• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

850 with 5500 trail miles

I think I will hang on to my 850. If I can get 5500 miles I will be totally happy. This is from hcs and this guy sound like honest and credible.
: 9000klm balance sheet
Last trip yesterday. Season of 9000 klm (5500 mi) Breakdown of breakdowns ....

No fouled Spark plug, changed to Iridium at 4000 klm. Keep the original as separate.
No bering etc. No intention to do the reflash.

Would have been a no-fault if not my last ride. I lost my little handles to click my 2 rear chucks. It would be worthwhile to check the tightness of the small screw mid-season otherwise put a drop of blue Loctite. Price: $ 50 cdn each for the piece of plastic !!! (Fortunately I'm told it's guaranteed ...)

Made 7000/9000 klm with the original strappe of which the last 2 thousand klm.

The Storm has even toned up that she will be doing part of the next year. Noisy though ...

Probably another Patriot if I let myself be tempted this spring but probably not an XC129. I found this suspension dry-stiff all year round. I tried another XC129 at the end of the season and he was wearing well. Chuck defective on mine? To check at the inter-season ....

P.S. And it's not because I treated it with small onions. Yesterday, miscalculated my needs, he ended the trip with ordinary gaz 87 outfitter and the mineral Castrol as a reward ... did not say a word!

I think I will hang on to my 850. If I can get 5500 miles I will be totally happy. This is from hcs and this guy sound like honest and credible.
: 9000klm balance sheet
Last trip yesterday. Season of 9000 klm (5500 mi) Breakdown of breakdowns ....

No fouled Spark plug, changed to Iridium at 4000 klm. Keep the original as separate.
No bering etc. No intention to do the reflash.

Would have been a no-fault if not my last ride. I lost my little handles to click my 2 rear chucks. It would be worthwhile to check the tightness of the small screw mid-season otherwise put a drop of blue Loctite. Price: $ 50 cdn each for the piece of plastic !!! (Fortunately I'm told it's guaranteed ...)

Made 7000/9000 klm with the original strappe of which the last 2 thousand klm.

The Storm has even toned up that she will be doing part of the next year. Noisy though ...

Probably another Patriot if I let myself be tempted this spring but probably not an XC129. I found this suspension dry-stiff all year round. I tried another XC129 at the end of the season and he was wearing well. Chuck defective on mine? To check at the inter-season ....

P.S. And it's not because I treated it with small onions. Yesterday, miscalculated my needs, he ended the trip with ordinary gaz 87 outfitter and the mineral Castrol as a reward ... did not say a word!

Kanedog!!!!!!
Need some help with this 1!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The guy is Quebecois. chucks are shocks. On the fts shock there is a set screw you have to loosen to turn the adjuster that fell out and the knob fell off. He is giving the nod to the longevity of the new 850.

Kanedog!!!!!!
Need some help with this 1!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
9000km in a year. Groomed trail rider. Low load on sled. Has no bearing on belt/bearing/clutch life. Unfotrunately this info is not pertinent.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

9000km in a year. Groomed trail rider. Low load on sled. Has no bearing on belt/bearing/clutch life. Unfotrunately this info is not pertinent.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

You are incorrect. While I agree, it's not as hard on a motor as mtn riding, this is just as relevant as every other post. 5600 miles is a lot. Especially when Dan has called the cylinder finish out. By your rationale, only the mountain sleds should have had any issues. Because why? Are the trail riders just idling around all day, not putting any hard miles or loading the engine? We all know that is not the case.
You're bias is shining through again bud.

Last edited:
You are incorrect. While I agree, it's not as hard on a motor as mtn riding, this is just as relevant as every other post. 5600 miles is a lot. Especially when Dan has called the cylinder finish out. By your rationale, only the mountain sleds should have had any issues. Because why? Are the trail riders just idling around all day, not putting any hard miles or loading the engine? We all know that is not the case.

That cylinder finish thing is a bunch of bs in my opinion

That cylinder finish thing is a bunch of bs in my opinion

Can you elaborate? It's an interesting potential issue and as a possible Polaris purchaser I'm curious whether it's a real problem or not. Thanks.

I agree that 5600 miles is a lot. How many hours is that? Maybe 100-150 hours of trail riding, still well within the bounds of decent top end life. Riding in the mountains I only get 1200-1500 miles from that many hours of use. I would be willing to bet that many more of them are WOT full load hours than those put on the trail sled too. It is a much bigger difference than you allude to. Pushing the sled through 2 feet of snow at full throttle is a lot more load on the engine than pinning it down the trail for a minute or two. So I agree that 5500 trail miles is a LOT different than mountain miles.

Can you elaborate? It's an interesting potential issue and as a possible Polaris purchaser I'm curious whether it's a real problem or not. Thanks.

We wont know for a while... The best Polaris motor builder in the world says it is going to be a problem. I would take his experience over Sheers any day... LOL

To be fair, it would be nice to see some end of season leak down tests this spring to see how they are holding up. Only time and testing will tell.

I honestly have been considering picking up an 850 Poo and sending the motor to Indy Dan for the fixes, THEN you would have a runner, with a warranty that is well supported and MUCH more piece of mind that the motor was built right and will last a few seasons for you.

I agree that 5600 miles is a lot. How many hours is that? Maybe 100-150 hours of trail riding, still well within the bounds of decent top end life. Riding in the mountains I only get 1200-1500 miles from that many hours of use. I would be willing to bet that many more of them are WOT full load hours than those put on the trail sled too. It is a much bigger difference than you allude to. Pushing the sled through 2 feet of snow at full throttle is a lot more load on the engine than pinning it down the trail for a minute or two. So I agree that 5500 trail miles is a LOT different than mountain miles.

If you get 150hrs and 1500 miles out of your motors, Then my grade school math tells me you are averaging 10mph. Fair enough. Now don't try to blow smoke up my arse and tell me you are running full throttle all of the time. Your whole post is just another thinly veiled disguise at taking someones good experience with their new motor and putting a bad spin on it. With all your crying over here, it just has to KILL you on the inside when people have good experiences with their Polaris'? You are a blessing on the polaris forum, thanks for sharing again..................... and again......... and again...... and again..... (see what I'm doing here?)

If you get 150hrs and 1500 miles out of your motors, Then my grade school math tells me you are averaging 10mph. Fair enough. Now don't try to blow smoke up my arse and tell me you are running full throttle all of the time. Your whole post is just another thinly veiled disguise at taking someones good experience with their new motor and putting a bad spin on it. With all your crying over here, it just has to KILL you on the inside when people have good experiences with their Polaris'? You are a blessing on the polaris forum, thanks for sharing again..................... and again......... and again...... and again..... (see what I'm doing here?)

Yah, this dude has no self control, no credibility, or a filter. There is a reason he has been banned several times. His posts have absolutely NOTHING of any value to add to the conversation. It's the same song - different verse - every time. YAWN!!

If he is having "push the sled through 2 feet of snow at full throttle", then that is a pretty weak and underpowered sled. Two feet of snow is nothing for a good sled. Four feet?, then yah, that might require full throttle.

Sure makes a good lap dog for Cat though. Bet they are proud of him being such a "respected" ambassador for their brand . . . or not! haha!

Last edited:
I absolutely fail to understand how my opinion on this discussion forum is any more or less valid than any of yours. You know what they say about opinions... Trying to take personal shots is what is distracting from the discussion, not my disagreement with your's and other assessment of what is going on with Polaris' new most durable motor ever... It amazes me how it pushes you to personal attacks, just because we have had different experiences with Polaris products.

Like I have stated before, consider it a PSA. Those considering these machines should be hearing both sides and in no way have I overshadowed the propaganda going the other way. Some of you obviously think it is the greatest. Seems like quite a few have had problems.

So you state your side over and over and over again... Seems that every once in a while somebody needs to come in and remind those reading what some of the pitfalls may be. Clearly many of you would rather just sweep those possibilities under the rug.

I think my posts add more to the conversation than the shots back with no content other than "that guy is just a troll" ... I see how that really helps!

Last edited:
If you get 150hrs and 1500 miles out of your motors, Then my grade school math tells me you are averaging 10mph. Fair enough. Now don't try to blow smoke up my arse and tell me you are running full throttle all of the time. Your whole post is just another thinly veiled disguise at taking someones good experience with their new motor and putting a bad spin on it.

No, simply stating that there is a much larger difference than you seem to want to assign. A better question would be how many hours on that engine, 150? 250? 250 would be impressive, 150 still pretty low time. That makes the high mileage claim a little deceiving doesn't it? OK to try and spin it that way though I suppose...

I do not see the "bad spin" there unless you are somehow predisposed to reading such things in...

With all your crying over here, it just has to KILL you on the inside when people have good experiences with their Polaris'? You are a blessing on the polaris forum, thanks for sharing again..................... and again......... and again...... and again..... (see what I'm doing here?)

Nope, missed again... I have stated repeatedly that I do hope they get it sorted. I see again how omitting those comments of mine furthers the idea that I am trolling...

So yes, I see what you are doing again and again and again, trying to discourage my comments because I disagree with you. That is usually how it goes when you run out of valid arguments.

If you get 150hrs and 1500 miles out of your motors, Then my grade school math tells me you are averaging 10mph. Fair enough. Now don't try to blow smoke up my arse and tell me you are running full throttle all of the time.

...but you have ridden in the mountains yes? So you know that full throttle in deep snow on a stock machine yields 30-35 mph, except probably Timbres 850 which I am sure is good for 50 mph bone stock LOL. Since you are from MN I also assume you run 60-70 mph with the same throttle setting as it takes in the mtns to do half that. The mtn sled is still running harder than the trail sled almost all the time.

Anyway, spin it how you like. I find it pretty funny how that story in horrific english was acceptable when others have been persecuted by you guys for nothing more than a low post count...

So just like the real world, there seems to be a spin from both sides, crazy I know.

Well so far its no prob, and i dont think its going to be, according to some dude named dan he dosent like the way the hone comes from the factory, than all the people like big 10 pipe up and get on the crappy hone bandwagon, with no real failures and problums comeing from it , so i chock it up to people looking for this thing to fail, but it is not happening... i think the real story with these engines are they f-ed up assembeling them, they used too much silicone with the case halfs and some excess would come off and block an oil line, takeing out the motor, or the pto main would walk over and hit the crank.... since this has happend they have re-vamped the assy line to remedy these probs.... this whole thing has been a prob with production and not with the motor itself, mechanically if you ask me its fine.... and the failures got super over hyped on here

Premium Features

Back