• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

850 Top end

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Whats the thoughts on pistons and rings needing to be changed out in these engines? What mileage and should it be done based on mileage or compression?
If you are able to do regular compression tests, and it passes, then the milage hasn't worn out the parts yet.
The real issue is will YOU do the top end yourself, or be forced to schedule your sled into a shop right in the middle of the season when you could end up without the sled for weeks while you wait on parts.

If doing it yourself, order the parts and keep them on your shelf.
When she fails the compression test, YOU can do the rebuild pretty much right on the spot.

B
Nov 29, 2007
Sicamous
If you are able to do regular compression tests, and it passes, then the milage hasn't worn out the parts yet.
The real issue is will YOU do the top end yourself, or be forced to schedule your sled into a shop right in the middle of the season when you could end up without the sled for weeks while you wait on parts.

When she fails the compression test, YOU can do the rebuild pretty much right on the spot.
Would do myself. Just curious because my experience with 800HO and 800etec was crank runout was out of spec while compression was still in spec.

A
Jun 15, 2020
Смотря какой пробег! Микротрещины на поршнях могут угробить двигател. На своём G4 поменял кольца на пробеге в 5000 км

Blainelukens

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 18, 2010
Bozeman, MT
I haven’t seen a lot of top ends go on these 850 motors. The 19 my wife is on now went to 2900 miles no problems. With no real sign it lost a bearing in the bottom end, luckily it was still under warranty. I had a buddy do a top end last year as preventative maintenance and then he lost the same bearing in the bottom end. It was the bearing that holds the connecting rod to the crank. I’m not saying this is the case for all of them but I personally have only seen bottom end failures, there are also a few in our group that have 4-6k miles with no issues original everything.

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
Considering most sleds probably have an hour meter, I would really be curious how many hours and miles a sled has before it needs a top end and/or crank bearings.

jdog1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2007
Have put over 4,000 miles on before with no problems.

MARV1

Lifetime Membership
May 3, 2004
Kotlik, AK
Lose a piston at high rpm you’re gonna lose the cylinder and crankcase. Did that at 2700 miles. My boy however went 7400 before he lost compression and cylinder on a 2019 850.

Ox

Snowest's Axe Murderer
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
NW Ohio
www.midwestproductionmachining.com
If you are losing lower end bearings, my guess is that the oil is set too low.
No idea how that can be adjusted?
I know the 850 doesn't have a throttle cable splitter going to the oil pump.

Ox

Snowest's Axe Murderer
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
NW Ohio
www.midwestproductionmachining.com
I haven’t seen a lot of top ends go on these 850 motors. The 19 my wife is on now went to 2900 miles no problems. With no real sign it lost a bearing in the bottom end, luckily it was still under warranty. I had a buddy do a top end last year as preventative maintenance and then he lost the same bearing in the bottom end. It was the bearing that holds the connecting rod to the crank. I’m not saying this is the case for all of them but I personally have only seen bottom end failures, there are also a few in our group that have 4-6k miles with no issues original everything.

Doo you know what oil they were running in each case?

turbo800

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Northern,UT

I lost the engine in my '17 last spring at 4000 miles.
I thought it would hear the rattle signs of piston skirt collapse...nope.
Earlier in the day, ran just as good as it ever had.
It peeled the top of the piston off above the ring on the exhaust port side...at just above IDLE going down though the trees!

I agree with you, have the parts ready to go so you can minimize the downtime, if you don't already plan on doing it during the summer (recommended).

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I lost the engine in my '17 last spring at 4000 miles.
I thought it would hear the rattle signs of piston skirt collapse...nope.
Earlier in the day, ran just as good as it ever had.
It peeled the top of the piston off above the ring on the exhaust port side...at just above IDLE going down though the trees!

I agree with you, have the parts ready to go so you can minimize the downtime, if you don't already plan on doing it during the summer (recommended).
What a TESTAMENT to how well built these engines are now.

turbo800

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Northern,UT
Ski doo XPS 2T synthetic
That's what I'm running in my turbo '17
It was a rental prior to me owning it, running XPS 2T as well.
I've always run Klotz in previous sleds, aside from the cost of XPS...I'm sold on it.
I've even switched over my oil injected Husky TE300i dirt bike from Motorex to XPS 2T.

Premium Features