• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

850 cold start flooding

P
Dec 26, 2019
I was curious if anyone has had flooding issues with the 850 khaos? The last 3 times I've gone for a cold start I've had to remove the spark plugs and remove power from the fuel pump to get it started.

• 2 Stars
Reactions: goridedoo

rocket

Premium Member
Jul 20, 2001
Wisconsin
The 850s are VERY rich during break-in and use plenty of oil. My '19 was like a mosquito fogger when I first got it. I never fouled any plugs, but it sure sounded like I was going to a few times.

Murph

Polaris Moderator/ Polaris Ambassador/ Klim Amb.
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
I haven't experienced a true flooded/ non-start episode on 2020.....

BUT I have noticed that if I ride sled all day without issue and then load on my sled deck and drive ten miles home (with sun going down temperature dropping) the sled is a little stubborn to start--- usually takes three good --long-- pulls.

Reactions: tdorval and Cerez86

deschutes

Lifetime Membership
Jan 22, 2008
Two 2020 850's. Both difficult to start after every shutdown, even when warm. This started shortly into the break-in. You need to use the two hand method to get them to run, one hand to pull the handle and one feathering the throttle. We also had two 2019 850's, which we never had starting issues with.

Hoping this cleans up after break-in and fresh plugs, but definitely annoying.

Maybe Polaris should think about including a spare set of plugs with every sled, since they all seem to need them to run correctly out of break-in for one reason or another. ; )

Last edited:

hamlin

Lifetime Membership
Sep 13, 2013
I have a 2020 that will not start without cracking the throttle when warm many times. If my wife rides it and she doesn’t pull the rope hard enough it will flood and then it’s very difficult to start. I’ll have to hold it wide open and pull 6-8 times before it will even sputter. I thought it was a break in thing, but I’ve got 16 hours on it now so it should be through that. Dealer checked if there are any updated flashes last weekend and he said there were not.

Sinister306

Premium Member
Sep 6, 2014
Saskatchewan
I have a 2020 that will not start without cracking the throttle when warm many times. If my wife rides it and she doesn’t pull the rope hard enough it will flood and then it’s very difficult to start. I’ll have to hold it wide open and pull 6-8 times before it will even sputter. I thought it was a break in thing, but I’ve got 16 hours on it now so it should be through that. Dealer checked if there are any updated flashes last weekend and he said there were not.

I'm running a 2020 Khaos with the exact same situation as you , and yes very annoying. Also just a side note i have 12 hours on my sled right now but only 3.5 hours above 5500 rpm so still another 6.5 to go before it's fully out of break in

Last edited:

wfieldin

Lifetime Membership
Jul 28, 2009
Denver
Mine is flooding out at cold start, over 200 miles and 18.5 hours. Got to have the wrong map in it.

CaptNCoke

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Edgewood, Wa
Mine did the same thing this past weekend up at grizzly lodge.
it was really hard to get started in the cold weather in the morning. Day 2 I had to throw new plugs in and give some throttle to get it to start. No warm start issues yet.

hamlin

Lifetime Membership
Sep 13, 2013
My sled has been starting better warm now, but now the last two days I have had to unhook power to the fuel pump to get it to start cold. Last three days riding- first was -13* started fine, next was -3* no start tried new plugs and ended up unhooking pump to get it to take off, today was +10* had to unhook pump to get it to run. It will sputter second pull then nothing, unhook pump starts second or third pull and runs a second or so, plug back in and it will start

H
Mar 25, 2019
I had this isue on my 2019 850 pro Rmk last year, got it reflashed and haven't had flooding problems on start up anymore, but
I have fouled 3 spark plugs on cold start ups in the mourning as soon as i pull on the dam cord this year. I have almost 100h on the 850 and still foul plugs like crazy, 6 plugs already this year and i have only been out 5 times. While i'm riding it will bog just before the spark plug is completely fouled (like if it's getting to much fuel on one cylinder or something). I know it's not a Kahos but the symptoms are quite simular. I will be bringing my sled to the dealers and will contact Polaris next week to get the 2020 reflash, and hope they have some sort of idea for a solution to this problem because it's getting a little pathetic.

hamlin

Lifetime Membership
Sep 13, 2013
There is a plug above left shock tower, I can take a pic when I get home from work

RMK-King

Super-Moderator
Dec 25, 2007
North Dakota
I had this happen to my 2019 one time, it was a -11F morning so the engine spun over slow when I pulled the rope and after a couple pulls the plugs were wet. I swapped plugs, held the throttle wide open and it started. Mine has always started the first pull when warm. That was with the 19.5 reflash.

Last edited:

PaulAnd

Premium Member
Oct 17, 2010
Northern IL.
Anybody find a fix for this?
We have a 19 850 174 in our group
Had to pull the plugs and pull over the motor a few times to blow out the fuel,
Did not think to pull fuel pump connector..
I would say close to 250 miles, not sure on break in, Seams to be getting worse.
Not sure wot while pulling motor over shuts off the injectors like a car?
Clear flood mode?
Thanks for any input!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How many of you guys have electric start and this is occurring? I know when its cold I will pull over my sled a couple times, then I will use my electric start and it turns over for a bit before it catches,.. other than that I am still on original plugs. When sled is warm half pull on rope and it will start,.. same with key, engine kicks half turn and fires.

Seems almost like ecu is advancing fuel vs temperature and its not working properly causing flooding.

Reactions: tdorval
J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
Have seen some with injectors that leaked down while parked/not in use. Causing fouled plugs on cold start

PaulAnd

Premium Member
Oct 17, 2010
Northern IL.
Sled starts great in the morning..
The 2 times it wouldn’t start it had been sitting about 5-10 min. Facing down a steep hill,
Probably about 3/4 full fuel tank..
Definitely flooded tho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Premium Features