• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

800 Recall question???

B

BigTruck

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I have an 09 800 RMK 155. The sled runs flawlessly. We unload right at around 3000 feet and ride upwards of 5-6K. I am leary about having the sled torn apart and the new pistons and head installed. As stated the sled runs perfect now and I dont want any future problems. Do I have the update installed and deal with it? Or do I just leave it alone and go with the "if it aint broke dont fix it" mentallity??

Would appreciate some input here.

Thanks in advance.

BigTruck.

Look at it this way, you get a fresh motor for free, an additional 1 year motor warrenty, and piece of mind that if you ignore the update and blow it up later that poo wont tell you too bad theres no more parts til the end of the year.

I think that if you are worried about the update, you should wait untill guys get some time on them to see how they like the changes, and how they hold up. You should have till the end of the season to get it done.

I have an 09 800 RMK 155. The sled runs flawlessly. We unload right at around 3000 feet and ride upwards of 5-6K. I am leary about having the sled torn apart and the new pistons and head installed. As stated the sled runs perfect now and I dont want any future problems. Do I have the update installed and deal with it? Or do I just leave it alone and go with the "if it aint broke dont fix it" mentallity??

Would appreciate some input here.

Thanks in advance.

BigTruck.

That is a tough decision to make. As Mountainhorse told me,"you already know the one you have is problematic". However, their new update is just new "unproven" parts.
I'm going to play the waiting game and see how the early season riders are liking it. If yours is running good I wouldn't get in a hurry. You would be awfully upset if you updated like a lot of riders last season and ended up with something that runs worse.
Not that I feel we should have to, but we can get a fair amount of aftermarket support for these now. Pistons and fuel controllers are available to make them right.
Just my thoughts on it.

have you pulled the power valves and looked at your pistons? They are single ring pistons and the tolerance's are very "sloppy" the new doublering piston has a greatly improved tolerance from puston to cyl. wall.

You are doing what i would call risk management. I would get it done and not wait to something happens in the middle of the season and your sled is down for a couple of weekends(not that ,that cant happen anyway) but none the less mine was down for two monthes last season waiting for parts. I would say better safe than sorry. With the cost for Polaris to do this repair with all the testing, parts, epa reviews and giving some extra warranty time extensions I would think that they are not planning on a repeat SANFU.

Cheers

All good input. I just know how my sled runs now and dont want it to be problematic... Also Im used to doing all of my own wrenching on my sled and with this recall (the only one ive ever had) I have to let someone else do it! I know it should be done however, im still hesitant to let someone else work on my stuff that is getting paid flat rate. (the faster you work the more you get paid)...

I think I know how you feel about not wanting to fix something that still works great. I am buying a 09 D8 myself, and it's getting the update.

Since you asked, my take on the issue is to get the update done. This way, they will stand behind the end result.

I'm leary of who I let work on my stuff, but I have found a great dealer with a great attitude and reputation, (Skagit Valley Polaris) and I'm willing to trust them.

My humble opinion, get the update. If it comes back to bite folks, I believe it won't be just a select few, it would be a larger group, and give Polaris a chance to make it right.

Best wishes

Polar,

I agree with you that Dan at Skagit would make sure the job get's done right. Unfortunatley, im not driving all the way up from Maple Valley to find out. If I do decide to have the work done it will be done at my new local dealership and I will just have to go over everything they do. I used to own the Polaris shope here but have since moved on.... It is a bit frustrating to let anyone touch your stuff..........:cool:

I just purchased a holdover '09 and am having the update done before I pick it up this Friday... I can't wait!

Well big truck you can always bring it up to me at clems, done a few now and would have to say I would feel better with the updated motor and download. Every motor I have pulled down has had fouled plugs, almost stuck powervalves and wrist pin bearing that didnt look the best to say the least! Really like the two ring piston for motor life and transfer of piston heat. I go beyond just the recall and make sure everything is top notch. :D

Well big truck you can always bring it up to me at clems, done a few now and would have to say I would feel better with the updated motor and download. Every motor I have pulled down has had fouled plugs, almost stuck powervalves and wrist pin bearing that didnt look the best to say the least! Really like the two ring piston for motor life and transfer of piston heat. I go beyond just the recall and make sure everything is top notch. :D

You have a PM!

When do you want it??

i know this isnt really about if you should or shouldnt do the upgrade..but i read about dealerS on here soooo.. i got to give a big thumbs up to my dealer."m&m performace in kelowna" i just got a letter invitation to the 25th open house.. they will have marty sampson polaris`s lead development engineer for thr rmk line there. to answer any questions we have about the update, plus they are sending all 08-09 rmk customer`s a more detailed letter about the upgrade. now i have to say i was getting a bit sick of polaris`s recall stuff.. but with a dealer like this i gotta stay for 1 more year anyway..cheers M&M:beer;

I was pondering the same issue myself. My 08 800 Dragon has run great ever since I recieved it. Been riding it for 2 seasons already and have over 2500 miles on it. I decided to go ahead and have it done now so it will not interfere with my riding later. My dealer tore my sled down yesterday. The kit consists of new pistons, head and a remap. They need to order the kit for your sled first, after it is torn down they are to inspect the cylinders, hone the cylinders and recheck to make sure there are no other flaws. After they tore mine down they inspected the cylinders and found hairline cracks in the cylinders that ran between the ports. Now they order the cylinder so I do get a new cylinder...which is good I am not complaining. But if it were riding season I would be out a couple weeks of riding whike aiting for parts to come in. Again, my sled always ran great, had no remapping or anything else so I was thinking it would be fine also. Not sure what kind of damage the cracks may have cost but would rather get rid of them under warranty..:beer;

I have an 08 ..it has ripped since new..first season I put 2000 miles on it with out any issues other then a slight gurgle when riding under 3000 ft. elevation..start of last season the dealer did the 09 update..it went 400 miles before doing a midrange steady throttle seize(my buddy was riding it and I forgot to tell him to ride it like a mod)..dealer fixed it..put 200 more miles on it and it will be going in as soon as I get done with the mods I am doing to it for this season(camo ex 2.5 , fastrax drop and roll, and holz a-arms).From what I have heard from 2 very good sources is that this will make these motors run and be reliable...(I dont think polaris could afford another season of pissed off riders on their premeire machine.....)

Had the 09 update done to my 08 800, just after christmas last year, because of alltitude problems and a cooked cylinder. Taking it back in this month for the new update. Hopefully it fixes the lingering problems i found last year. I say good on Polaris for doing this, they have a great product here and when the bugs are gone it will be tough to beat.

I am going to schedule the appointment.. I really hope this is the right thing to do. As stated, the sled has had zero problems (other than the stutter below 3000 ft that everyone has.) Hopefully all goes well and I'll have a better running sled than before.:D

Big Truck I'm there with you as well but on an 2008 155, believe me I don't want to fix something that's not broken but I feel like it's the right thing to do, hopefully since Polaris is spending millions of their own money they might get it right this time. LETS HOPE!

I just took the plunge today and took both of mine to the dealer for the updates. One with turbo and one w/o. Fingers are crossed, but have tons of confidence in the guys at Carls Cycle to make sure they both are running perfectly.

Good luck to us all.... cheers!:beer;

Premium Features

Back