• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

7S display malfunction

turbo218

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Kalispell, MT
I have a boost slash 165 with the 7S display and at roughly 100 miles it quit communicating with the sled, I lost all my break in info, lost all engine hrs. miles, tach and MPH do not read, the temp gauge reads 32 degrees at all time and the fuel gauge reads 0%, the altimeter seems to still work and the gauge powers up and I can toggle through all functions. I did the software update and that did not do anything other than add the smart warmer provision that does not apply to the sled and a few different non essential items, so basically the update was not a solution, my dealer told me to start there, the sled still seems to run good with no issues other than 7S display malfunction.......anyone else run into issues like this with the 7S display??? Looks like a trip to the dealer!! Thanks in advance for any positive info.

tahoe151

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Truckee
One thing you might check is pull the connector under the hood and see if it got any moisture in it. Had my gauge not turn on yesterday at the parking lot shut off the sled with the key and restarted it and it has been good since. A little dielectric grease couldn’t hurt either.

P
Feb 9, 2019
So on mine sometimes if I leave the key on and shut the engine of with the kill switch and let it sit for 5 min or so when I start it back up the rpm and eng temp won't display, I have to turn the key off and back on then everything works fine, it's definitely a computer issue not a connection.

K
Nov 6, 2013
"I lost all my break in info, lost all engine hrs. miles, tach and MPH do not read, the temp gauge reads 32 degrees at all time and the fuel gauge reads 0%, the altimeter seems to still work and the gauge powers up and I can toggle through all functions."

This tells me its a communication issue with the ECU and the rest of the mapping/GPS sensors work fine. My guess is the internal communication board of the 7s has a hardware failure.... Let us know what you find.

Squirreler

Premium Member
Feb 15, 2018
Not to jack the thread but how do you see break in information?

2e5cbde2d1e6e5499bc95e71839c8fb8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

turbo218

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Kalispell, MT
I have tried all basic solutions such as connections, display battery voltage/charge, main battery voltage (estart sled), removed negative battery terminal and hooked back up, software update, went through fuse pannel even though voltage dont seem to be an issue, for now the sled still runs good so I will continue to ride, I can not get to my dealer until next friday but I will report the findings when a solution is found. More than likely a bad display or hardware issue I assume?? Any suggestions or knowledge on the issue I am all ears!! Thanks SW.

P
Feb 9, 2019
So I think I found the problem with my 7s display losing eng temp and rpm. I took the hood off and on the back of the display there is a 6 pin plug that was just kinda sitting there it was not plugged in all the way, I plugged it in and rode today some and it's working good. Every time you open the storage tithe display pulls on the wires, I also noticed the wires were rubbing on the air intake box and getting cut. I put a piece of rubber hose over the intake box edge. You guys might want to check the wires at the display for rubbing and or not being plugged in.

T
Dec 13, 2007
Truckee, CA
Anyone else have an issue with their 7S not shutting down when the key is turned off? Screen stays on but should be powered down when key is in off position. The display worked properly until after our last ride, probably 5 or 6 rides no issues.
Sled shuts off with key, no issue. Pull start version, no e-start.
Curious if anyone has experience with and a fix for this other than the dealer.

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
Mine doesn't turn off right away with the key off. Takes a few minutes. I haven't had my die yet either. My buddies was completely dead because he left the key on for 2 days parked in the garage.

MTN Powderhound

Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2009
Smithers B.C.
Anyone else have an issue with their 7S not shutting down when the key is turned off? Screen stays on but should be powered down when key is in off position. The display worked properly until after our last ride, probably 5 or 6 rides no issues.
Sled shuts off with key, no issue. Pull start version, no e-start.
Curious if anyone has experience with and a fix for this other than the dealer.
Have a buddy with this same issue, stays on for 15 minutes. Anyone hear if its a gauge problem or something else?

C

cortez

Feb 12, 2009
I believe the manual says that the display turns off after 'X' number of minutes of the key being switched off and "Y" number of minutes after the engine is killed even with key in the "on" position... I'd have to dig in the 7S section of my manual to find it but I know I read that in there.

jdtech65

Lifetime Membership
Oct 10, 2008
Northwest IA
I noticed this week on my 7s display that I would lose engine rpm, mph and coolant temp and gps tracking. Everything else would display. I noticed it 3 times the last day where I would lose all that information. I would stop and shut off the sled with the key switch and then take off again a few minutes later and not have any of that information displayed on the 7s. I could always shut the key off and let it power off and restart the sled and then get it all to come back. I checked the connections between the hood and display and didn’t see any water or loose connections.

Also the last day when we got back to the trailer the key does not power off the display anymore. I shut the key off and the display stays powered up along with the little lights in the headlight. I haven’t pulled the key switch off to check power thru it yet but I was leaning towards a bad key switch possibly.

Has anyone else experienced either of these symptoms?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
On these that are having power down issues, I wonder if the connection that is above the belt drive might have come loose or is corroded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Premium Features