• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2023 KTM 450SXF bolt ons

J

Jaynelson

Has anyone messed with this particular year of 450SXF with much success? Have a buddy who is disappointed in his 23 after coming off a 2019 450SXF - the earlier bikes had the angrier motor in them that made a bit more power. Any ideas what he would see for HP gains with just a Vortex and an exhaust? Anyone been down that road or come across any dyno figures for such a thing?

Has anyone messed with this particular year of 450SXF with much success? Have a buddy who is disappointed in his 23 after coming off a 2019 450SXF - the earlier bikes had the angrier motor in them that made a bit more power. Any ideas what he would see for HP gains with just a Vortex and an exhaust? Anyone been down that road or come across any dyno figures for such a thing?
I'd really like to know myself, as I thought the buzz was that the 23/24 KTM/Husky bikes were the ones to get -- and I have a '19 that runs great......so let's hear about it please, folks.

^ For motocross/any riding with tires they definitely are, the motor is much smoother and more rideable on the 23+ ...I can vouch for that. Big upgrade over the old bikes IMO.

I personally have not compared on snow...which we know prioritizes max RPM/top end power over a well-rounded motor....and that's where buddy felt the 23 was behind a bit.

^ For motocross/any riding with tires they definitely are, the motor is much smoother and more rideable on the 23+ ...I can vouch for that. Big upgrade over the old bikes IMO.

I personally have not compared on snow...which we know prioritizes max RPM/top end power over a well-rounded motor....and that's where buddy felt the 23 was behind a bit.

This goes against everything that I've heard and experienced with the 23+ bikes. Makes me wonder if your buddies bike is not running right? I don't really notice a huge increase in top end over the 19-22 bikes but the 23+ definitely hits much harder on the bottom end when in the white map.

As far as customers go, all of mine have been very happy with the new motor and many claim it's much better than the previous one.

Thanks - it could be a bike or rider thing I agree...like I say my experience on dirt with the 23-24 motor is very positive as well, . Was surprised to hear he wasn't impressed on snow.

I'd be interested to hear:

- Experiences from other's who've run snow on 23+ KTM 450's, and have also owned earlier years
- Original question on any mod success on the 23+ bikes.

Interesting. The term "angrier" usually is a good thing for snow bikes and a bad thing for dirt, hence the problem we've always had, a good snow bike makes a crappy dirt bike and vice versa. That's why we need a dedicated build. The four strokes do crossover pretty good with a dual map computer. If the factory could build a map and cam profile that would throw an extra five horsepower wallop right in the middle of the power band it would never get the traction to win a Motocross shoot out but we would love it.

I had a 2020 KTM 450 sx-f Factory and it was a brute, one could not modulate the throttle, bad engine braking, throttle was either on or off. As a snowbike the engine braking was a bad issue however the throttle modulation smoothed out. first year I installed a Vortex first off to clean up the oil, the side benefit was better throttle control, not a lot of power gain. The second year I installed a DCR V4 cam, best snowbike mod I did, power increase through the RPM range with lots on top (right up to 10,000 RPM) the stock cam runs out of steam above 8,700 RPM (I installed a Tach). I once tried the vortex and the cam as a dirt bike , I don't recommend it but it was fun. I now have a 2023 gasgas MC450f Factory, this is a much more refined weapon all around, while I haven't converted it to a snowbike yet if I do have any power issues the 2 additions I will make is a Vortex from Jamie Ellis and a DCR cam, maybe not a V4 as it requires special valve shims but definitely look at the V3.

Have two 2022 450 XCFs which are basically identical to a SXF sans kickstand, gas tank and 18" rear wheel and also have a 2023 450 XCF. One 2022 450 is a snowbike and the 2023 450 is also a snow bike. The 23 runs hard and has more power than my 2022s. Before I converted the 2023 450 I rode 50 ish miles of dirt and it flat rips. Frame is REALLY stiff when new but on the snow cant tell and it works really well. My buddy has a 2023 FC450 and we converted that to snow last year and it ripped too. Husky did not have quite as much hit in the mid range as the 23 KTM but more than the 2022 KTM 450

Last edited:
After having owned a few pre-2023 450’s and now having owned a few 2023+ 450s and 300, the 2023+ bikes are better. I especially notice the different rider ergonomics, and the bike feels more abrupt and better power. Bigger footpegs and slightly different stance made the difference. For me the 2023+ bikes were KTM’s best built bike to date.

Premium Features

Back