• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2022 Yeti Freeride Vs 129 Riot 3 Pro.

I went through the same thought process last spring and decided to snow check a 2022 129 Freeride. I've ridden the 2021 Yeti a lot so I had a good basis for my decision. There were no Timbersleds to be ridden so that was a factor. I have ridden the Aro 3 but not a Riot, I don't know anyone who actually owns a Riot. Your riding style sounds familiar to mine. A close friend of mine is a tester for Yeti and last season basically nothing broke in over 100 days of extremely hard riding. It was the first season ever. This is the season to buy a Yeti if you were worried about it breaking, everything is fixed. As far a shocks go I snow checked so I went for the Elka 5s which IMO are a better shock than the TS offering but you know they are all good. If I was solely focused on side hilling I'd be taking a pretty hard look at the Aro3 if I was buying a TS because that thing side hills. The Yeti carves as good as anything out there. The new Yeti spindle is aluminum and shortens the wheel base of the kit which is going to help handling in tight trees. I guess time will tell but at least i don't have to think about it anymore, now I can just wait.

M5
The Elka 5 is a great shox however keep in mind it is a longer shox which increases the approach angle, Its the best choice for drops however the shallower approach angle of the elka 3 will climb to the surface in the deep powder better. The 2021 Yeti have all been flawless, no issues everything that has been suspect has been redesigned, Top notch design, All Ti bolts and nuts on the kit , Ti jackshaft and driveshaft and axle, Wider belt drive, nothing has kept up to these kits even the T3 inch except when crawling slowly through the deep where the 3 inch had a slight advantage , On the power the yeti out performed every option out there.

I understand the shock length difference but I wanted both the compression and rebound adjustment of the 5. It wont be a problem tuning the front shock to work the way I want it too.

I understand the shock length difference but I wanted both the compression and rebound adjustment of the 5. It wont be a problem tuning the front shock to work the way I want it too.
I ran the 5s on shop demo bike , It allowed the front to raise further under throttle, Only noticeable when climbing , Its was better on set snow and drops than the 3, worst climbing in deep powder since under throttle the front will full extend and trench more.

I went with an In season Yeti 2022,129 FR with Cargo rack, wheel kit and bogie wheels. I almost got a riot 3 pro in blk or blue (only 2 snowchecks dealer had) but I think i'm happy with my decision. Thanks for the feedback, I'm looking forward to the season. Hopefully mother nature treats northern Utah better than last year.

We have guy dumping the 3 inch T sled kits , Track eats too much power, they will crawl in the deep very well but lack track speed compared to the newer Yeti. We likely have some 2020 3 inch t sled take off kits for sale as owners who run it last season are switching to Yeti.
What kind of prices are the last year 3" aro going for?
I might need to connect with one of those guys.
I think most of the guys in my riding group will be on aro3s
Could be helpful with spare parts, tuning etc.

Does the 3 inch paddle work better in dry Colorado snow than it would in cascade or less Idaho snow?

Last edited:
don't no about Co snow, just that it has a huge rotating mass and eats power. Our sleds all run 3 inch however they have 160HP and a CVT clutch that gears down automatically to maintain the correct RPM. The Yeti will hold high RPM which with a gearbox relates to high track speed. Its RPM that builds track speed and what most important on snowbikes.

don't no about Co snow, just that it has a huge rotating mass and eats power. Our sleds all run 3 inch however they have 160HP and a CVT clutch that gears down automatically to maintain the correct RPM. The Yeti will hold high RPM which with a gearbox relates to high track speed. Its RPM that builds track speed and what most important on snowbikes.
Is it the mass, or the hookup that is the issue, or both?
Is there much weight difference.
I spent a solid 2 minutes trying to find the weights of these tracks.
Damn interwebs broken

Track weight is going to be interesting to compare. Both tracks are 129, Yeti is a 2.6 with 2.86 spacing. Tsled is 3.0 (actually 2.8) with 3 spacing. Yeti is 12 wide, tsled is 11.5.....personally I think they're pretty close.

Track weight is going to be interesting to compare. Both tracks are 129, Yeti is a 2.6 with 2.86 spacing. Tsled is 3.0 (actually 2.8) with 3 spacing. Yeti is 12 wide, tsled is 11.5.....personally I think they're pretty close.
Its 33 lbs 129 FR vs 38 lbs Riot 3 5lbs of rotating mass. Everyone made a big deal when Timbersled cut 2 lbs from their kits drive.

Is it the mass, or the hookup that is the issue, or both?
Is there much weight difference.
I spent a solid 2 minutes trying to find the weights of these tracks.
Damn interwebs broken
Belt drive instantly adds usable HP and RPM at 60 HP @ sea level and 40 ish at elevation The track loads become very apparent, In fact the 2022 2.6 yeti track has Less total paddle area than the 2021 2.5 track and claims are it holds rpm better and it should for the guys at elevation , The Yeti kit is Much lighter than all the other kits, No other kit has Belt drive, Carbon tunnel , every bolt/nut is titanium and all the shafts' are titanium. T sled has Steel shafts, steel bolts, Chain drive and aluminum tunnel. On the snow weight is everything and allows more usable HP . {Lbs per hp }. So I'm pro Yeti simply due to the advanced materials/design used.. Rotating mass quickly eats RPM , The Vernon snow testing reflects this on the Yeti vs T sled. On a gear box bike the track speed in any gear can be calculated with good track speed gains with an additional 4-500 rpm. The CMX track is a good design as well however the belting is Thick ,same as a sled track, The track was 6 lbs heavier than yeti track and struggles to hold the same RPM mounted on the same bike run side by side, CMX does share the belt drive system.

Belt drive instantly adds usable HP and RPM at 60 HP @ sea level and 40 ish at elevation The track loads become very apparent, In fact the 2022 2.6 yeti track has Less total paddle area than the 2021 2.5 track and claims are it holds rpm better and it should for the guys at elevation , The Yeti kit is Much lighter than all the other kits, No other kit has Belt drive, Carbon tunnel , every bolt/nut is titanium and all the shafts' are titanium. T sled has Steel shafts, steel bolts, Chain drive and aluminum tunnel. On the snow weight is everything and allows more usable HP . {Lbs per hp }. So I'm pro Yeti simply due to the advanced materials/design used.. Rotating mass quickly eats RPM , The Vernon snow testing reflects this on the Yeti vs T sled. On a gear box bike the track speed in any gear can be calculated with good track speed gains with an additional 4-500 rpm. The CMX track is a good design as well however the belting is Thick ,same as a sled track, The track was 6 lbs heavier than yeti track and struggles to hold the same RPM mounted on the same bike run side by side, CMX does share the belt drive system.
Are you a retailer of either kit?

From my research prices are about the same 129 FR and a Riot 3S Pro with the new TSS. The Yeti is about 26 Lbs lighter overall. Overall gearing between the 2 is close so there's efficiencies in the drive. For myself I'm installing a TKI. I like the idea of the S model.

Gearing is not that close. The Yeti is geared up quite a bit after you consider a 2.86x7 vs 3.0 x6. Drivers to track. The driver alone is 10% faster.
Before drivers the kits come to.

13>17 > 17>18= .7222% Aro 3 with 18 inch driver
13>17 > 18>17= .8096% Riot 120 with 17.16 inch driver
13>16 > 41>47= .7087% Yeti 129 with 20.02 driver

After considering driver and using Yeti as the constant.
.6480% Aro 3
.6925% Riot 120
.7087% Yeti 129 Tallest Geared.

They are 6% of eachother. or 53 vs 56.18 mph so I guess they are pretty close.

Changing the drive sprocket on the bike from 13 to 14 teeth is 9%, just sayin. Kit gearing is irrelevant its pretty simple to make the gearing on any kit whatever you want.

M5

13 to 14 tooth is 7.69 % gearing increase. Its significate and can alter a whole gear while riding.I gear very high and 1st gear is 32 MPH track speed , This makes first a climbing gear with 5 a true overdrive down the trail

Last edited:
I have both… in deep Utah powder hard to beat the traction of the 3 now in year around conditions the 20 yeti free ride is a blast and super nimble … honestly you can’t go wrong …

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I wonder if the 22 with the .1 inch larger track I mean the aro3 is only .3 supposedly

Premium Features

Back