• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2022-2023 Black Hills Conditions

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
This was a strange storm. Area around Lead received 4 foot and it is still snowing off and on. Trailshead got 6 inches. The 4 feet in Lead is very lighg and there is almost no base. This will need to settle to be ridable. Snow is only good for submarining into stumps and rocks. The snow around trailshead was a dense dry snow plus there was some base prior to the storm. I did not hear how much snow they got North towards Cement Ridge but I did hear that Spearfish got 2 feet. North had the best base prior to this storm. Groomers going out tomorrow night. I am glad I finished the trail inspections yesterday. riding 82 miles of trail with 4 foot of bottomless powder might of been miserable.

Super 8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2012
Are any of the lots plowed open? Wondering if if there's enough snow at the Custer Peak or Dumont Lot or if it's better to park at Trailshead.
Just watched the webcam for trailshead and it is being plowed right now.

W

wag13

Jun 22, 2008
Spearfish,SD
I know this sounds crazy but be careful on the steeper slopes that would look prime to slide. I was almost done opening up my driveway in Spearfish Canyon when the whole East side slid.

Might need to strap up with my pack & beacon next time ??BA0930F8-AFE1-41D7-B197-F215D9C347F7.jpeg

A6710D3B-24EA-4DAA-9098-11992DA6F4A7.jpeg

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
Checked with the groomer and Dumont is plowed. I do not know about Custer Peak. Plenty of snow if you go out of Lead, Deadwood, Trailshead, Dumont or Spearfish Canyon. Groomers are out and they are struggling. Using one cat without drag followed by cat with drag and they are still getting stuck. One cat came in with a torn track so I helped replace it. 3-5 feet of snow most places in the North half of the system but has not settled yet.

U
Dec 12, 2007
Custer, SD
Rode from Trailshead today. 1-2' right around Trailshead. Went up 4 and it got a lot deeper at 4A. Even saw a small slide/sluff. Went across 4A to 1 and found really good snow (see pic). Came back to Trailshead and went east on 5 almost to Rec Springs before turning back. 1-2' on 5, but I assume it gets way deeper closer to Lead. I saw the groomers heading out around 2:45 when I was leaving. Sounds like they are going to work on the trails that haven't been done yet(?)
c0f4a5bf2dd08c878f91116a8f4c71f4.jpg
dfaf58ee0379ea46265bfbcc24938e92.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
Checked with the groomer and Dumont is plowed. I do not know about Custer Peak. Plenty of snow if you go out of Lead, Deadwood, Trailshead, Dumont or Spearfish Canyon. Groomers are out and they are struggling. Using one cat without drag followed by cat with drag and they are still getting stuck. One cat came in with a torn track so I helped replace it. 3-5 feet of snow most places in the North half of the system but has not settled yet.
A big thank you to all who work behind the scenes who maintain the best trail system out there!

Having been around equipment all my life, I am simply amazed how problematic those SnoCats are. I would really like to see SD trails system purchase some other brands as well to get a true side by side comparison of the strengths and weaknesses of every brand out there. I am not convinced that we are equipping our operators with the best tools available.

SDPowderRider

Lifetime Membership
Dec 24, 2010
Central SD
Is Rec Springs still charging to unload and park trailers in their lot?

If so, wonder if the State can plow a free parking lot on east side, along highway again like they used to? Seems like the right thing to do if he continues to charge for parking.
Made my decision very very easy last year where to spend gas and food monies at.....hoping he has a change of heart.

Last edited:

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
Trails are finally getting groomed and should be in good shape by the Christmas holidays especially with the cold weather this week. NWS is showing a high on Thursday of 22 below, low of 33 below. Saturday I set out to open gates on the trail on 3 North of Cement Ridge. For the first time in 30 years I could not get to where I needed to go due to too much snow. It took 2hrs to travel 4.5 miles. I had used every piece of equipment I carried to get me out of my numerous stucks including shovel, ropes, ratchet pulley, folding saw, snobunje and snowshoes. Snow on the trail varied from 4-8 feet deep. The snow in the Rec Springs area has settled to 2 feet. Area around Trailshead and Buckhorn has settled to 1.5-2 feet. North towards Spearfish Canyon and Cement Ridge the snow is still 3-4 feet plus.

Trail stuck 1.jpg Trail stuck 2.jpg Trail stuck 3.jpg

S
Dec 6, 2021
Sturgis
Trails are finally getting groomed and should be in good shape by the Christmas holidays especially with the cold weather this week. NWS is showing a high on Thursday of 22 below, low of 33 below. Saturday I set out to open gates on the trail on 3 North of Cement Ridge. For the first time in 30 years I could not get to where I needed to go due to too much snow. It took 2hrs to travel 4.5 miles. I had used every piece of equipment I carried to get me out of my numerous stucks including shovel, ropes, ratchet pulley, folding saw, snobunje and snowshoes. Snow on the trail varied from 4-8 feet deep. The snow in the Rec Springs area has settled to 2 feet. Area around Trailshead and Buckhorn has settled to 1.5-2 feet. North towards Spearfish Canyon and Cement Ridge the snow is still 3-4 feet plus.
If I would have known you were out I would have came out and helped you

Premium Features