• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2021 Driveshaft failure x 2

A
Nov 26, 2007
Elko, NV.
Did any of you with failures experience any ratcheting before failure? The reason I ask is last weekend I was out with a friend whos Khaos was ratcheting like crazy everytime he was in a track compressed uphill pull situation. The drivers became deformed and the track got destroyed, I was thinking that it may be the ratcheting that is also destroying the driveshaft.

A
Nov 26, 2007
Alaska
I had ratcheting a couple times and was paying very close attention to the track tension. It was ratcheting when it would have never with my 2.6 track and 2.86 drivers.

I would bet money that you will not see this driver set up on these sleds next year. You will either see an extrovert set up or or a design that allows a 7 tooth driver.

d8grandpa

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 27, 2010
Alberta
Is this driveshaft not the same as the previous last number of years. The only thing changed is the drivers. Personally I can’t see the gear down as the issue as lots have geared down before or added turbos with no issues. Seems the issue would be poor manufacturing of the components.
I hope its an isolated problem as I am running a 21 Khaos 165. I now am at 500 miles.

chumbilly1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 7, 2007
Been a $hit design since what 08? Not the place to save weight. We left a rmk in pretty deep last weekend. Skidframe sitting right next to it and broken driveshaft strapped on back rack of one with a recall shaft

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

kylant

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2011
CA
my buddy sent me a pic of another failure 2 days ago. ?

Spiderman

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Mn
My local dealer got an email telling the dealer to make sure people who got the 2.75 track to check track tension after each ride until 150 miles. The track is stretching more than the 2.6. Really?! No mention of the crap drive shaft so they have on out for warranty.. So far are all these the kaos?

S
Feb 10, 2009
Gooding Id
Interesting. We have a 21 kahos 155. With the chain case. (Not belt drive) has blown the chain case apart twice in less than 400 miles. First time exploded the bottom bear. Broke half the teeth off the top gear and broke the chain and blew the front of the chain case out and messed up the splines on the drivers. This time less than 100 miles later. Exploded the bottom gear blew out the cover of the chain case but never broke the chain. Kept a close eye on track tension and chain tension on both. The first one it would make a weird popping ratcheting noise when you would apply the break. Second one we have on video. No noise till it blew and scorpioned him over the bars

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Interesting. We have a 21 kahos 155. With the chain case. (Not belt drive) has blown the chain case apart twice in less than 400 miles. First time exploded the bottom bear. Broke half the teeth off the top gear and broke the chain and blew the front of the chain case out and messed up the splines on the drivers. This time less than 100 miles later. Exploded the bottom gear blew out the cover of the chain case but never broke the chain. Kept a close eye on track tension and chain tension on both. The first one it would make a weird popping ratcheting noise when you would apply the break. Second one we have on video. No noise till it blew and scorpioned him over the bars

Don’t use Polaris bottom gears.

They are powdered metal.

Venom / team hyvo gears only.

Especially important if you pound moguls, jump or hit drops.

RBalazs

Snowest Terminator
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 20, 2020
And after riding my buddies 2021 rmk pro the other day, I thought a Poo would be my next sled

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kylant

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2011
CA
Steel pro rmk driveshaft and avid drivers.
this is what I am running (avid center drive). but I am concerned the track is too tight and the rear wheels will cause it to split where they ride.
I am wondering if switching to extrovert drivers is the the true solution.
I just don't like the idea of trimming my new ice age rails and running an anti-stab kit ???‍♂️

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
this is what I am running (avid center drive). but I am concerned the track is too tight and the rear wheels will cause it to split where they ride.
I am wondering if switching to extrovert drivers is the the true solution.
I just don't like the idea of trimming my new ice age rails and running an anti-stab kit ???‍♂️

Run 4 wheels inside the rails in the rear.
(I’ve been doing it since 2012)

TallCan

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 13, 2016
Sierra Nevadas
So I reached out to Polaris and the 3 issues being talked about here: Vibrating Track, Ratcheting and Broken Dive Shafts. They actually called me back the following day, not sure if they were just playing dumb but said they have not heard any complaints or issues on these subjects. If you've got a minute go to the Polaris snowmobile web site and shoot them an email

Spiderman

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Mn
Total BS.....they know. All parts are on backorder and they obviously have people complaining and submitting warranty work. My Khaos vibrates too...stops the track on the stand really quick with the tension they want on it. I was in over the hood powder and decent climbs in soft snow which didn't put a lot torque to the track and fortunately it didn't ratchet yet. One of my upper boggie wheels did come a part though on the trip. C clip must not have been seated tight because the bearing was fine.

Premium Features