• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2019 850 163 to almost Khaos specs, whats needed?

phatboy07

Premium Member
Oct 31, 2009
I currently have a 19 850 163 3 inch that I am looking to possibly change over to Khaos specs if possible. What would I need to get this started? If a were to get 163 ice age rails in the Khaos geometry, A Khaos front track shock arm and shock (or equivalent shock) would that be all I need to get the geometry close to a Khaos?

damx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2011
Just khaos rails, longer shock, and khaos/longer limiter strap. The front arm is the same.

phatboy07

Premium Member
Oct 31, 2009
Arm is the same? that's good news. Less to purchase. So far I cant find any parts microfiche on the Khaos. Anybody know how much longer the shock and limiter strap is?

damx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2011
I looked the parts up on the Polaris web site today. And I think the shock is 1/2" longer, but not 100%.

phatboy07

Premium Member
Oct 31, 2009
buy khaos rail and keep you stock FTS and strap limiter and just bolt the skid in the lower hole .

That is all that a Khaos is over a regular RMK? Different rail, longer shock, longer limiter strap, and bolted in the bottom hole?
Wasn't that how the older Assault RMK were set up?

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
Khaos geometry and khaos feel are not one in the same. On the note of geometry, You need IceAge (or oem) khaos rails, a longer FTS (oem or aftermarket option in khaos length) and the limiter straps.

Doing a little playing right now on them and Its going to take a bit more then just the front shock to replicate the feel. The rear shock transfers weight quite a bit differently on RMK vs khaos so affects how it feels a lot.

Killer Time Racing

Lifetime Membership
Feb 12, 2008
Lower Michigan
Assault RMKS had a 100# rear spring where as a Pro had 130# .. the front was stiffer and bottom holed .
So they are taking advantage of the Pro approach angle and the transfer of an Assault RMK?

What is the Khoas rate ?

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
2020 Khaos 155
FTS rate is 75/150
RTS is 180#

2020 RMK 155
FTS 150#
RTS 210#

Also, note, the Velocity shock is a lot different then a monotube of even regular clicker WE shock. they are a bypass style shock so are incredible soft and plush then the rate ramps in very hard near the end. I have run a number of different shock configurations on Axys RMK's so far before and this out of the box setup rivals some high dollar shock packages. Very plush with impressive bottoming resistance. Standard monotubes bottom have to be set incredible stiff and still bottom easily onthe trail.

Prayn4snow

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Upper Michigan & Alaska
2020 Khaos 155
FTS rate is 75/150
RTS is 180#

2020 RMK 155
FTS 150#
RTS 210#

Also, note, the Velocity shock is a lot different then a monotube of even regular clicker WE shock. they are a bypass style shock so are incredible soft and plush then the rate ramps in very hard near the end. I have run a number of different shock configurations on Axys RMK's so far before and this out of the box setup rivals some high dollar shock packages. Very plush with impressive bottoming resistance. Standard monotubes bottom have to be set incredible stiff and still bottom easily onthe trail.
Wheel House is exactly right with what he has stated above. Your not comparing apples to apples with just adding the Khaos rails, longer limiter strap and 1/2" longer shock. Ive said it before that this is the best factory shock I have ever rode (across all brands). They spent a couple years figuring the right spring rates, shock calibrations and geometry to bring this all together. Nice job Polaris!

Killer Time Racing

Lifetime Membership
Feb 12, 2008
Lower Michigan
I can see exactly why it stands up but weight placement is so critical with that much of a variable rate in the front coil.

So now about the name ..
Can we go back to Assault please .

Give the Fat Body one a name like Torsion Pounder or SKS
Call it XLT "Extra Light Trail "
All those sound light and super progressive . LOL

Last edited:
Premium Features