• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2014-15

gosnow

Premium Member
Nov 20, 2013
Rual western Montana
Thanks for the invite Scott, I am assuming it was you.
1/6/15 -Avy danger looks bad now, but after it sets up a bit I'm ready to see it all. Maybe this next week.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Was a good ride into Williams on Saturday. Snow sucked...but the avy conditions have settled WAY down.
For the record, for those of you on your way into Williams, the last drop off before you run over to the dropoff to Williams, there is a big pit that we dug about 150 or 200 yards before you drop down into Williams.

AT THAT SPOT, the snow as about 7 feet deep.
Most all the snow, except for the top layer was fairly well bonded but slightly more faceted or sugary. The snow wasn't powder underneath.
1" of frozen rain crust on top.
14" down there was a thin layer of snow that didn't bond, but only cause small cracks to propogate horizontally.
3 feet down there was a 3" layer of ice. The snow seemed to bond to it really well. Nothing really wanted to break there. We had to work hard to get that to go.

I'd say the snow conditions AT THAT SPOT were pretty decent. I can see why the West Central Avy center rated it a level 2: human caused are possible, but not likely.
(Remember that Level 3 is "Human caused are likely".

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
The backcountry snow coverage is better than I expected.

Premium Features