• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2013 Pro RMK overheating a lot

Hi, first ride of the season this past Friday and I got an unwelcome reminder that my sled overheats way to easy.

32°F and loose nice snow. Scratchers down (as always on this sled), but after picking my way through some flat light areas, the sled went into limp mode with 220°F on the temp.

Saturday ride; took off side-panels and had scratchers down. Had to monitor temp gauge all the time and start ripping around when it started getting into high 170s. (No side-panels resulted in belt filled with snow and slipping after one powder-turn. Not fun.)

Does anyone know of any research that's been done to fix this problem — I know I'm not the only one but mine has it bad. We have three 2013 RMKs and mine is by far the worst when it comes to overheating.

Is there a suggested remedy from Polaris? My sled is under warranty but the dealer is far away.

Reactions: LoudHandle

BILTIT

Premium Member
Apr 9, 2011
Lloydminster, SK
You sure you don't have air still in the system?

I have found a recipe for running very cool, almost too cool.

PAR head, terra alps bypass tstat and vforce3r reeds=98F in loose snow without scratchers. I was running 115F last year without the reeds. This was my first ride too and I was scared of how cool it was. This is in about 3-4" of super fluffy snow without a bottom in the fields.

L
Jan 29, 2010
You sure you don't have air still in the system?

I have found a recipe for running very cool, almost too cool.

PAR head, terra alps bypass tstat and vforce3r reeds=98F in loose snow without scratchers. I was running 115F last year without the reeds. This was my first ride too and I was scared of how cool it was. This is in about 3-4" of super fluffy snow without a bottom in the fields.

are you saying the reeds dropped your temps 15F?
I understand why the head and thermo do what they do, but why reeds drop temp is confusing me a bit.
that's a huge selling point I have yet to hear people mention.

BILTIT

Premium Member
Apr 9, 2011
Lloydminster, SK
I am not sure it's the reeds but there is another guy with those three pieces and he runs the same temp as me. I am skeptical about it too. I made a lot of changes over summer but nothing I would have thought would drop the temp that much. Reeds, can and taller lug track is all I added that would effect temp if any at all.

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
Everyone I've owned or ridden gets hot quickly if not in at least 6-10 inches of fresh and moving at a good pace. This has got to be the worst part of owning a pro. I always have my temp on the screen and watch it continuously. I shut mine down at 190, would never let it reach the 220 temp. Once you hit the mid 150's I'd be looking to get into some loose stuff, you can't just keep ignoring the temp gauge and hope the cooling fairies come and sprinkle cooling dust on your sled. Add a aftermarket cooler or adjust your riding style.

Last edited:
Reactions: Snodawg

BILTIT

Premium Member
Apr 9, 2011
Lloydminster, SK
So i guess my setup is the answer then, 98 degrees in 3-4" of snow and NO scratchers required.

I could get it to come up to 105-115 if i slowed down alot across the fields, same conditions.

Last edited:
D

Drewd

Feb 2, 2012
Colorado
www.imnotrightinthehead.com
Mine overheated on my first ride, hit 200 deg F and shortly thereafter went into limp mode.

Here is what has helped me, assuming you have no air in system.

1. Ice Storm reversible ice scratchers. These kick up more snow than stock scratchers.

2. IQ Snow Flap. Yes, it is heavier but it seems to work better for me.

3. Not yet installed but I want a 'doo fix thermostat in mine or a Terra Alps but their customer service when I tried to get one last season was non-existent.

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
First thing to rule out is air in the system. The factory delegates this task to the dealers and most dealers do not spend 5 minutes on sled prep, despite all the paperwork that they are required to complete saying that they performed all the required pre-delivery checks. There are numerous threads on the subject every year. You need to either force the dealer to do their job or be prepared to complete it yourself.

RMK935VA

Premium Member
Jan 14, 2008
Cheap effective cooling for Pros, especially those running X3 tracks are Ski Z Scratcher/Deflectors. A friend of mine had those on for his first ride with another friend who did not have them. Both sleds are running 156 X3 tracks. The sled with the Ski Z product ran 20 to 30 degrees cooler in identical conditions. I ordered a set for insurance. I also put Ski Doo reversible scratchers on the skid. They do their thing 6 inches or so further up the skid so I expect them to help cooling too. I have a 162 X3track on my 13 Pro.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Cheap effective cooling for Pros, especially those running X3 tracks are Ski Z Scratcher/Deflectors. A friend of mine had those on for his first ride with another friend who did not have them. Both sleds are running 156 X3 tracks. The sled with the Ski Z product ran 20 to 30 degrees cooler in identical conditions. I ordered a set for insurance. I also put Ski Doo reversible scratchers on the skid. They do their thing 6 inches or so further up the skid so I expect them to help cooling too. I have a 162 X3track on my 13 Pro.

Cool.

Pics?

Premium Features