• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2013 M8 HCR 153 Drive Clutch upgrade

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
Nope. Aside from possible profile differences the 2015 style use a set screw to hold them to the bolt and the whole bolt pivots. That design is gone on the Team primary and it uses a wider weight with a bushing and swings on the bolt.

spoon

Wrenching to ride is half the fun
Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Kootenays, BC
I doubt my MDS weights from my 2015 Proclimb will not work with the Team 2016-2017 primary clutch, right?
I used stock 2014 weights in my Team clutch. Put in bushing kit that pre setscrew style weights used and I got spacer kits from Recreation Supply in Saskatoon that come in different thicknesses to fill in the gap in the sides. Worked great and gives me more tuning options with parts I already have. I think it was 40-50$ for everything. Put a few hundred miles on and no issues.

F
Feb 17, 2020
Old thread but figured I would follow up. Appreciate all the input here. To finish up last season I purchased a used arctic clutch for $180. And, had plans to go ahead and do a TEAM update to it this summer but, 2020.. And, for almost 5000 mi on it I found some nasty pitting on a piston along with some cracks forming on the skirts on both sides.. So a few weeks back I did a full top end with wiseco pro-lites and replaced the head. We finally got some white gold and I took it out for a rip and of course the clutch is making a ton of extra noise and I think there are some cracks forming near the pins... I've seen these clutches form cracks on the sheaves and spider but not near the pins.. So, I'm not taking any chances so it's time to just sack up and buy a new one.

I did some deep research into the CV Tech clutch but, even though I'm seeing great reviews on them and even saw syxxes on youtube install one, I just couldn't do it. I've always liked the TEAM clutches on the popo's I've owned and wanted to find a way to support local business as I know that means alot this year.

Placed another order today with BDX/SSI. They helped me a ton with my Boyseen rage cages and so I am going with the TEAM primary with their pro-mag adjustable weights, silver spring and picked up a puller. Would have went all the way with the 18+ conversion but I really don't have any issue with the secondary. I suppose if its really necessary later on I could sell the Team primary and upgrade again..

I'll check back here again after I get this unit installed and a few hundred miles on it. If anyone has any suggestions for weight placement (2-2-2-2 ?) please let me know! Happy New Year!!

mtbraun

Premium Member
Mar 31, 2016
Old thread but figured I would follow up. Appreciate all the input here. To finish up last season I purchased a used arctic clutch for $180. And, had plans to go ahead and do a TEAM update to it this summer but, 2020.. And, for almost 5000 mi on it I found some nasty pitting on a piston along with some cracks forming on the skirts on both sides.. So a few weeks back I did a full top end with wiseco pro-lites and replaced the head. We finally got some white gold and I took it out for a rip and of course the clutch is making a ton of extra noise and I think there are some cracks forming near the pins... I've seen these clutches form cracks on the sheaves and spider but not near the pins.. So, I'm not taking any chances so it's time to just sack up and buy a new one.

I did some deep research into the CV Tech clutch but, even though I'm seeing great reviews on them and even saw syxxes on youtube install one, I just couldn't do it. I've always liked the TEAM clutches on the popo's I've owned and wanted to find a way to support local business as I know that means alot this year.

Placed another order today with BDX/SSI. They helped me a ton with my Boyseen rage cages and so I am going with the TEAM primary with their pro-mag adjustable weights, silver spring and picked up a puller. Would have went all the way with the 18+ conversion but I really don't have any issue with the secondary. I suppose if its really necessary later on I could sell the Team primary and upgrade again..

I'll check back here again after I get this unit installed and a few hundred miles on it. If anyone has any suggestions for weight placement (2-2-2-2 ?) please let me know! Happy New Year!!
I have the same primary setup, and they recommended 1-1-1-1 for 5000, and 1-1-1-0 for 7500. its been on one trip so far this year and seems to be working well

F
Feb 17, 2020
wow, quite the difference for me, of course im below 5k feet but still.. they had me do 2332.. (75.4g) And I'm having lots of issues right now with it idling and getting the belt deflection dialed in.. ?

F
Feb 17, 2020
So I swapped to 68g, the bikeman calculator for my setup says engagement would be around 3100, a bit low so I setup for more heel weight at 2-1-0-0 and my engagement is where I like it at 4100. The engagement with the 120/280 ssi spring is smooth with this setup.. Was able to get my deflection dialed in nicely and just need to take it for a rip to check max RPM.. might need to add some tip weight for 8100 rpm..

Premium Features