• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2012 etec only runs 7700 rpms

chas57006

Premium Member
Dec 25, 2007
Brookings SD
I was in the big horns and my 2012 etec 146 was running 7900 rpms on clicker 4.
I am now in Dubois and after changing to clicker 5 it will only run at about 7700 rpms.
I switched it to 6 and that actually made it run 100 rpms less, so now back to 5.
It was set up to run in South Dakota on clicker 1.

I have two questions, I am going to Grand Mesa, (for 2 days riding) will it run even less rpms there than Dubois?
How much weight should I drop if I change it for Grand Mesa?

Or, should I just put up with it for two days and get a clutch kit from RB for next year?

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
If something changed, I would be looking for the problem. Did you change anything on the sled?,.....pipe, silencer or ???
Ae you saying it pulled 7900 down lower and now it wont ? If so, you have something worn, broken or not functioning properly. Any check engine lights? Inspected clutches and belt?

chas57006

Premium Member
Dec 25, 2007
Brookings SD
Sled is stock, no changes made.
Belt has 700 miles on it, appears to be in good shape, no threads hanging.

Clutch also has 700 miles on it as it was rebuilt under warranty after last season. Sled has 1900 miles on it.

No check engine lights.

Am thinking about taking it to a dealer out here and put some lighter weights in the clutch or maybe just get by for two more days of riding and have my own dealer look at it.

Thanks for the replies.

M
Mar 20, 2013
Clean clutches. If that doesn't do it the weight needs to be removed.

A sign of the weights is the sled wont hold the RPM's. Gets up there and rolls back down.

snow conditions could apply heavy snow will affect the top rpm.

C

Concrete Mike

Dec 11, 2008
Cranbrook
Re check your belt. mine had 1100 miles and across the top the belt was dished. I think it was geting soft and being sucked into the scondary. Put on new belt and picked up 300rpm

O
Jan 30, 2011
Black Hills
Re check your belt. mine had 1100 miles and across the top the belt was dished. I think it was geting soft and being sucked into the scondary. Put on new belt and picked up 300rpm

I agree sounds like a belt to me, belt should deflect about an inch and a quarter when you push it down with your thumb midway between the clutches, if it deflects more you need to adjust your secondary to tighten it up or replace it but if you replace it you still need to check your tension. If the belt is running too loose you are in effect starting out in second gear which can pull the rpms down.

M

Mach-ster

Jan 5, 2008
You will be riding on average between 9500 to 10500 for elevation, this time of year they can really get dumped on, been there many times, you will love it.

Premium Features