• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2012 800 Etec flat spot

L

Lank

Nov 26, 2007
Wyoming
My 800 Etec has a 'flat spot' in the throttle response. When accelerating smoothly from low rpm to high, the tach will hit about 7000rpm and basically stop even though I continue squeezing the throttle. The throttle moves a significant distance without any response from the engine, then suddenly the engine jumps to life and runs to 8000rpm. Have rode two of these sleds and both have this issue. Anybody have any similar experiences or fixes? Thoughts?

P

PaulWatt

Jan 15, 2008
noticed the same thing. I've got about 400km on it so far, so the breakin isn't totally done yet. Maybe it'll change after that.

S

shredder

Nov 26, 2007
Sounds like you need some clutch tuning. try a clutch kit from dynamoe joe, cudney, toms snowmobile, or one of the other great tuners around. I'm sure any of them could recommend a good kit to get rid of that 'flat' spot.

PISTONPETE

Lifetime Membership
Nov 14, 2009
New Brunswick,northern
Sounds like you need some clutch tuning. try a clutch kit from dynamoe joe, cudney, toms snowmobile, or one of the other great tuners around. I'm sure any of them could recommend a good kit to get rid of that 'flat' spot.
Just put one in but had not had time to play with it yet.. Still doing it....

Dynamo^Joe

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Thunder Bay, ont
www.iBackshift.com
Just put one in but had not had time to play with it yet.. Still doing it....
Hmm..your screen name and your location, I suspect you are the gent with the 11 in St. Joseph?
Usually my kit nearly eliminates that "rolling bog" problem and greatly reduces that "squishy throttle"

Question - if you were to have your sled lifted upon a track stand, with the engine idling, does the track want to turn by itself or, if not, are you able to grab a lug with your index finger and pull on the track to turn (engine idling)
Im curious to your belt deflection part of the cause of this "hanging rpm"

Summitseeker

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2001
British Columbia
I have a 2012 and its way beyond the break in stage and it also does the same thing. In fact, everyone else I know who rides one has the exact same issue. If clutching fixed this problem I would be all over it but it's more of a throttle response hesitation when "blurbing" the throttle which leads me to believe it's a ECM issue.

I read a thread somewhere on this earlier in the season and people were saying it would go away after it passes the breakin period but that did not happen. Its about the only thing I don't like about my 2012 for bring a stocker.

I would love to hear if you guys find a solution to this issue.

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
I have a 2012 and its way beyond the break in stage and it also does the same thing. In fact, everyone else I know who rides one has the exact same issue. If clutching fixed this problem I would be all over it but it's more of a throttle response hesitation when "blurbing" the throttle which leads me to believe it's a ECM issue.

I read a thread somewhere on this earlier in the season and people were saying it would go away after it passes the breakin period but that did not happen. Its about the only thing I don't like about my 2012 for bring a stocker.

I would love to hear if you guys find a solution to this issue.

JFYI...we have not seen the clutching related "rate of RPM" hesitation/bog on the 12's. On the '11's it seemed to occur on every one of them.
I doubt what the '12 guys are seeing is this particular issue. Ours have run flawless from day one with never a bog or hesitation, even when lightly clutched/loaded. I have heard of an issue on a few '12's from several customers....no clue as to a cure.

PISTONPETE

Lifetime Membership
Nov 14, 2009
New Brunswick,northern
Hmm..your screen name and your location, I suspect you are the gent with the 11 in St. Joseph?
Usually my kit nearly eliminates that "rolling bog" problem and greatly reduces that "squishy throttle"

Question - if you were to have your sled lifted upon a track stand, with the engine idling, does the track want to turn by itself or, if not, are you able to grab a lug with your index finger and pull on the track to turn (engine idling)
Im curious to your belt deflection part of the cause of this "hanging rpm"

Hey Joe,kits awesome but?? When i adjust my deflection its always rear in the air, its does not crawl..
I really think there is something else wrong here!! Mant friends with same problem even the gades!?

Premium Features