• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2011 m8 low end bog

B

blownuaway

Oct 14, 2009
kenai alaska
So this year I finally got a 2011 m8. The dealer cut me a deal on a skins ultra q can and installed it. I am loving the sound and weight savings of the can.... What I don't like and want to fix is the occasional low end bog that is driving me nuts. The sled sees almost all of it's riding from 0-1500 feet. I don't want to go mod crazy yet as this sled is more capable than I am at the moment. So has anyone found a fix for the aftermarket can bog or is it back to the boat anchor suitcase?

• 1 Star
Reactions: Kody511

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
or a differant can..i also find a bog with speedwerx...no bog with the jaws and i hear bikemans silencer is working well

B

blownuaway

Oct 14, 2009
kenai alaska
Next time I take it to the mountains I'll take the stock exhaust with. If that fixes it, I'll get a fuel controller. Any advice on which to get for ease of use and flexibility for further mods later? Thanks for all the advice!

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
The power commander is the best for overall tuning but you have to hook it up to a lap top, the bd or dobeck style works best for on the hill. The Power commander you can tune low end the best and the bd only goes down to 3000 rpm and will work, not sure where the dobeck style starts as far as rpm.

A

AKboondocker

Feb 4, 2006
Wasilla, Alaska
Cans lose weight, which affects your power to weight ratio, giving you real world performance in the backcountry. I also meant its performance in regards to it bogging or not when in and out of the throttle. Sorry about that Bill Nye, lol.

Last edited:
B
Feb 12, 2010
I don't really believe in losing weight much anymore. In the back country, the best thing you can do to lose weight is cut holes in your track to clean out your skid. Your rear skid can hold 50 lbs or more of snow depending on how thick the snow is. If you want to lose 15 lbs, go on a diet, don't get rid of that amazing suitcase can.

A

AKboondocker

Feb 4, 2006
Wasilla, Alaska
Regardless of your diet or personal weight, losing 20 to 30 pounds off the nose of the sled makes a HUGE difference in technical riding. When your skid is under 7 feet of pow all day, it isnt going to clear itself out until you load it on the trailer. Ill save the track porting and stick with flotation and a lightweight flickable machine. That suitcase sure looks cool, but I dont see why anyone would want to leave a 25 pound anchor in the right side of thier sled unless they are riding in 6 inches of snow. To each thier own I suppose.

Last edited:
B
Feb 12, 2010
I want to leave it there so I don't lose hp or have to deal with a bog. But I hear ya. If I had the money for a can and fuel controller I'd probably try it out. 15lbs is a lot.

A

AKboondocker

Feb 4, 2006
Wasilla, Alaska
Thats why I recommended the bmp can Beckwith. No bog and no power loss(company even claims dyno proven), just dead weight and a few years off my hearing ability, hahaha. Have a good season guys

B
Feb 12, 2010
Where is it bogging? What rpm? Is it before or after engagement? Or during? I had a bog on my M6.... I just raised the initial rate on my primary spring. Went from 4000 engagement to 4300. Solved the problem. But a 600 doesn't have much torque down there. I'm guessing an 800 should have the power down at 4000 rpm.

Reactions: JROD
J

JROD

Nov 6, 2004
Bozeman, MT
Where is it bogging? What rpm? Is it before or after engagement? Or during? I had a bog on my M6.... I just raised the initial rate on my primary spring. Went from 4000 engagement to 4300. Solved the problem. But a 600 doesn't have much torque down there. I'm guessing an 800 should have the power down at 4000 rpm.

I've wondered if that wouldn't solve the problem. I installed the RKT torsional secondary set up and that seemed to help. It backshifts smoother making the bog less but it's still there.

B

blownuaway

Oct 14, 2009
kenai alaska
It's bogging when I am putting around. It's to the point where the lights an gauges dimm down and the motor almost shuts off. It's kinda like it's like when you flip the choke switch on a carbed sled. It happens around 1500- 2000 rpm if memory serves right.

Premium Features