• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2008 Snow Hawk 800 159"?

347strokin

Sep 1, 2008
Peachland, BC
Hey guys,

Very interested in getting my hands on the long track Snow Hawk. A few questions for you guys.

1) Once a guy gets used to riding one, will they keep up with newer 800 sleds when hill climbing up in the mountains in the powder?

2) Will the 159" be too long for ditch/trail riding?

3) Is $8000 a fair price for this sled? 3rd owner, has scratches, everything works, good compression.

4) What's a typical fuel range with the 12 gal tank?

5) Any common problems/issues with these bad boys?

Thanks

J&L Snowhawk

Lifetime Membership
Jan 3, 2008
Aberdeen, SD
stores.ebay.com
good buy

I would think that is a good buy. 800s are very rare for sale plus that long of a track. that is long for trail riding to have fun anyway but should be amaizing for climbing in the steep and deep. buy it up

T

Thunderhawk

Sep 5, 2009
CT
Just as J&L said, that's a good price for that machine. Obviously it would not be the best trail machine, but I've not ridden something that long to know how bad it might be. However, when you get to the steep and deep in the mountians, the question will be what are your buddies gonna do when they can't get up the hills you do.

C

cjgodden

Nov 26, 2007
Palmer, Alaska
If it does not have a chain drive already, your going to want one, with that much track on the ground the TLS is going to take a beating. With my 800 and a 136" track I can keep up with my friends that have 154" summit 800's, I'm not out climbing them but I can keep up. I have had a 151" under it and it did climb better but I sacrificed some tight turning performance. I think a 144" or 146" track lenght would be ideal.

C

cjgodden

Nov 26, 2007
Palmer, Alaska
Wrong belt, we are talking about the "chain case" side. The Hawks have a belt drive, kinda like the CMX system. The problem is the TLS "torque limiting system" attached to the belt drive. it is a clutch pack type system that slips when it sences too much pressure on the belt. Good idea to save belts but every time it slips it robs power, and it always seems to slip at the most inopportune moment. If you tighen down the TLS so it doesnt slip, then you start blowing up cog belts. the belts are freaking expensive and kinda bulky carring around a spare in your backpack. Because of these problems I came up with a 530 o-ring chain drive conversion, lots of others have followed my lead. Some have stuck with the belt drive, and are happy with it, But i'll tell you the first time you are in the middle of a climb and the TLS starts slipping and gets you stuck, you'll be getting rid of that pile of crap.

347strokin

Sep 1, 2008
Peachland, BC
Wrong belt, we are talking about the "chain case" side. The Hawks have a belt drive, kinda like the CMX system. The problem is the TLS "torque limiting system" attached to the belt drive. it is a clutch pack type system that slips when it sences too much pressure on the belt. Good idea to save belts but every time it slips it robs power, and it always seems to slip at the most inopportune moment. If you tighen down the TLS so it doesnt slip, then you start blowing up cog belts. the belts are freaking expensive and kinda bulky carring around a spare in your backpack. Because of these problems I came up with a 530 o-ring chain drive conversion, lots of others have followed my lead. Some have stuck with the belt drive, and are happy with it, But i'll tell you the first time you are in the middle of a climb and the TLS starts slipping and gets you stuck, you'll be getting rid of that pile of crap.

Gotcha, didn't realize they used a belt there. I'd be doing the conversion if I picked it up just for piece of mind. And a good excuse to be in the man cave!

347strokin

Sep 1, 2008
Peachland, BC
I made up my mind. Unfortunately $8000 is a bit much for a sled that needs to be updated and upgraded to enjoy day in and day out. I already do enough tweaking on my supercharged Apex. Thanks for all the comments guys!

Premium Features