• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2003 rmk 800 won't idle down

S
Feb 8, 2008
Dawson Crack
When i start my sled up it sits at a nice 2100 rpm then once you giver some throttle and ride around then stop it just sits there at 4000 rpm. only every once in a while will it idle back down. But if i hit the kill switch for a second the pull it back up it will be fine back at 2100.

I need help

T

TheHoneyBadger

Nov 30, 2007
Cashmere, Wa
if this problem occurs then goes back to normal it could possibly be that the float in the float bowl is sticking causing more fuel to flow into the carb than neccesary. before you dig into the carb play around with the idle mixture screw.

S
Jan 13, 2009
kelso washington
take idle down to 1700 or so

idle is to high take it down and see what happens mine will stay high some days, fine line on idle ajustment drop it down to 1700. after a run mine will drop down to x then drop again to 1700. go thru this a few times a year depending on elevation and temp

G

Good to Go

Banned
Nov 21, 2007
North Bend, WA
Had a racing Escape couple of years ago. Had nothing to do with the engine.

The throttle adjustment cable was loose and had shortened up causing it to idle like a raped ape. Quick easy check too...prior to tearing into the carbs.

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
Had a racing Escape couple of years ago. Had nothing to do with the engine.

The throttle adjustment cable was loose and had shortened up causing it to idle like a raped ape. Quick easy check too...prior to tearing into the carbs.

have seen this same thing before...

S
Feb 8, 2008
Dawson Crack
i just don't understand how when it's fired up it idles good but if you ride it for a bit then stop it just sits at 4 g's but if you hit the kill switch then pull it back up right before it dies it goes back to a good idle again

T

theultrarider

Nov 26, 2007
Soldotna Alaska
i just don't understand how when it's fired up it idles good but if you ride it for a bit then stop it just sits at 4 g's but if you hit the kill switch then pull it back up right before it dies it goes back to a good idle again

It is idling high because it is running lean. When you hit the kill switch, the engine is still sucking fuel while it is still spinning even though it is not firing. This means it just sucked a bunch of unburned fuel in the motor and guess what, It is no longer lean when you lift the kill switch!!! Just bump the choke for a second and it will also make it drop back to a normal idle....

Dec 6, 2009
SE Minnesota
adjust the idle mixture screw out to richen the a/f ratio. start with 1/8 turn out on both carbs and test. keep going in 1/8 turn incriments until it idles like you want it. i always go 1/8 to 1/4 turn after i think its good because its always safer to run a 2stroke just a little rich

T

theultrarider

Nov 26, 2007
Soldotna Alaska
adjust the idle mixture screw out to richen the a/f ratio. start with 1/8 turn out on both carbs and test. keep going in 1/8 turn incriments until it idles like you want it. i always go 1/8 to 1/4 turn after i think its good because its always safer to run a 2stroke just a little rich

Actually you have that backward unless you are talking the fuel screws? There are BOTH fuel screws and air screws on these edge rmks. The big plastic screws are the fuel screws. Turning them out would make it richer. The air screws, are very small brass screws that you must take off the airbox to find. The sit right where the airbox seals on the carb throat. They are on the same side and postion on the carb as the big fuel screws. turning the air screws out makes the motor run leaner... If you sled is running well and snappy, adjust the air screws in and leave the fuel screws alone!!! The air screws are basically for idle adjustment only. The fuel screw will affect your motor up to 1/8-1/4 throttle.

Dec 6, 2009
SE Minnesota
yes, i was talking about the fuel screws. i had the same prob with mine and mine would actually hang around 6 grand sometimes causing me to think the throttle was sticking open. a little scary when she keeps going straight for that barbed wire fence after you let off the loud flipper. what i did to cure mine was adjust the fuel screws until i got it right. just my.02

D
May 18, 2009
S.W. Colorado
may sound too easy but, check the throttle cable and make sure that it is opperating smoothly in and out. my rmk does the same thing after deep powder riding. as the throttle sticks just a hare from snow build up

P

powderman800

Jan 28, 2008
Kennewick, WA
throttle cable

I put a goldfinger lefty on my 03 RMK 800 and the same thing happened, as said before I would check the cable. After you ride around and stop, if it still idles high, check the throttle lever, if it just flops around without changing engine RPM then the cable is stuck or binding and all you need is a good lube and/or check the cable length for obstructions. If none of that works, have fun with the carbs.

S
Mar 11, 2009
Washington
I had the same issue, idled fine but wouldn't come back down like it should after riding for a while. I could flip the choke to half position and flip it right back off and the idle would drop and stay there. Adjusting the idle air mixture didn't solve the problem. Turned out to be dirty pilot jets. The idle circuit was fine so it idled fine, but it was running lean at the low end so the mixture in the crank case would be lean after running it. Cleaning the pilot jets solved the problem.

I agree with checking the other things mentioned first though before pulling the carbs.

Premium Features