• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

18 Yz450f maps or ecu

jrusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Edmonton
Wandering what guys are running for maps for the 18 and up yz450f ? I tried a couple maps that yamaha had posted for dirt then a leaner map i used to run in my earlier yzs for snow -3s an -4s fuel +3 timing and that worked alright . Anybody else have any? I talked to Jeff at Pr2 about a ecu and he doesnt have anything out yet for the new yz. I might just have to install a O2 sensor/wideband and get some readings up at elevation and see how close a guy can get air/fuel with the yammi ap

Last edited:
K
Dec 9, 2015
Mill City, OR
Wandering what guys are running for maps for the 18 and up yz450f ? I tried a couple maps that yamaha had posted for dirt then a leaner map i used to run in my earlier yzs for snow -3s an -4s fuel +3 timing and that worked alright . Anybody else have any? I talked to Jeff at Pr2 about a ecu and he doesnt have anything out yet for the new yz. I might just have to install a O2 sensor/wideband and get some readings up at elevation and see how close a guy can get air/fuel with the yammi ap

Ran my 2018 yz450f with the stock ecu and -3/+3 last year with pretty good success.

Talking with guys at Penco and thinking about PR2 tunes on a Vortex this season.

jrusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Edmonton
Ran my 2018 yz450f with the stock ecu and -3/+3 last year with pretty good success.

Talking with guys at Penco and thinking about PR2 tunes on a Vortex this season.

Keep us posted. Be nice to get rid of the cold temp choke mode and try some different mapping

K
Dec 9, 2015
Mill City, OR
I didn't make the jump to the PR2 ECU or the O2 sensor...

Ended up running stock and just playing with tunes. The default for snow was still usually -3 fuel / +3 timing, but I did toy with adding in some fuel on the top end as the season warmed up and engine blankets came off (-1 vs. -3 at 60 & 80٪ throttle across all RPM ranges). It seemed to help with temps on long climbs with firm snow.

I plan on doing some more playing with it this year.

Everything I read from everybody running >=2018 is that -3/+3 is about all they run.

Chadx

♫ In the pow again. Just can't wait to get in..
Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2010
Bozeman, MT
Bringing this up again to see if anyone has more time on certain maps or input. I got out for the first ride last weekend on my 2020 YZ450F and ran a couple of the stock and yamaha track maps to get a feel for those. Now I've created a -3 fuel and plus 3 advanced ignition map to load for next time.

On the other end of the spectrum, what about a second map for the trail ride in and out? Thinking of something that runs cooler temps and is also less jerky for forced slow mogul sections. Retarding the ignition, like the yamaha "slippery track" map, could eliminate some whisky throttle jerkiness and maybe reduce temps? What about fuel? Trying to land on a place to balance enough fuel to help cool the engine but still be fuel efficient. Are zeros the answer? Will have to decide on rpm and throttle openings for fuel. Thinking all rpms but medium to low throttle openings would be for cruising. Can have different fuel for higher throttle openings.

Anyone considered settings for trail to dull throttle input and to run cooler temps?

M
Jan 14, 2004
I will be running my 2018 this weekend for the first time so I'm in the same boat. I was thinking of trying -2 +2 across the board as a starting point. Not sure I want to flip maps during the day. Maybe 0 0 to start is the action then go 1 point at a time. Hard to know exactly whats going on with no wideband.

Chadx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2010
Bozeman, MT
The 2020 has the handlebar button to swap between 2 maps that are already loaded into the bike. No need to take out phone and push map. Are the 2018 and 2019 the same? Makes it easy to flip maps throughout the day for ontrail and offtrail. Or were you saying you just wanted to identify a single map that works for everything?

Agreed that some form of an AFR (air fuel ratio) sniffer would be ideal to know what's really going on.

M
Jan 14, 2004
On my 2011 GYTR 450 I run +3 +3 everywhere. When I did the top end the piston wash was perfect. The GYTR head and race cams move a lot of air so it can take the fuel. The 18-20;s have a bit higher cam lift stock, more like the older race cams so I'm thinking I will see what it does at 0 0 and then go in baby steps. The 18-20's also have 12.8 vs 12.5 compression. Get some good fuel and throw some timing at it I figure. Guess I will see. I always control my temps with my rads anyways so I want one good map

wellfed777

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Oregon
TTT

I'm curious what folks are doing with fuel maps on YZ450f

i'd like to play with my 19 map
thanks

GKR

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton
C3 Powersports has a snowbike mapped Vortex ECU for the 2019's

wellfed777

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Oregon
ok i'll look into the Vortex option

i was hoping that folks had kinda figured out some good maps for SB
over the last couple years

Chadx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2010
Bozeman, MT
Ideally, someone would have a sensor/sniffer setup, try different maps while snowbiking at elevation... and have a portable dyno up on the mountain. Ha. But short of that, most tuning with onboard mapping is seat of the pants and educated guess.

All last year I had two maps loaded on my 2020.
For offtrail riding, I had FI at -3 across the board and ignition at +3 across the board which had good snap, didn't use excessive fuel, and ran good temps (though temps are more a result of other setup).

For those tight, slow mogul sections where trees are so dense you have to stay on the trail and slowly hump through the deep whoops on a narrow trail, I didn't want to reduce fuel here and so I didn't minus out fuel and instead kept it at zeros, though one could experiment with adding a little more fuel if you were really running hot in this situation. On fuel, I did set the lowest rpm and lowest throttle setting to -3 with the thought being it would push less fuel during a cold engine start up and warmup idle and not overfuel (as much).
My trail map also retards the ignition (reduces the power) in some areas to reduce whiskey throttle incidents. I left high rpm and high throttle opening ignition settings advanced in case I needed the power up there, so it will behave like my deep snow map at high rpm and high throttle openings. But all low throttle-opening timing is retarded all the way through the rpm band and is also retarded in the first two rpm bands all the way up through 100% throttle opening, meaning, if a mogul kicked me back and throttle wraps wide open, the retarded timing tames the power to make it way more controllable and recoverable. It has saved me a few times on the way out when you are super tired and a bit more prone to getting off balance.

These settings work for me and my riding conditions.

The difference, between the two maps, is obvious and the 2020 YZ has a handlebar mounted, illuminated button to toggle between two loaded maps. If I forget it on one setting, it's obvious by feel when I'm on a different map than I thought. To me, being able to quickly switch back and forth between two maps at the push of the button is the real value of this setup, even more so that tuning a little more power and little less fuel.

20201210_062306.jpg

20201210_062237.jpg

Last edited:
P
Nov 29, 2020
Ideally, someone would have a sensor/sniffer setup, try different maps while snowbiking at elevation... and have a portable dyno up on the mountain. Ha. But short of that, most tuning with onboard mapping is seat of the pants and educated guess.

All last year I had two maps loaded on my 2020.
For offtrail riding, I had FI at -3 across the board and ignition at +3 across the board which had good snap, didn't use excessive fuel, and ran good temps (though temps are more a result of other setup).

For those tight, slow mogul sections where trees are so dense you have to stay on the trail and slowly hump through the deep whoops on a narrow trail, I didn't want to reduce fuel here and so I didn't minus out fuel and instead kept it at zeros, though one could experiment with adding a little more fuel if you were really running hot in this situation. On fuel, I did set the lowest rpm and lowest throttle setting to -3 with the thought being it would push less fuel during a cold engine start up and warmup idle and not overfuel (as much).
My trail map also retards the ignition (reduces the power) in some areas to reduce whiskey throttle incidents. I left high rpm and high throttle opening ignition settings advanced in case I needed the power up there, so it will behave like my deep snow map at high rpm and high throttle openings. But all low throttle-opening timing is retarded all the way through the rpm band and is also retarded in the first two rpm bands all the way up through 100% throttle opening, meaning, if a mogul kicked me back and throttle wraps wide open, the retarded timing tames the power to make it way more controllable and recoverable. It has saved me a few times on the way out when you are super tired and a bit more prone to getting off balance.

These settings work for me and my riding conditions.

The difference, between the two maps, is obvious and the 2020 YZ has a handlebar mounted, illuminated button to toggle between two loaded maps. If I forget it on one setting, it's obvious by feel when I'm on a different map than I thought. To me, being able to quickly switch back and forth between two maps at the push of the button is the real value of this setup, even more so that tuning a little more power and little less fuel.

View attachment 362998

View attachment 362999
C3 powersports does all their tuning on the hill, you can get a purpose built map for there plx vortex boxes. you can choose a standard out of box one or give them your mods and in most cases duplicate. they install an afr and data log during tuning. making adjustments all along the way. they also have a bike dyno they can build a great baseline before heading up the hill.

Chadx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2010
Bozeman, MT
C3 powersports does all their tuning on the hill, you can get a purpose built map for there plx vortex boxes. you can choose a standard out of box one or give them your mods and in most cases duplicate. they install an afr and data log during tuning. making adjustments all along the way. they also have a bike dyno they can build a great baseline before heading up the hill.

Good info, but now we are shifting subjects back to buying something aftermarket. Seems most are trying to identify tuning with the stock, onboard Yamaha tuner. We have it, so why not use it? I would be curious how different the parameters are on the aftermarket units compared to what one can do with stock tuner, but that is probably secret sauce. Ha.

Last edited:
E
Dec 14, 2020
Curious about this topic. Brand new snowbiker and I am more interested in keeping the bike safe and not too lean. I'm in Alaska so temps get pretty cold here, but I have thermobob (c3) and blankets. What is a good safe setting? 2018 yz450f, no handlebar map switch, but have the tuner app.

P

portgrinder

Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton
Buddy of mine spent a day on dyno with his. They don’t give you enough control to make real gains or hurt anything. There was like 2hp max from full good to full bad.

it would probably help on a Moto track where feel and arm pump matter.

Nov 22, 2021
Alaska
Hey everyone,
I just wanted to see if anyone has tested any other maps. I have not found any other helpful threads
I just picked up a 2018 Yamaha YZ450F with 2017 137 mountain horse kit for this winter. I am also in Alaska.

Thanks in advance.

Premium Features