• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

16 XM 800 instrument cluster inoperative

Snowbound307

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 7, 2023
Wyoming
Most of the time the instrument cluster displays no information and the tach/speedo needles are stuck at random locations. Other times the indicators will flash strange symbols, and then the cluster will suddenly light up and cycle through like during startup, working fine for a short time. When the guages are acting up, I have no hand warmers, reverse warning tone, etc. Any ideas?

skidooindy

Premium Member
Nov 20, 2008
MN
Most of the time the instrument cluster displays no information and the tach/speedo needles are stuck at random locations. Other times the indicators will flash strange symbols, and then the cluster will suddenly light up and cycle through like during startup, working fine for a short time. When the guages are acting up, I have no hand warmers, reverse warning tone, etc. Any ideas?
Similar problem on a 13' Summit. Pulled the gauge cluster apart and had an electronics repair guy re-solder the pins for the main plug in the board .Fixed all the problems. Common problem. Had someone else inspect for a broken pin connection and found none. tried myself with a pencil iron, no luck. Finally got the right guy with some interest and skill to touch each one with a little fresh solder touch up and that worked.

Snowbound307

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 7, 2023
Wyoming
Thanks for the reply. I also searched youtube and found a video of a person that determined water had entered the gauge cluster through a crack in the lens. I tore into mine, and sure enough, water was in the cluster and the lens was cracked. I have yet to put it all back together due to supply chain issues, but will post my findings when I get it all together.

Premium Features