• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

154" or 165" Turbo

F
Oct 2, 2011
sask
HI guys. Can a g5 154 turbo 3" go just as many places with a g5 165 3" N/A on deep pow days climbing hills , sidehilling, tree riding? Assuming both riders are stronger intermediate skill level. Ive heard about the quick limiter strap adjustment helping keep the skis down on the 154" plus it's got the turbo power. Riding zone 8-10k ft.

154’s will go where the 165’s will it just becomes apparent difference when the snow is handlebar deep, and steep faces. The 154 turbo likes to stand up you have to be more aggressive to make it work in those conditions. I choose the 165 cause I ride for the deepest snow and I like to pick and choose my linesadventure type of riding. Doing mock chicken through the trees or carving up a face all day doing hopovers and bow ties I have no interest. Perhaps I am starting to show my age

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Norona

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2007
North Vancouver, BC
www.noronalife.com
I have both these sleds
165 Summit X Turbo
154 Summit X Turbo
and also been riding the 154 Summit X Turbo 2.5

There are all super fun! The 165 is what i would have if I had one sled, super fun and it holds an edge better, suspension works better due to longer track and on the deep days, most of which I get all the time it is the machine to have. The said the 154 in both lug heights is amazing and will go every where but you will turn out more poach tracks to do it and it spins out more, some thing this is wash out but it is due to the shorter track. I can see why the expert would be more popular in 154 than 165 as well, I also think you are ringing the neck of the 154 in the deep which i get more of and its fun but you go through gas oil and belts faster for sure. All worth it for the fun factor. I am 145 5'7 so the 154 floats me fine but the 165 is so incredible in the deep snow. You can not go wrong with either and yes I think a 154 turbo will out doo a 165 N/A , the turbos are just so dam awesome! This was Tuesday March 5th and it has been like this for a week!

Factors
your weight - if over 200 pounds you are losing a lot of float. for example the 15 inch track on the freeride loses about 35-40 pounds of float-why guys complain of lynx and freeride trenching more if your not on it fast all the time
How much snow you get and what you like to ride. Deep Deep pow all the time 165 less of that half the time 154
do you like to adventure and get out of the busy places to further places...both will do it but again the bigger hills you push to get back the more you will be out of gas on 154 and the 165 will use less effort and gas to get there.
Ease on machine the 165 handles it all easier so easier on machine, the 154 is super fun but you got here matted so harder on machine...

Last edited:
F
Nov 18, 2011
North west territory
If I were using my sled for just mountain riding I’d go with a 165 they just tractor around better and the 165 turbo will take 95% of guys to their own abilities. I ride the prairies and the mountains so I went with 154 some guys it don’t matter there just so talented they could ride a 137-146 and go crazy places . I don’t think there’s a wrong answer 154-165-175 all amazing I can’t imagine where a 175 turbo would take you

cacsrx1

Premium Member
Feb 7, 2008
Highmore SD
NA=165
Turbo=154

Im 6' 220lbs and have always had 165's both na and turbo. This year I bought a 154T and I find I can go everywhere on a 154T that I went on a 165, its just a lot more fun, especially in party mode.

turbo800

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Northern,UT
Northern Utah here...
We have both 165 and 154 turbos in our group.
If you go 154, I'd suggest the 2.5" paddle...unless you just love to wheelie everywhere, then go 3"
If you decide to stay 165, I don't see a reason to not buy a 3" if your buying floatation and traction.
Both sleds get around great, it seems to be more personal preference anymore.
I think the 146 turbo is a fad and people will be back on 154's before long.

R
May 6, 2018
Northern Utah here...
We have both 165 and 154 turbos in our group.
If you go 154, I'd suggest the 2.5" paddle...unless you just love to wheelie everywhere, then go 3"
If you decide to stay 165, I don't see a reason to not buy a 3" if your buying floatation and traction.
Both sleds get around great, it seems to be more personal preference anymore.
I think the 146 turbo is a fad and people will be back on 154's before long.

It’s not a fad. People want more playful sleds and a challenge. The sleds are so good you can get most places half throttle with 154, 165. Shorter tracks are here to stay and will become more popular as sleds get even better. Hence why they are no longer making 175.

turbo800

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Northern,UT
It’s not a fad. People want more playful sleds and a challenge. The sleds are so good you can get most places half throttle with 154, 165. Shorter tracks are here to stay and will become more popular as sleds get even better. Hence why they are no longer making 175.

Time will tell...
My buddy snow checked a 146 Freeride turbo, dumped it mid season for '24 Summit 154.
He is not the guy that typically ever gets stuck, he was stuck more times than would like to admit on the 146.
I don't know if you watch Muskoka Freerider on YT or not, but his 146 turbo was the first one out of gas of the group. Had to bum fuel from buddies just to get back to the truck.
He appears to have to be in the boost everywhere he goes to carry enough momentum to get around. The others in the group didn't.

R
May 6, 2018
Time will tell...
My buddy snow checked a 146 Freeride turbo, dumped it mid season for '24 Summit 154.
He is not the guy that typically ever gets stuck, he was stuck more times than would like to admit on the 146.
I don't know if you watch Muskoka Freerider on YT or not, but his 146 turbo was the first one out of gas of the group. Had to bum fuel from buddies just to get back to the truck.
He appears to have to be in the boost everywhere he goes to carry enough momentum to get around. The others in the group didn't.

He also mentions how boring it was on the other sleds in that same video lol
Time will tell for sure and the 146 man bot be for everyone. 146s will struggle on those heavy wet deep days but let’s be honest how many headlight deep days do we get down here in the states… not as common as social media would like you to believe.

Premium Features