• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

1 hour 20 minutes to drive 17miles. Only in Cali.

O

Ollie

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 16, 2004
Colorado
My trip to LaLa land.

I had to go to Cali for a week to get recertified on my security systems.
I figured while I was out there I would go see a couple old high school buddies.
We set up a meeting at TGI Fridays. That was great. It was only 17 miles away from where I was staying. We set the time for 6 pm.

Well, I got done with my class at 4, so I went back to the hotel. Figured I would simply wait till around 5, then hit the road. That would give me an hour to get lost and still get there on time.

This is where my lesson in California driving begins.

I was to go north on Hiway 55, then hit hiway 91 south. Piece of cake. It was only 17 miles, how hard could it be.

I jump in the rental car and head out at 5, just as planned.
That is where it went a little nuts.
I got in line to enter the highway. It was a 20 minute wait just to get onto hiway 55.
they have these little stop lights at the entrance to the hiways. They are supposed to meter the traffic so it can flow in at a constant rate. Yea, they don't work. It is pretty much just a bottle neck and an excuse for people to get pizzed off and yell. Trust me, there was plenty of finger waiving, some of it wasn't by me.

Ok, I'm on Hiway 55 north, from here it's easy right?
WRONG.
First off, it's 6 lanes wide. You have mandatory off lanes on both the right and left. the highway seems to create left hand lanes, sort of like a conveyor belt. I found this out when I went from the middle lane one minute and found myself being forced off in the right lane less than a quarter mile later (I still don't know how that happened).

Well, now I am exiting the highway, I don't want to exit the highway, so I just follow the off ramp and get right back in the line to get back on the highway. Now I'm starting to get a little urked by now.
The wait was only about 5 minutes at this onramp. Some guy in little foreign car tried to cut in front of me. I think he got the point that that wasn't going to happen when I stomped on the gas and aimed at his car. He got real polite after that.

Back on the hiway. Now I learned the last time. I got all the way over to the left. I'm all set.
WRONG.

Did you know that Hiway 55 runs right into Hiway 91. As a matter of fact it splits hiway 55 right in the middle. I didn't know this. I found out the hard way.
Yea, I am all the way in the left lane (so I don't get shoved off remember). Well, I now find myself headed towards San Fransico. To bad I wanted to go towards San Diego.

Ok, find an off ramp so I can get turned around.
This sounds easier than it actually is. I went from working hard to NOT get shoved off the hiway, to not being able to find a stinking off ramp. Drive down for a few miles and finally found one.
Oh, did I mention that it is an off ramp ONLY. No on ramp. Who the heck builds an off ramp with no on ramp.

Now I am wandering all over the place trying to get BACK on the stinking hiway again.
Stop at a gas station. Get directions.
Get back on the 91 headed south.
YEA!
Not yea.
I only needed to go a little bit south on 91. I can't get over fast enough to hit my exit.
So I need to find another exit to get turned around.
Now this is much easier this time.
Pretty much off and on.
I finally found the correct exit and the correct place.

It only took me 1 hour 20 minutes to go 17 freekin miles.
Welcome to California.
Even their hiways are messed up.

POLZIN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Farmington NM
Ive been there(LA area) twice! WTF do people see in that place? If not for the beach they would nuke that sesspool!

B

Boondockin800

Nov 26, 2007
PNW
Welcome to Southern CA. My little lady took me there twice (you'd think I'd learn better after the first) and I'm still trying to wrap my mind around the concept that you rarely get to go 55mph or higher on the interstates. Drives that would be 20 minutes here are three times that down there!

Reactions: adrenaline junkey
O

Ollie

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 16, 2004
Colorado
For all their hype about being so enviromentally friendly, I don't think those people have heard or even understand MASS TRANSIT.
I didn't see a single bus anywhere.

B

Bubba700

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 26, 2007
Rexburg ID
Lived in that area for a summer and that place sucks big time, definitely have to pay attention to the times and what roads your using. Made me appreciate the open roads of Idaho!

Reactions: Boondockin800
A

AkHockey10

Feb 9, 2006
Anchorage, Ak
but hey at least you got to eat and got to spend time with old friends correct?:D

Wow, that would be a trip/drive that you would try to forget! well..im sure your not going too, lol.

how was your drive back?

Reactions: Boondockin800
T
Welcome to the real world of driving...

Other than coming to Cali, your First mistake was driving during "rush hours"...
Your second mistake was not driving aggressively, yeah the good drivers are fast and aggressive... otherwise you just get crapped on... no honor or polite drives here...

You get use to the traffic and learn routes to avoid the major jams and if that does not work you learn the true meaning of "patience"...

Now you know how lucky you have it in your neck of the woods...

:rolleyes:

mattymac

Lifetime Membership
Apr 12, 2004
Sutter Ca.
HAHA!!! Socal sucks!!!!

People, traffic, diffrent world down there thats for sure!!!

New york city is just as crazy IMO!

M

maddog21

Mar 19, 2008
Charter Oak, Iowa
its LA, nobody leave. ha

i know how it feel. i was in chicago one time, stuck in 6 lanes traffics for about 2 hours for idk prody 20 miles or less.

S

sledin

Nov 27, 2007
san jose CA
My trip to LaLa land.

I had to go to Cali for a week to get recertified on my security systems.
I figured while I was out there I would go see a couple old high school buddies.
We set up a meeting at TGI Fridays. That was great. It was only 17 miles away from where I was staying. We set the time for 6 pm.

Well, I got done with my class at 4, so I went back to the hotel. Figured I would simply wait till around 5, then hit the road. That would give me an hour to get lost and still get there on time.

This is where my lesson in California driving begins.

I was to go north on Hiway 55, then hit hiway 91 south. Piece of cake. It was only 17 miles, how hard could it be.

I jump in the rental car and head out at 5, just as planned.
That is where it went a little nuts.
I got in line to enter the highway. It was a 20 minute wait just to get onto hiway 55.
they have these little stop lights at the entrance to the hiways. They are supposed to meter the traffic so it can flow in at a constant rate. Yea, they don't work. It is pretty much just a bottle neck and an excuse for people to get pizzed off and yell. Trust me, there was plenty of finger waiving, some of it wasn't by me.

Ok, I'm on Hiway 55 north, from here it's easy right?
WRONG.
First off, it's 6 lanes wide. You have mandatory off lanes on both the right and left. the highway seems to create left hand lanes, sort of like a conveyor belt. I found this out when I went from the middle lane one minute and found myself being forced off in the right lane less than a quarter mile later (I still don't know how that happened).

Well, now I am exiting the highway, I don't want to exit the highway, so I just follow the off ramp and get right back in the line to get back on the highway. Now I'm starting to get a little urked by now.
The wait was only about 5 minutes at this onramp. Some guy in little foreign car tried to cut in front of me. I think he got the point that that wasn't going to happen when I stomped on the gas and aimed at his car. He got real polite after that.

Back on the hiway. Now I learned the last time. I got all the way over to the left. I'm all set.
WRONG.

Did you know that Hiway 55 runs right into Hiway 91. As a matter of fact it splits hiway 55 right in the middle. I didn't know this. I found out the hard way.
Yea, I am all the way in the left lane (so I don't get shoved off remember). Well, I now find myself headed towards San Fransico. To bad I wanted to go towards San Diego.

Ok, find an off ramp so I can get turned around.
This sounds easier than it actually is. I went from working hard to NOT get shoved off the hiway, to not being able to find a stinking off ramp. Drive down for a few miles and finally found one.
Oh, did I mention that it is an off ramp ONLY. No on ramp. Who the heck builds an off ramp with no on ramp.

Now I am wandering all over the place trying to get BACK on the stinking hiway again.
Stop at a gas station. Get directions.
Get back on the 91 headed south.
YEA!
Not yea.
I only needed to go a little bit south on 91. I can't get over fast enough to hit my exit.
So I need to find another exit to get turned around.
Now this is much easier this time.
Pretty much off and on.
I finally found the correct exit and the correct place.

It only took me 1 hour 20 minutes to go 17 freekin miles.
Welcome to California.
Even their hiways are messed up.

Smokin the wacky weed and driving in Cali is no good OLLIE!

D

Dano702

Dec 15, 2007
Sin City
So i read the first few lines and i had to stop . I spend alot of time on I-15 south bound from Vegas .

And here are a few tid bits i have to share.

People from CA think the left lane is the slow lane.

People from CA think cruise control is ,to NEVER to be used on a FREEWAY!!!!!!!!

People from CA think that you should drive in the middle lane , on a 3 lane concrete freeway if you want to go 10 miles an hour below the speed limit.

People from CA think a Toyota is a cool car .

People from CA think if you speed up and slow down the whole time you drive 300 miles , you are better off .

People from CA think people who come to our country by jumping the CA border ,should have better rights than a person who was a fourth generation imigrant .

I go 70 " The speed limit " in the far right lane and pass all of those retards at 80,000 lbs .

I wish we could deal with the PROBLEM ,that is MEXICO !!!!!!!!!!~

California is a perfect example of Liberal views gone wild .

What a STEAMING PILE OF SHIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET that place is .

The thing that gets me is how alll of of those Toyota driving fags ,have an American flag on the back window.

I dont need a sticker , i am driving 7000 lbs of that flag . I am not trying to fit in ,while i sell the country down the river .

I hate that pile of Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit state more than you will ever know .:mad:

Last edited:
O

Ollie

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 16, 2004
Colorado
Smokin the wacky weed and driving in Cali is no good OLLIE!

oh please.
If I had been smoking wacky weed it would have taken me 4 hours and I wouldn't have minded one little bitty bit, and I would have known where every single fast food joint along that 17 miles was.:p:D

C

ccoleman77

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Oct 27, 2008
Casper WY
You just gotta sit back and relax. Enjoy the babes in bikinikis:D driving convertibles next to you! Didn't the beach boys say they can't all be Cali girls!

M

MPS

I lived in San Diego for 2 years and lived in San Jose for a year and a half. I would never live in Cali again. The traffic is ridiculous! However, I do miss jumping over to San Fransisco to catch a football or baseball game...or heading over to Santa Cruz to get my a$$ kicked my 4 local surfers because I cut em off on my body board. haha....
....the women there! OMG!!!! I miss that!

I am not a people person and don't like crowds....LE was fun there...lots to do and loved to stir up the gangs! Douches!

Glad you made it out alive Ollie!! haha

Premium Features