• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

09 Summit 800 146" clutching

M

MoSnow

Has anyone tried different setups on the 09 146" summit 800 as far as clutching goes? I usually ride 3000'-8000' climbing and boondocking in all snow types. This thing sure seems to vary rpm a lot especially on long or multiple climbs. Lots of belt heat. Managed to make my first belt last 350 miles but with the heat coming off the clutches the way it was, that belt life surprized me. So I've heard of DJ's kit, Winter brew's kit, and Rev Man's secondary shim kit. I'm sure ther are more. What's been working for everyone? Also what gearing are you running on your 146"?

Any help would be appreciated.

can't say good or bad on dj's kit but i had winterbrew's kit and it worked very very well. keep in mind when buying that brew rides the same elevation your at as well as the steep and deep. my .02

get rid of the TRA primary and put on either a Polaris P-85 or Comet 4 tower clutch and you will have more bite without the fluctuation in RPM's, and cooler running belt temps.

Evan

Buy a shockwave adjustable helix and a set of quick clickers. You can make changes in less than 30 seconds and find a set up that works for you and current conditions.

Hey Joe have you put your kits in many 146" XP's. I just never seem to hear about the 146" getting set up. Also what do you think about gearing on the 146"? I'm geared stock right now and can't get much more than 70 mph top speed. I don't care about the speed much but I thought I would get more than that. Will your kit affect top speed? My biggest concern is holding RPM where it should in all types of riding and if I could achieve this I would be a very happy man (oh and longer belt life would be nice).

Thanks

I think alot of the issues are with the motor being in limp mode, not the clutches. If you have not had your computer reflashed, if you overheat it even once it will be in limp mode until you take it to the dealer.

Once I got the reflash mine has ran like a top. 8200rpm at will any time.

Only gripe is that it revs way too high at low speed and load, idling down the trail etc.. Also could use a touch more backshift for engine braking. Doesnt seem to have quite the midrange snap as my 06 159, but I think the lower hp and smaller track have alot to play there.

I think alot of the issues are with the motor being in limp mode, not the clutches. If you have not had your computer reflashed, if you overheat it even once it will be in limp mode until you take it to the dealer.

Once I got the reflash mine has ran like a top. 8200rpm at will any time.

Only gripe is that it revs way too high at low speed and load, idling down the trail etc.. Also could use a touch more backshift for engine braking. Doesnt seem to have quite the midrange snap as my 06 159, but I think the lower hp and smaller track have alot to play there.

I thought your dealer fixed the clutching??:confused:

What do you mean by reflash? Is there a recall on the ECM for the 09's or something or is it just if the sled goes into limp mode that it needs a reflash? What does limp mode do to the sled? I had a couple times where my revs would get as low as 7500 or so on a climb that woould start off at 8100. Could this be a limp mode characteristic or just clutching?

This is the reflash: http://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=150928

A reflash is a reprogram of the computer. With the stock one, if you overheat or detonate it will go into limp mode. By the way mine ran, I'm guessing it takes out timing and richens up. Once you are in this mode, your sled is locked into it until you take it to a dealer. When it happens it will beep at you 4 times and run like there is poutine in the exhaust.

With the new program, if this ever happens, it will only derate until you shut the sled off. when you fire it up again you're good to go.

I've got the reflash and the T-stat mod. No troubles since.

Last edited:
I had a couple times where my revs would get as low as 7500 or so on a climb that woould start off at 8100. Could this be a limp mode characteristic or just clutching?

The clutching isnt that bad, no way. If you are down at 7500, you arent making any power.

When mine ran like junk for a day, it would rev real nice off the line and then bog down and hold around 7800 or so.

HaHa poutine in the exhaust. Ya that would be bad. Anyways ya that's what mine will do. I mash the bars and at times it will actually bounce off the rev limiter and then after a bit (especially on a long pull in warm temps), the revs start to fade. I think if I remember right it beeps a few times on start-up. Can't remember how many times or if it always does it. I thought it was the DESS key being a little loose or something but maybe not. What T-stat mod did you do? Remove completely or run a different one? Thanks for all the input guys.

It will beep a couple times when you start it. thats fine. When you f*ck something up, it will beep 4 times at you while riding it. Once you hear that, youre in limp mode.

Engine tech T-stat mod. Runs the old school t-stat inside so you avoid the overheating all together.

Great info. Thanks again. Well I had the sled out at Hasler yesterday and it actually ran pretty good all day as far as rpm's went. It was a little cooler than the last ride I was on so maybe that was the difference. I did have another issue though. It happened three times after a climb where my clutch stayed engaged after coming down from a climb and letting off the gas. Is this the sticky bushing problem in the primary that I seem to recall hearing about?

Hey Joe have you put your kits in many 146" XP's. I just never seem to hear about the 146" getting set up. Also what do you think about gearing on the 146"? I'm geared stock right now and can't get much more than 70 mph top speed. I don't care about the speed much but I thought I would get more than that. Will your kit affect top speed? My biggest concern is holding RPM where it should in all types of riding and if I could achieve this I would be a very happy man (oh and longer belt life would be nice).
Thanks

Buddy, have a fair amount of kits in 146's, probably more in lower elevations than high elevations though as it just seems the 146 is popular down at non-mountain conditions up to 3000 feet.

Usually over rev or under rev will cause low mph's.
Your sled is geared to do 82mph at 1:1 and 92 mph at full shift overdrive.

When you are full throttle at 70 mph what is your tach saying?
My kit (when the flyweight is correct for your personal application) usually allows the engine to run back at rated rpms in various conditions or at least the engine may dip low in rpms however under full throttle the rpms recover back to rated.
If not then you just give me a shout and I go over a bunch of questions with you and check to see if there is anything wrong with the sled itself then can go through clutch calibration - with my product and service there is a remedy through questions and correspondence.

Hey Joe. That sounds great. I met a guy in the mountains with your kit on a 154" and he was very happy with it. I am definately interested but I will probably be busy for the next couple weeks or so. I will try to give you a shout sometime soon. Thanks

Premium Features

Back