• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

09 m8 twisted-stopped then wouldn't start

av8er

Lifetime Membership
out riding yesterday sled ran great stopped to get some water for about 5 minutes, started it up waited for attitude box to cycle, then died, would not start, pulled pipe checked plugs they were good, had fuel pressure, had electrical,
turned hot start switch on it fired but then died, pulled sled out 1/2 mile then I hammer fisted the kill switch pulled twice fired right up ran great on the way out

what do u think, kill switch, water in the gas, moisture in the switch, bad switch, inertia switch inside the handle bar, was going to pull it apart tomorrow night, thank u

On mine, if it was hot, you flip the switch and pull until it sputters, then shut off switch and pull three times and it would usually start. If not hold throttle down and pull.

When you flip the switch it dumps fuel and floods basically.

I tried to start it before I flipped the switch

pulled 20 to 30 times acted like it had no spark, would not fire

pulled 20 to 30 times acted like it had no spark, would not fire

you could have pulled 1000 times, the fact that it fired with the switch flipped means it needed fuel and you either let it cool, flip switch or pull forever.
When they get heat soaked the computer goes into a lean limp mode to shut it down. So you would have to pull enough to cycle the coolant long enough for it to cool down.

U have wires rubbing possibly fro excesive heat. Most likely 2 wires grounding out. Cheers, good luck

Starting

When I start a turbo with any starting issues first I will do full or half throttle and smell for fuel if no way its starting then its possible I have dry cylinders. Then and only then I use switch and very max pulls is three.

I had one 09 that seamed to be very sensitive to wet plugs on the ecu and one time that happened but it would back fire and sputter.

Throttle cable is it loose? the safety switch can do that 2.

you could have pulled 1000 times, the fact that it fired with the switch flipped means it needed fuel and you either let it cool, flip switch or pull forever.
When they get heat soaked the computer goes into a lean limp mode to shut it down. So you would have to pull enough to cycle the coolant long enough for it to cool down.

Yep

I agree it was either heat soak or kill switch is going bad

I'm going to ohm out the switch 2nite. thanks to all that posted, I want to get it addressed so I don't have future issues

I'm going to ohm out the switch 2nite. thanks to all that posted, I want to get it addressed so I don't have future issues

It was heat soak, not the switch, the fact you flipped the heat switch and it sputtered proves it. exactly what it should do.

my 07 m8 seemed to be sensitive to starting. Mostly at high elevations.... Cat messed up the ecu and there is no fuel for starting above around 9,500ft or so.... So I would use the Cold start switch to get her to fire....

my 09 never had a problem... Lucky I guess....

my 10-11 are a little sensitive as well. If it tries to start and then dies on these two years I do Not touch anything... i dont flip the cold start switch or touch the throttle.... I pull it 5 to 6 times and it will start to pop and then fire....

First ride out on my 2010 I learned the hard way.... It fired and died so I tried to start it like I have done with all of my old M's with the cold start and such... To no avail..... I pulled that thing forever.. And tried all my tricks.. Pulled my plugs and all.... Hooked it on a rope and they started pulling me to the truck... After 5 minutes of snow hitting the motor from the sled in front of me she fired right up..... Yes I was pissed!!!

But I learned that it was heat soaked and flooded... So it had to cool down and she fired after the gas ran out of the cylinders...

After I knew how easy the newer sleds flood when they are hot I have not had an issue at all..

If I start it and it dies.... I just pull it 5 or 6 times until she pops and then it will start... Crazy how the old techniques do not work on the newer sleds....

Its all in the programming Cat has in the ECU and when we turbo our sleds it compounds the little isuues into "NO Start big issues"....

May want to try these tips.... I has worked for many of us!!!!! Its all in the technique baby!!!!!!

Mine sometimes would start and idle real low, sometimes die, but when low idle if I hit the kill switch and restart it it comes up quicker than just waiting it out. Almost like it needed a little more prime to the pump before fire'ing.

I was at about 6000

as yes you are right it was heat soaked but I let it sit there for a good 45 minutes, replacing plugs, checking fuel pressure and injectors, electrical, etc. not wanting to start before I went to pull it out

it was probably a coincidence that it started after i pounded on the kill switch

it could of been the snow and cold air rushing over the engine from being pulled a 1/2 mile

Between the hammerd fists to the kill switch and the F Bombs you dropped Im sure you scared it into starting again! Man things like this can be frustrating some times.......

Believe me, I have had the same problem.... if it does this again just pull the rope until she pops and then it will fire....Dont give it throttle, dont use the cold start switch or any of that.... Just pull it....

Hope this helps......Good luck.....Let us know your results....

Mine sometimes would start and idle real low, sometimes die, but when low idle if I hit the kill switch and restart it it comes up quicker than just waiting it out. Almost like it needed a little more prime to the pump before fire'ing.

Yep mine will do the same thing sometimes. Scared the hell outta me the first few times

Premium Features

Back