• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

09 800 Airbox install ???????

GKR

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton
Got my sled back from the recall. Don't trust the dealer much so I gave it a good look over. Sure enough I see the air box is not installed right, just sitting in there but not actually on the air horns of the throttle bodies. So after I cursed out the dealer I gave it a try. Do you think I could get them on ???? no f-ing way. What's the secret?? Can get one on but not both, no room to reach in, not sure how the heck you do it.

R

Ron

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Dec 4, 2006
Boise
WD 40 the carbs and boots, then get the mag side started...finally pry up a little on the pto side carb and work it on. That works for mine.

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
I pry up on the carbs to get it started. Remember, it has to be far enough forward to slide down past the bracket with the strap.

E

EricW

Nov 26, 2007
NE Washington
The airbox is 2 piece. I think I took it apart and replaced it in 2 pieces. It is connected (top to bottom / boots) with a plastic push dart. used a gasket scraper to shear off the dart then pulled it out in 2 pieces. Going back, I put on the lower and clamped it to the throttle bodies then aligned the upper, set the lock tabs and used a small pry bar to push in a new plastic dart that I got at Napa. Should be a snap. EW

This is where the dart was

100_6754.jpg

I slid the gasket scraper down like this (when it was in the sled) to shear off the head, then a bent pick to push out the rest.

100_6755.jpg

Release the locking tabs

100_6756.jpg

Then she comes apart like this. Lots more room in 2 pieces.

100_6758.jpg

Last edited:

2007dragonman

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
South dakota
Hello

Yes they are a pain i have worked on a few that other dealers worked on and didnt have the air box in all the way. Here is my tip, Make sure clamps are loose enough.Spray some loosening oil on your finger and wipe on the inside of the rubber then slip one side in at a time. Hope it helps!!!

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
yep 09's arnt 2 peice like the 08's..eric..leave the dart out next time.it wont move without it..as for the 09..I loosen the throttle body clamps on the engine side...tip the throttle bodies forward and slip the box in..if the boots dont pop right on I use a dull tipped 90* booger picker to gently hook and pull the boots around the throttle body...

Premium Features