• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

08 700 Owners

B
Feb 19, 2008
Summit co.CO
Im looking at getting a o8 700 this year.
I have always had skidoo. I want to know what are the typical issues with this sled and what to look out for .
What is the difference between the dragon and basic RMK.
Were there any updates? What are they?

Im looking for the 155" track. I rade at 9000' and up, Mostly RabbitEars.

Thanks for your input.

B

Bubba700

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 26, 2007
Rexburg ID
I have always had skidoo. I want to know what are the typical issues with this sled and what to look out for . Only Real one is Snow Ingestion around the head light area. Just need to seal that up.
What is the difference between the dragon and basic RMK.Shocks and hood color. If I had it to do over go with the RMK. Those shocks are less hassle.
Were there any updates? What are they?Haven't heard of any.

Thanks for your input.

Only advice if you get it is get ready for a perma grin.

M
Nov 26, 2007
Fairbanks
I havent had any issues with mine, with 1500 mountain only miles. The dragon comes with Walker Evans shocks, I chose to by a regular RMK, and install fox floats. Belt life is good, I got 750 miles out of my first belt, and so far have the same on my second belt. Just add the 2 cool vents on the side, and watch to make sure your plastic chaincase cover doesnt leak. First thing to do is Vents, clutching, and gearing in my opinion.

O

Ollie

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 16, 2004
Colorado
I want to know what are the typical issues with this sled and what to look out for .

What is the difference between the dragon and basic RMK.
Paint and shocks. Literally, that's it. I run the 08 700 and have absolutely zero complaints about the standard shocks

Were there any updates? What are they?
Hand warmers and oil tank sensor were the 2 recalls.
The hand warmers would short out to the bars and make the electronic read outs (speed, tach and such) to constantly reset. easy fix.
The oil tank sensor was replaced because it could come loose and leak when the sled was upside down.

I ride mostly snowies, very similar elevation and riding conditions. Love the sled, it is a blast to run. I have over 2k miles on mine and have had the following issues with it.

The front bumper is a joke. It's all plastic, replace it when you can with a good after market one.
Seal up the gap around the head light with clear sylicon, it allows snow dust to get into the air box because the seal can leak.
Venting, I put the following vents in mine.
2cool airvents dash vent, Holz footwell and shock tower vents. I ran those for the last 2 years and am adding the 2 cool airvent side panel vents this year.
When running WOT for long periods of time such as spring time deep snow riding the underhood heat gets pretty bad. Blew the 080 belt apart and melted thru the pull rope last spring, figure the side vents will cure this problem.

Thanks for your input.

As a whole, I love the sled. It runs great and is a blast to ride. I would buy this sled again in a heart beat.
Takes a little getting used to coming from a doo. The ski-doo's ride pretty flat where the 08 700 will shift from side to side with total ease. I don't even bother doing the side to side thing with this sled. Simple neutral stance with a slight weight shift and counter steer will do everything from carving to sidehilling.

P

pumpnlead

Jan 14, 2008
Nebraska Panhandle
Great sled, bulletproof motor. I've got 1300 on mine and it is running like a champ and have had zero problems. I hit 1200 on my original belt with no venting and ride almost 100% of the time in the Snowies. What have you owned for skidoo's? You will notice, if you just got off a rev, in more set up conditions the stock track will spin out much more on the polaris, although it is a pretty decent track in the pow. This summer, I switched it over to a camo extreme, but can't give you any information on how much it improved in certain conditions...it is supposed to be a killer track. I am still running the original spark plugs. Gear this sled down! I went from 20/41 to 19/42 and that may be the biggest bang for the buck mod I've done to the sled. You may also want to look into installing better boards (or some other aftermarket boards) as Polaris engineers can't seem to figure out that small holes do not evacuate snow and create an ice patch. Overall, I love my sled and do not have a single regret for not going to an 800. As Ollie said, these are the best sleds on the market for sidehilling and carving. Hope this helps.

B

BadAftertaste

Jan 2, 2008
Colorado
www.jcbritish.com
I'm reaching here, but the only negatives in my opinion are...

-Needs BetterBoards or similar boards right out of the box.
-Dragons hava a 5.25" riser, RMKs only have a 3.75" riser, so If you're 6ft or so, a little more height is nice.
-Stock can weighs a ton. SLPs are light and quiet.
-Pipes/cans really do nothing in th hp department (goes to show the great state of tune from the factory) Not that this is a negative I guess.
-Stock shocks are a joke on both RMKs and Dragons, so don't waste the $$ on a Dragon. I like a coilover, so went w/ SLP's Walker needles.
-Headlight sealing as stated above
-Put on some 09 air filters (they are smooth on the surface and do not build up w/ snow like the 08s)
-Rear bumper can be a PITA if you trench out. It's a little tight between the bumber and flap.

R

rockin rmk

Oct 27, 2002
Great Falls MT
I'm reaching here, but the only negatives in my opinion are...

-Needs BetterBoards or similar boards right out of the box.
-Dragons hava a 5.25" riser, RMKs only have a 3.75" riser, so If you're 6ft or so, a little more height is nice.
-Stock can weighs a ton. SLPs are light and quiet.
-Pipes/cans really do nothing in th hp department (goes to show the great state of tune from the factory) Not that this is a negative I guess.
-Stock shocks are a joke on both RMKs and Dragons, so don't waste the $$ on a Dragon. I like a coilover, so went w/ SLP's Walker needles.
-Headlight sealing as stated above
-Put on some 09 air filters (they are smooth on the surface and do not build up w/ snow like the 08s)
-Rear bumper can be a PITA if you trench out. It's a little tight between the bumber and flap.

Only the dragon 800 has the 5.25" riser the 700 dragon has the 3.75" riser. The dragon 700 does not come with scratchers either like the 800 which i think they should have put on.

Reactions: BadAftertaste

Rick!

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
X2 on what everyone else has mentioned. I've had 4 700's since '07 and I really like the sled. The 09 gearing (19/41) works pretty well in my opinion. I can't go back to stock bars after riding with the Pro Tapers for the last two years. The 08 rails are stronger than the 09's so you won't need rail stiffeners. I like the cheap black shocks with spring over the Walkers. Use the 115 belt and it should last you the whole season - the gearing really helps it live longer. Lastly, the 09 update kit with the bumper and fenders and nosepan makes the sled look better and gives you a real (mostly) front bumper. Scratchers are a must for icy/spring conditions. The only downside on an 08 is kinda low trail mileage - I'll be running a PC V on my 09 this year to improve a bit on the factory tune.
Oh, carry a set of spare lower a-arms as you will eventually bend one. I have several 06-08 spares avaialable. ;-)

B

Bkinz

May 14, 2009
Lewiston,ID
Vents Vents Vents! I learned the hard way, just watch your chain case cover. Then go out and tear it up and then wait for all the skidoos. haha;)

X

XC700116

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Oct 2, 2007
Milliken, CO
Love mine and love it more now :D but I'm not the average joe that buys a 700.

That said everyone pretty much covered the bases. Headlight, hand warmers, Vents, Vents and more Vents, And Absolutely Positively get a better bumper and Better Boards for it. I recommend the Skins Bumper for easy install 08 fitment, price, and durability.

MORSNO

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Eagle River, Alaska
I have always had skidoo. I want to know what are the typical issues with this sled and what to look out for.

You guys all missed the most obvious answer to his questions. You listed the typical issues but never told him what to look out for...Ski Doo's halfway up the hill swapping belts! Just kidding

You'll love the 700 Beetlekill. Everyone's suggestions listed make a great sled even greater.

B
Feb 19, 2008
Summit co.CO
Thanks you all for the input.
Doesnt sound like too many complaints. Im not brand loyal just looking for a reliable sled to rack up some miles on.

Its gonna be fun riding a Polaris after 10 years of Skidoos.:D

T
Oct 10, 2001
Spokane WA
I think my 700 is the funnest sled that I've owned. I've had 800's but got tired of the problems they all seemed to have. I have no problem pulling a rope and riding all day and not worring. :D

Snowman 2001

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Othello, WA
I agree with the the above posts, and would add to check clutch alignment. 08's were not all set correct from factory. Also, the front pto motor mount can break the bolt.

sleddin pete

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Summit County Colorado
My 08 D-7 has treated me well.Almost 2000 miles on it and No Problems:D
Best bang for the $$
Silicone around the head light/almost free;)
Better Boards:):):)
Regear-19/41 last year- got the 42 tooth bottom gear for this season
Holz knee vents/Carls shock vents
Vortech Trunk Rack
2 cool dash vent( no SLP style pre filter/plugs with snow in anything other than pure super cold pow) SLP sells one for this season so....

Buy It and enjoy,
Super dependable.
Pete

C

CATKILLER

Dec 6, 2007
ANCHORAGE,AK
i love my 09 700 rmk ive never had a single problem with it but this year im going to give the 8 a try so im letting the wife take over the 700 unless the 8s still mess up then ill be an indian giver and take it back.
any ways buy the 700 you will love it

Premium Features