• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

08 700 mods?

B

Bkinz

May 14, 2009
Lewiston,ID
What are some cheaper mods to do on a 08 dragon 700? I was wondering what some of the guys on here have been doing for a little extra power for these things. Anything welcome. Thanks

440dart

Jan 5, 2008
montana
not really much you can do. i had an slp pipe NOT worth the money i put on slp twin HUGE power gain but exspensive, best bang for the buck was a track swap to a exstreme the polaris track is a pos. and clutching mine always seem to run better 200rpms over what peak power was at just my exsperience

MORSNO

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Eagle River, Alaska
- Additional SLP filtered intake vents or make your own
- SLP Air Horn
- SLP Pipe and Can

- Back in '08, Monster decals were rumoured to add 10 hp.....:beer;:beer;:beer;

undergroundrmk

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Craig, Colorado
One of the guys that rides with us has a 08 with the 163 the shop here told him to just put on the can. Pipe does not make that big of a difference. After he put it on there was a noticable diff. Track would be a good upgrade also or better yet a turbo LOL depends on how much you want to spend. Have fun good luck they are good machines. Jim

B

Bkinz

May 14, 2009
Lewiston,ID
-
- Back in '08, Monster decals were rumoured to add 10 hp.....:beer;:beer;:beer;

Ya, I heard that same rumor to.:beer;

One of the guys that rides with us has a 08 with the 163 the shop here told him to just put on the can. Pipe does not make that big of a difference. After he put it on there was a noticable diff. Track would be a good upgrade also or better yet a turbo LOL depends on how much you want to spend. Have fun good luck they are good machines. Jim

Ya, I wasn't going to put the pipe on. Just seemed like to much money for nothing really gained. The can will go on, but what brand? I want something that is louder than stock, so everyone can here me coming.:D

Kraven

Lifetime Membership
Apr 11, 2009
MIDWEST
What are some cheaper mods to do on a 08 dragon 700? I was wondering what some of the guys on here have been doing for a little extra power for these things. Anything welcome. Thanks

I have a 2007 D-7, 3700 trouble free miles, my bud has the identical sled, 2500 trouble-free miles

BEST BANG FOR THE BUCK MODS

PC III from Jim @ DYNOTECH, $365.00 w/MAPPING INCLUDED (www.dynotechresearch.com) (585) 993-2777 I'm @ 5-10% LEANER on top, RICHER in the mid-range, that dreaded 5000 r.p.m. flat spot is GONE. The 2008 models were supposedly 5% RICHER than the 2007's so you may be able to go leaner, but that's your call. After the install of the PC III, it's the first time my plugs had any color on 'em other than black.

SLP push arm (part # 23-63) , installs on the MAG side, (2) holes to drill, 20 minute installation time

ALMOST FREE MODS
I checked the engine belt/alignment and center to center, (c/c was fine) offset alignment (engine crooked) mine and my bud's were WAY off, removed the engine and slotted the MAG side engine bracket an unbelieveable 1/4" to 3/8" to get it straight. And yes the tools I used are good and straight, I actually triple checked them plus used Slp and a GENUINE GOLD PLATED POLARIS tools, same end result. Other guys on H.C.S. reported similar problems.

Check your belt to primary sheave side clearance with a new belt, set it at .010" to .015" (mine was .070" from the factory)

Lightly sand (w/180 grit) your clutches perpendicular to the way the belt rides and wipe down with lacquer thinner.

Wash/scrub your new belt w/soap and water and let dry, sounds weird but it removes the mold release compound that would otherwise get smeared all over your brand new clutches.

Run your chain a little looser, get it to where it touches the back of the chain case by pushing on it.

Oil pump setting, mine was 37:1 ratio from the factory, I adjusted the 10mm nuts down by the oil pump (Yeah a P.I.T.A. ) 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 turns and it's @ 57:1 for the last 1200 miles. Picture of oil pump posted below, small horizontal mark stamped on arm (3:00 positon) should line up with short horizontal mark on the red dot protruding out from the case AS A STARTING POINT.

DEBATEABLE

I installed the SLP big horn air kit + (4) flo-rites, didn't notice any gain.

WASTE OF $$$$$$ AND YOUR TIME
I did the V-force reeds, maybe slightly more responsive on it's best day, NOT worth the $$$$$$$ and installation time.

PIPES AND DYNO TESTS
DYNOTECH JIM tested (xc8 on H.C.S.) 2008 DRAGON 700 on New Year's day, tried the SLP pipe, minimal gain ONCE THE FUEL CONTROLLER WAS OPTIMIZED FOR EACH PIPE SET-UP, they re-installed the stock pipe and the aftermarket pipe was up for sale.

Hope this helps

Last edited:
B

Bkinz

May 14, 2009
Lewiston,ID
So what is the PC III? what does it do? I think the guy who had mine before me must of aligned the clutches or something. because I can pull my dad on the hills and my uncle on his 800 rev even in a drag race, and he has a 151 compared to my 163. Either that or Polaris just rocks, i think both.

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
PIPES AND DYNO TESTS
DYNOTECH JIM tested (xc8 on H.C.S.) 2008 DRAGON 700 on New Year's day, tried the SLP pipe, minimal gain ONCE THE FUEL CONTROLLER WAS OPTIMIZED FOR EACH PIPE SET-UP, they re-installed the stock pipe and the aftermarket pipe was up for sale.

Well thats not good to hear. The wife got a 08' 700 this summer and that was one of the first things she bought.. a SLP pipe. Everyone at the time thought it had some good pick up.

Eventually would like to get it ported too. Figured it would need the pipe eventually to go with the porting. I didnt really want her going to twins.

J

Jkinzer

Nov 27, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Run your chain a little looser, get it to where it touches the back of the chain case by pushing on it.

that is a good way to break chains, or strip gears leaving yourself high and dry in the mountains. proper chain tension is generally speaking about finger tight, backed off half a turn from that point. have seen multilple sleds get towed back and have been on a few rescue missions myself from guys running their chains too loose. the rest of your reccomendations sound good though:beer;

Kraven

Lifetime Membership
Apr 11, 2009
MIDWEST
So what is the PC III? what does it do? I think the guy who had mine before me must of aligned the clutches or something. because I can pull my dad on the hills and my uncle on his 800 rev even in a drag race, and he has a 151 compared to my 163. Either that or Polaris just rocks, i think both.

PC III , it's made by DYNOTUNE, it's a fuel controller, plugs into your stock wire harness and attaches w/velcro strips onto top of your clutch cover or side of the air box, takes 20 minutes to install. it's approx 3" x 4" in size 1" or so thick.:eek:

Installing it itself, does ZERO, but now you can adjust the fuel by hooking up your computer to it, add fuel, or subtract fuel. :cool:

Jim @ DYNOTECH has the correct programs with these to where you just plug 'em in and you're done. You can alter it from there should you change your mind later.:rolleyes:

As mentioned earlier, best mod I've done to my sled.:face-icon-small-hap

As far as offset alignment goes, it takes a minute to check, wouldn't hurt to check it.

J

Jkinzer

Nov 27, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
brad,
i'll get ya hooked up with all the vents you need, as well as the can. we can do some custom clutching this winter for ya and make sure you can embarass dad even more:)

B

Bkinz

May 14, 2009
Lewiston,ID
brad,
i'll get ya hooked up with all the vents you need, as well as the can. we can do some custom clutching this winter for ya and make sure you can embarass dad even more:)

Ok, sounds good. I was wondering when you were going to pipe in.:rolleyes:

Kraven

Lifetime Membership
Apr 11, 2009
MIDWEST
that is a good way to break chains, or strip gears leaving yourself high and dry in the mountains. proper chain tension is generally speaking about finger tight, backed off half a turn from that point. have seen multilple sleds get towed back and have been on a few rescue missions myself from guys running their chains too loose. the rest of your reccomendations sound good though:beer;

On the bold, true story February 2002.

Took my brand new flatlander 2002 EDGE-X 800 (w/proper chain tension BTW) and was out late @ night South of West Yellowstone halfway to Island Park if memory serves me correctly, broke the bolt holding the bottom gear on, that took out the tensioner and I was free wheeling there. Towed it w/my bud's sled 7-8 miles to some gas station where this gal from Yellowstone Taxi Service picked up my buds and took them to our truck and trailer.

So even w/everything set "perfect" you still end up walkin' sometimes.

From where I'm setting the tension I don't think it's that much looser that where you're at, I'll bet approx 1/2 turn (perhaps slightly more) on the adjuster difference???? So what's a half turn or so. lol

BTW, what's your cell # so I know who to call next time we're in the neighborhood and have a breakdown late @ night.??? lol

Last edited:

Kraven

Lifetime Membership
Apr 11, 2009
MIDWEST
I have a 2007 D-7, 3700 trouble free miles, my bud has the identical sled, 2500 trouble-free miles

BEST BANG FOR THE BUCK MODS

PC III from Jim @ DYNOTECH, $365.00 w/MAPPING INCLUDED (www.dynotechresearch.com) (585) 993-2777 I'm @ 5-10% LEANER on top, RICHER in the mid-range, that dreaded 5000 r.p.m. flat spot is GONE. The 2008 models were supposedly 5% RICHER than the 2007's so you may be able to go leaner, but that's your call. After the install of the PC III, it's the first time my plugs had any color on 'em other than black.

SLP push arm (part # 23-63) , installs on the MAG side, (2) holes to drill, 20 minute installation time

ALMOST FREE MODS
I checked the engine belt/alignment and center to center, (c/c was fine) offset alignment (engine crooked) mine and my bud's were WAY off, removed the engine and slotted the MAG side engine bracket an unbelieveable 1/4" to 3/8" to get it straight. And yes the tools I used are good and straight, I actually triple checked them plus used Slp and a GENUINE GOLD PLATED POLARIS tools, same end result. Other guys on H.C.S. reported similar problems.

Check your belt to primary sheave side clearance with a new belt, set it at .010" to .015" (mine was .070" from the factory)

Lightly sand (w/180 grit) your clutches perpendicular to the way the belt rides and wipe down with lacquer thinner.

Wash/scrub your new belt w/soap and water and let dry, sounds weird but it removes the mold release compound that would otherwise get smeared all over your brand new clutches.

Oil pump setting, mine was 37:1 ratio from the factory, I adjusted the 10mm nuts down by the oil pump (Yeah a P.I.T.A. ) 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 turns and it's @ 57:1 for the last 1200 miles. Picture of oil pump posted below, small horizontal mark stamped on arm (3:00 positon) should line up with short horizontal mark on the red dot protruding out from the case AS A STARTING POINT.

DEBATEABLE

I installed the SLP big horn air kit + (4) flo-rites, didn't notice any gain.

WASTE OF $$$$$$ AND YOUR TIME
I did the V-force reeds, maybe slightly more responsive on it's best day, NOT worth the $$$$$$$ and installation time.

PIPES AND DYNO TESTS

Hope this helps

Here's a couple more ideas for ya:

1) Plug the exhaust purge hoses coming off the exhaust valves, all they do is hold heat in the motor and cause you to lose performance by delaying the opening of the exhaust valves, so now it will be like the exhaust valve set-ups on the older 2001-2005 models.

2) Locate the 1/4" rubber coolant line coming off the p.t.o. head and going into the throttle bodies to heat 'em up. Install a simple 1/4" shutoff (from the hardware store) on this line.The threads in the head are 1/4" pipe thread. The Ski-Doo's come from the factory w/this shut-off and recommend turning
it on only in "snowy conditions"

P

pumpnlead

Jan 14, 2008
Nebraska Panhandle
The Slp Air horn is cheap ($45) and will gain you a few horse and it will be more responsive. Gearing down helps A LOT and isn't overly expensive either. Don't buy a pipe, they really don't help much. I'm running an HPS can and love it, but I can't say that it actually gained any power.

Premium Features