• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

'06 800 rev running horrible.

W
Dec 29, 2008
Wyoming
After 4200 miles on the old 800 I had it rebuilt. Well took it out the other day to break it in trail riding and going easy on it. Add about 6 ounces of oil to the fuel like the ski-doo shop said...Well it ran pretty good then about 40 miles into the adventure it was acting like it was missing..Pulled the plugs they look just fine,not fouling or anything.....Need your guy's help...What gives on it?:confused:

Z
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula MT
knock sensor

i had a similar problem on my 06 and it ended up being 2 things. the shop that rebuilt it did not properly torque the head, leaving two bolst loose and the final torque 5 lbs shy was causing a vibration seting off the knock sensor, second, the knock sensor itself had a lil corosion where it hit the head and was not properly grounding. good luck

High Voltage

Lifetime Membership
Jan 30, 2003
Helena, MT
If it would have started after you turned on the handwarmers,it could be the accessory relay. The tac goes crazy also.

W
Dec 29, 2008
Wyoming
I went out this morning and checked my sled the hand warmers were on. So I'll try that....It' seemed after it warmed up it started to act up after 10 miles or so.....Stop and let it cool off and then take off it acted normal then went downhill from there.....I'm sadly disappointed it ran better with the old pistons in..

W
Dec 29, 2008
Wyoming
Update

Well the shop has had by machine for two days now....And they can't find anything wrong except I need new Hyfax's and they are turning my oil screw up....They've checked for shorts and ground and the Knock Sensor and the Throttle Positioning Sensor.. They told me to run it and seems how I have another one just like mine try taking the DPM and switching them when I get up in altitude.. Or what really scares me is the ECM may have a flaw in it..

T

Tackbtch

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 12, 2004
Trout Creek MT
Well the shop has had by machine for two days now....And they can't find anything wrong except I need new Hyfax's and they are turning my oil screw up....They've checked for shorts and ground and the Knock Sensor and the Throttle Positioning Sensor.. They told me to run it and seems how I have another one just like mine try taking the DPM and switching them when I get up in altitude.. Or what really scares me is the ECM may have a flaw in it..
Our 06 would act up when down the road a bit...several miles. Turned out to be the ECM, It was getting wet from snow melting on the headlight and running into the ECM ...was turned onto this by a fellow snowestr here but just a bit too late. Grease the plug in well and ran duct tape over the plug in , it works better. Dino

W
Dec 29, 2008
Wyoming
Going to take it out in the morning heard there's good snow...Thanks for your help I appreciate it greatly....The shop greased the hell out of the plug...I'm heading outside right now to put duct tape over it...Thanks for the tip, Hopefully it works..

W
Dec 29, 2008
Wyoming
Well took the sled out.....Played in some outstanding powder. One of the best rides I've had. Well It ran good and then it started acting up again.. I changed the plugs and it didn't help it either.It seemed to do it when I would pin it wide open and then released the throttle and fanned it to get the RPM's up again.It would just spit and sputter.. I was trying to climb a hill and pinned wide open couldn't get over 6000 even backing out of it and pinning it again..nothing. Then all of a sudden it just wrapped up to 8000 and almost left me standing on the hill...:confused:

S

SPOOLED

Dec 4, 2007
northern bc
make sure that the carb balance tubes are hooked up properly as well as the one going to the outer air box, very critical, mine had a split in the hose and caused alot of headaches

S
Oct 15, 2008
If you have DPM I would check all the hoses and make sure that they are not frozen and that they are all pluged in I had the same problem on my 05 800 after we rebuilt it we forgot to plug in the DPM hose that goes into the air box

H
Dec 21, 2001
Meridian, Idaho
If I were a betting man I would guess you are getting water in your ECM connector. All of the same symptoms as seen by many folks. Here is a service bulletin about it as well. Take the connector off and blow it out with compressed air and then put a good helping of dielectric grease into the connector to make it water resistant and then give it a whirl. My bet is you will be fixed.

07warranty ECU and Exhaust.jpg

L

lookup

Nov 26, 2007
sheridan wy
the relay on an 06 is right above the secondary go down to the parts store and match it up $7 ish i have never had the ecm get wet on mine so can't say any on that keep the front on the snow not in it:eek:

i should add that there is alot of good info on this websit and alot of helpful people makes it easy to fix probs

Last edited:
W
Dec 29, 2008
Wyoming
Well went to the skidoo shop and I'm going to rob the DPM and the ECM w/ the tether off of my wife's sled and take them with me tomorrow when I go sledding...Also the Owner and the lead mechanic of the skidoo shop are going out with me. So they can see what it's doing, when,what, and how and all that good jazz...They didn't recommend the duct tape over the ECM though..When it was in the shop they put dialectic grease in the plug and said it was all good. But the pro's will be going and helping me fix it.

Premium Features