• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

03 Escape- dead speedo

R
Nov 27, 2007
Newport, WA
And no, its not the flimsy little key in the end of the drive shaft. Cable isn't broken either. How common is a failure either in the speedo itself or in the drive unit under the secondary?

M
Nov 26, 2007
Puyallup, Wa.
I can read and I see no mention of you checking the driveshaft bearing, I was just trying to help.

I have had the speedo quit working on two previous 02 RMKs and both times the driveshaft bearings had failed.

I will not bother you in the future.

R
Nov 27, 2007
Newport, WA
I can read and I see no mention of you checking the driveshaft bearing, I was just trying to help.

I have had the speedo quit working on two previous 02 RMKs and both times the driveshaft bearings had failed.

I will not bother you in the future.
No hard feelings on this end, I was just trying to joke with you a little bit. Sorry it came off wrong.

S
Mar 11, 2009
Washington
How common is a failure either in the speedo itself or in the drive unit under the secondary?

The drive unit is just a simple gear drive mechanism. I believe the only way it would fail would be to bind up and cause the key to break. If the key is still intact, I'm pretty sure that eliminates the drive mechanism as a possible cause.

Since you said it isn't the key, and the cable isn't broken, I assume you've already disconnected the cable at the speedo end and taken the drive unit off and turned the key by hand to make sure the cable was spinning at the speedo end? Once you do that you've eliminated everything but the speedo itself.

R
Nov 27, 2007
Newport, WA
What I did was unscrew the cable from the speedo and tried to pull the inner cable out of the housing. Tried it at the other end too, and the cable wouldn't pull out of the housing so that tells me the cable isn't broken. I wasn't sure if the drive unit might have plastic gears or something in it that would fail. So, sounds like the speedo... can it be repaired or so I need to hit up the classifieds?

T

theultrarider

Nov 26, 2007
Soldotna Alaska
I'm betting that it is the cable broke somewhere in the middle. Take it off from the speedo end lift your sled and run it and see if it is turning???? Most likely pinched or melted from a pipe. Like was said, it should pull out of the casing.

Reactions: Blu Du
R
Nov 27, 2007
Newport, WA
I'm betting that it is the cable broke somewhere in the middle. Take it off from the speedo end lift your sled and run it and see if it is turning???? Most likely pinched or melted from a pipe. Like was said, it should pull out of the casing.
Not pinched or melted by the pipe. The cable has a small crimp on each end that prevents it from being pulled all the way through from one end to the other.

Premium Features