• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Why so many turbo sleds for sale?

C
Sep 8, 2014
Crested Butte
Looking through the sale ads in Colorado and Utah i was surprised how many low mile turbos are for sale.
Lots of 2018isg rmk with about 2000 miles.

Are they fixing to blow the motor?
Owners just want to upgrade?
I wonder why?
The price of a new top end isn't so bad if you just replace jugs and pistons before it goes.

mtncat1

Lifetime Membership
Oct 19, 2008
south jordan ut.
there are a lot of turbos for sell because guys that ride turbos usually want the latest and greatest sled . so they up grade often , plus these new turbos work so well that it attracts a lot of buyers especially mountain riders who need that hp boost

C
Jan 14, 2020
Looking through the sale ads in Colorado and Utah i was surprised how many low mile turbos are for sale.
Lots of 2018isg rmk with about 2000 miles.

Are they fixing to blow the motor?
Owners just want to upgrade?
I wonder why?
The price of a new top end isn't so bad if you just replace jugs and pistons before it goes.
the 800's are immediately less desirable with the 850's out.
the 800's have a bad rap sheet anyways
turbos take off warranty, shorten lifespan
DEPENDING on installer/user Belts eat quicker, more things break
people get tired of messing with hose clamp this, ziptie that, duct tape this part to that part every other ride.
^obviously a worse case scenario but I've been there done that with jet skis. stock 'n rock baby.

mtncat1

Lifetime Membership
Oct 19, 2008
south jordan ut.
the 800's are immediately less desirable with the 850's out.
the 800's have a bad rap sheet anyways
turbos take off warranty, shorten lifespan
DEPENDING on installer/user Belts eat quicker, more things break
people get tired of messing with hose clamp this, ziptie that, duct tape this part to that part every other ride.
^obviously a worse case scenario but I've been there done that with jet skis. stock 'n rock
have had a couple of turbo 800s they have ran great with stock reliability . i changed 1 belt on my axys and never opened a panel as far as running or tuning .

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
2000 on a stock Polaris engine is kinda borderline for life left. There are exceptions, and the newer stuff is better, but still....add a turbo to that and it is a ticker.

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
2000 on a stock Polaris engine is kinda borderline for life left. There are exceptions, and the newer stuff is better, but still....add a turbo to that and it is a ticker.
A Polaris motor is a ticker out of the crate. This year they don't even make it out of the crate without being recalled and replaced.

mtncat1

Lifetime Membership
Oct 19, 2008
south jordan ut.
And we can cruise the forums and see how many have blown up. You know that turbos decrease lifespan.
i can cruise the forms and find lots of failures of every kind and every brand but since i started riding the polaris 800 in 2011 i aor anyone in my group have not had a blown engine ,and that includes 6 turbos . you can speculate all you want but i don't think you have any real world experience with these sleds .

Dazzler

Lifetime Membership
Oct 24, 2009
Cochrane Ab
i can cruise the forms and find lots of failures of every kind and every brand but since i started riding the polaris 800 in 2011 i aor anyone in my group have not had a blown engine ,and that includes 6 turbos . you can speculate all you want but i don't think you have any real world experience with these sleds .
I’m with you, I’ve put a turbo on just about every Polaris sled I’ve owned since my 2011, 2013, 2015, 2018, and my 850 2020. I didn’t put one on my 2019 850 as some sleds that year had an issue with bottom end PTO bearings so just left it stock. I’ve not lost one motor since the 09 dragon, and when I upgrade I sell my old sleds to relatives so I see them on occasion and know they are still running strong. I did mention to my cousin that bought the 2015 to maybe look it over this fall as it has run 12 lbs boost Since the day it come out of the crate and has a pile of miles on it. There are four other turboed Polaris sleds in our group that have never had engine issues either. As far as runability, the 2011 took a little tweaking first couple trips, never touched any of the others 800’s, just pull the rope and go. The 2020 850 took a couple trips to get it tuned up. It was honestly the biggest challenge to get running right Out of all of them.

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
how soon they forget

It's 2021 and no one is saying that 10 years ago polaris didn't have their issues. But they didn't fvcking catch on fire in the last 4, or piss gas when parked downhill as a design feature. And 10 years ago polaris would have just sent out faulty motors instead of delaying them because of a QC check that apparently exists now (yay!)

That said, it can never be underestimated the 'burandt plus turbo' effect on the buying population. You now have a bunch of guys who 2 years ago had what they thought was the new hotness, now there's a factory boosted matryx......and that's why so many are for sale.

Last edited:
Premium Features