• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

whos still riding the mountain max!!

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
P

pedak07

Nov 28, 2007
I still have my 2000. i do believe the only thing left stock is the tub and bulk head, built my tunnel and front suspension, walker air, a expert x 159 16 wide on the rear and 944 UB under the diamond s hood, bored carbs, to much other stuff to list, will get some pics up soon, will kill my buddies M1000, this thing flat out rips, oh yeah it also has a 50 shot to help move me around

i will never get rid of this sled, but will be picking up a new nytro in the near future with a little boost, that should be fun

M
Nov 26, 2007
M.M. 700, I did all my motor mods at once, big bore, boost bottle, Head mill, porting, and pipes, so its hard to say how much of a difference just the big bore made. But all these mods together..........SWEEEET! The kit is very dependable, Hartman inc has been great on getting me set up right the first time. I rode this whole season and never had to do anything except add gas and oil. All the motor work pipes etc, around $3000.00 new. There are some sweet modded mm on the swapmeet for around the same price, If i did it all again, i might buy a used one thats already done and still have a stocker for the wife. On the other hand its nice to have everything fresh and new. I should also mention that mine was a 600 and i had to buy 700 jugs, and then have them bored, so the jugs were about a 600.00 expense. Anyway im starting to ramble on.

C.B.

Thanks CB.

We should start to post pics.
Maybe this will turn into the orignal "MM Best and Worst Mods" thread:)

M
Nov 26, 2007
I watched Mountain Mod Mania 5 last night. There was an 01 MM they guy said he had 25000 miles on it. He never said what he had in it for a motor, but it looked like it ripped.

P
Nov 26, 2007
Still riding mine

2000 mm 700
156 camo- currently torn in half
extro drivers - currently sawzalled the drive shaft out
piped
airbox mod
lightweight hood
etc

Lost a rail end cap and speared the track, bent the driveshaft, tec

Not a yammie problem, extros seem to pick the track up and slap the rail caps, Anybody else have this problem?

T
Apr 7, 2008
Salmon Arm BC Canada
wow im pumped to see all the guys still riding them! the one thing i love about mine is that distinctive sound of the yamaha triple nothing sounds like it might i add there the nicest sounding sled out there!

J

JHG

Jan 29, 2008
Elizabeth, CO/Bozeman, MT
I still have my 01 MMax 700, I rode it for years and never had any problems, never been towed out. It's still completly stock. I bought an M8 this past season so the MMax is now a spare/girlfriends sled. Its a little heavy for her, I think most of her problems are because she's a new rider. I've thought about selling it and getting an M6 for her to ride but I just can't seem to part with it. Many good times on that sled.

M
Jan 30, 2008
ride a 2001 MM 700 with 7500 km. have been doing some wrenching on it, but i bought it used, and seems like the last owner abused it quite a bit. Have replaced ski shocks (new Viper shocks) and front shock in skid. Replaced driveaxle/bearing and bushings in skid. Welded front shock mount. Replaced recoil starter rope, it snapped... But cant wait to get some more snow so i can start it up again :)

S
Dec 27, 2007
Calgary, Alberta
I still have 4. Well 3 plus a MTN SRX. The wives 1997 700 full mod. My oldest sons 1999 twin 600 full mod. My youngest sons 2000 600 doing the full mod to right now.My 1998 Mountain SRX full mod.

I should also mention that mine was a 600 and i had to buy 700 jugs
For all intent purposes the jugs are the same. You can achieve the same bore from either cylinder.

C
Still riding mine.

I have an '03 MM 700 and I love it! It is the most relieable, gas saving sled there is. I've got triple SLP pipes, a boss seat, 2 inch risers, custom windshield, drilled out air box, V force 3 reeds. You can't beat it. I've got 2200 miles on it and it's still super strong. I love my Max. Yeah, it's heavy but you just have to learn to throw her around. Probably put new pistons and rings in it after this season. A bunch of my buddies ride '02's and '01's still. You can't hardly find a Max for sale because of there reliability. Peopel don't want to get rid of 'em.

Last edited:

Mountainblue

Premium Member
Dec 29, 2007
Alberta
Still riding mine. Love the way it handles in the steep and deep. You have to love the sound of a tripple with pipes.
ported and polished
Power inc end dumps
boost bottle
2 inch 159 track polished tunnel
light weight hood
too many mods:D

2008 Yamaha Nitro MTX
1988 Yamaha 136 track PSI pipe

K
I'm running a 1999 and a 2000 MM700. Both are completely stock except for a set of Powder Pro skis on the 2000. Easily the nicest, most reliable sleds I've ever owned. I refuse to screw around with mods because they both have plenty of Jam for the type of riding the wife and I do and from most mods I've seen you're just looking for problems. I bought a 2007 Phazer this year thinking I would sell the 1999 but I can't bring myself to part with it.

Tanner034.jpg
[/IMG]

M
ya they are great machines i had a 2001 mm700 big bore kit reeds triple pipes rolled chain case after market clutches ekholm tunnel simmions skis i loved it. we still have guy that rides with us that has a modded one and thought about selling it but said why it does everything the new sleds do.

T
Feb 24, 2008
Libby, MT
I have 3 mountianmaxs,2 are bigbores and my wifes 600 has a 156 track simmons skis bender triple pipes and v-force reeds. The 600 will outrun alot of older 800s I have seen. The other 2 are unreal. One is a 780 unionbay jobber with triple reichard pipes and 156 drop and roll northernlite case , fabcraft kickup tunnel and boss seat. All front and rear susp. is cromoly lightweight by northern also. Plus one expensive paintjob that adds no horsepower. This sled rips. My other bigone is a 800 bender triple pipes,156 big porting ,high comp.175psi. 118 trick nessacary,plus 35 shot of boondocker nos. These sleds and my freinds 4 modded mmaxs still rip compared to todays new iron unless your talking turbos which I will own someday. I will keep these sleds even if a turbo is in the future.

MtnMaxMod

Premium Member
Oct 31, 2008
N. Idaho
i love this thread :D
i'm riding a '01 MM700 also, mods are in my sig.
i'll probably post some pics when i get home for you guys :D
where can you find a UBR 944 now days? i can't seem to find them anymore..and i checked FTX motorsports but yeah..no luck. Also, do you have to run 50/50 race/premium in them? or even straight race gas?

M
Nov 26, 2007
This thread almost brings tears to my eyes. If Yamaha would have made this engine around a 8 to 900, lightened that sled up a touch, it would still be the best mountain sled on the snow, for all around riding. They are fun. I should build another one, out of a UB 944 base...

Premium Features