• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

When to rebuild your top end?

sleddude

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima WA
I have 2000 miles on my 900 and would like to know if I should put a new top end in over the summer or will it make another 800 miles next season?

retiredpop

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Calgary
I can't really say about the 900 engine but I put 7500 miles on my big block 600 before I did the top end. Everything was still within spec. Cylinders were good. In fact I could still see the crosshatch on them. Replaced pistons, rings, crank seals at that point anyway. I would think you should be good at only 2000 miles.

sleddude

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima WA
I've heard of a lot of guy's having the top end done between 2500 and 3000 mile is why I thought I'd ask. That seems pretty soon if you put on 800 miles or so a season. A few guy's I ride with said they have dropped a piston skirt at 2300 miles and will never go past 2000 without replacing them???

My 900 runs strong and don't really want to spend any more money on it right now. But I also don't want to loose a piston skirt and have a 900 that needs a new engine, cases and all.

Last edited:

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
IMO... for peace of mind... I'd replace the pistons.... if one lets go on the 900's you will usually damage more than just the cylinder...

2000 miles on the 2006 900's is a good mark for a refresh... at 4000 I'd re-nic/hone the cyls for pistons.

On a 2005... I'd replace the pistons with the new style in the 06... the 2005 design is not even made any more... The SPI pistons are not a viable option either as they are a copy of the weak 2005 pistons. Wiesco pistons are forged and have more concerns for the everyday rider than cast.

Go with stock Polaris (Elko-Austria) pistons when you rebuild it.

I have seen many untouched 06 900's go 4000 miles without issues... It's not a competion to see who can get the most hours out of your motor but getting good compression and reliable power from it.

Do a leakdown test and compression test on the engine, ...pull the Y-pipe and check for wear patterns on the pistons and cylinders...

5000 miles of hard trail riding, IMO, would equal about 1000 miles of HARD deep snow use... One persons riding area, snow, agressiveness, intake, dirt etc will not match anothers.... no will the wear-n-tear on the engine and its internal components.

At this mileage... check your crank runout, pull the primary and have the balanced and checked (I like Indy Specialties work for how thorough they are)... check for cracking on your throttle body boots and the motor mounts...

If you do the top end... take the little extra time to pull the whole motor and do it on the bench... you can do a better/cleaner job there and it gives you a chance to check the steering gear and clean the filthy oil-soaked bulkhead as well as the very important motor mounts. Those issues are as important as the pistons themselves.

POLZIN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Farmington NM
I have 800 miles on the motor in my 900 and I am going to put new pistons in just for peace of mind. last time I lost a skirt and it cost me over 3k just getting it back on the snow .Cheap insurance IMO

sleddude

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima WA
Time to rebuild

Well I ordered my piston kit and new crank from Babbitts today. The crank just said that it includes parts 5-7 but a few others on the forum have ordered it and said it is a kit that includes a clutch and belt, all seals and gaskets. All for less than 1100 dollars to my door.

Where do you send the cylinders if they need to be rebuilt?

Premium Features