• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

whats does everyone think of 04 900 MC 159

B

Bacon

Nov 26, 2007
Napoleon, ND
I would suggest you look for a 05 or 06 M7. Much nicer sled in the mountains. Then leave it stock and ride the he!! out of it.

KMMAC

Lifetime Membership
Feb 7, 2008
Mount Vernon, WA

whats does everyone think of 04 900 MC 159.

Is there any issues i should look out for or any mods u prefer.

Thanks

Depends on what you can get it for, how handy you are with tools and how familiar you are with some simple up grades that would make it a better sled.. As was said they don't handle the best but that can be modified, the engine is as strong as there is as long as you take care of it. Price is the factor, if you could buy both the 900 and the M700 put the 900 engine in the M chassis and have a great mountain sled.. Seems like a lot but in reality it isn't.. As far as issues with the sled if you don't know what to look for and know someone that is familiar with this type of sled take them with you.

Last edited:
A

Arctic Thunder

Dec 7, 2001
Lewiston, Idaho
I have had both.

My experiance the 900 will pull much harder in every situation compared to a M7. It will out climb a M7 in nearly all conditions.

But the chassis is dated and you will have to ride it.

Personally I loved my 1M900. And I would bet money I could ride it anywhere I could ride a M series. But it isn't as good on the trails.

I know the 900 would hang with most of the M8's, that is about how I compared the 900. It was very comparable to a M8 when climbing. But would still pull harder on the hard pack.

So good sled IMO

Thunder

A

Arctic Thunder

Dec 7, 2001
Lewiston, Idaho
whats does everyone think of 04 900 MC 159.

Is there any issues i should look out for or any mods u prefer.

Thanks

Basic Issues:
primary clutch-not a great cluthc, but no worse than a new M series either

cracks in the tunnel right in front of the foot well, behind the little plate they install in the foot well. On the inside they cut a relief in the tunnel to bend it and they like to crack right their.

Mods:
Boss hi rise seat (or other brand, the stocker is like a sofa)
forward stearing post mod, make the rider position a bit farther forward.
upgrade the stock parabolic skies.
I liked twin pipes on mine, slp's running 4:1 91 oct with av gas
HPS can sounds really good on the stock pipe and saves some weight

Then ride it hard.

Thunder

ya i got the sled and it is a brute i will rip my arms off:face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-hap. i bought it for 2,400 witch i thought was a good price, i has 2,800 miles on it and is in great shape.
I set up the suspension by dropping the the top slid rail bolts down to the next notch and it brought up the front end, and moved the rear rocker arm forward to get a little better ride. put a handle bar riser and that is it so far. Might do a little more tweaking on the suspension. But if i find a pretty cheap m8 i will definetly consider buying it.

Last edited:
T
Apr 20, 2009
Washington
If it is the carb model then there is a lean condition on the trail in the 4-5500 rpm range. No real easy fix. Think it is the timing key that advances it during the mid causing them to run a little hot. Burp the throttle every 10-15 sec and you will be fine. I dont think the EFI model has this issue but check it out before you cruise down the trail. I put a 2 inch riser on mine. If you have the attach 20 track, flip it around and climb anything but you loose some breaking ability. So far mine has been a gas and go sled.

1Mike900

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2007
Bellevue, Wa
They are literally a gas and go sled, as long as you vary the throttle and run good gas in it! Don't put cheap 87 octane in it as you will detonate it sooner or later. Feed it more air with a cheap intake mod, DnD Y and a pipe mod, SLP, Speedwerx etc... and hang on! This thing will be turning on like you can't believe! Then dump some weight and really have fun. Just takes some getting used to, as it can get out of hand real fast when climbing due to the speed it can build if it hits some compact snow below the fluff. This thing still puts a s-eating grin on my face! Mike

ya it is efi so hopefully i don't have to worry about it leaning out:face-icon-small-dis. I was also thinking about gearing it down to a 9 tooth driver I like boondocking so it seems like it gets way to much speed when i am doing that. If i gear it down will that hurt my climbing at all. N i heard on these sled that they run a little better on ethanol, has anyone had this experience.

KMMAC

Lifetime Membership
Feb 7, 2008
Mount Vernon, WA
To gear it down you don't have to change the drivers,, change the gears and chain to the hyvo chain set to get the extra strength, Keep asking here, some one will give you a good ratio for what you want to do. As far as climbing and gearing that's the tricky part you have to find a happy medium. Like some one said run super in it, ethanol is not a good fuel, you never know what the blend will be if you read the pump it says UP TO 10% and knowing the money grubbing fuel industry the ethanol amount is probably higher.

Premium Features