• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

What to do about an atv engine failure?

Z

zr600

Oct 26, 2001
Bismarck ND
I have an 05 grizzly 660 that has had a major engine failure 100-200 miles after a full rebuild with crank rod piston, but they didn't put in a new timing chain and i asked if we should and they said it didn't need to be replaced. Here is more of the story.
Here what happened at first. It backfires while trying to start. Just started smelling fuel in the garage and rode it a little bit and sometimes the smell would go away then it would come back for a while. THen it was running and a went to unload it from the trailer and it started and halfway off the trailor it died and wouldn't start since. THats when i noticed the fuel running out of the bottom of the carb. Put a new needle and seat in isn't leaking anymore but won't start. So then went to adjust or check adjustment on the valves and found all this.
Now to day my cousin and i decided to try and get this thing running has been sitting since 2011. So we were going to start by checking valve lash and found a buster rocker arm on the center intake valve. So then we pulled the valve cover off and checked the timing on the cam and found that way off and could spinn the cam gear by hand and the crank didn't turn. The timing chain was extremely loose. So we tore the head off and found a indention in the piston from the center intake valve and the center intake valve bent. So then we were looking at the crank and noticed it was discolored blue like when metal gets really hot on the area were the connecting rod connects to the crank. So i might i have something else going on here. Any ideas would be great.
I can't make it to the dealer till wed. to talk to them about this they are the ones that did all the work on the rebuild. Now this engine was rebuilt from the crank to new piston about 100-200 miles ago then i started having some problems. Im going to take the machine and all the bad parts with to show them and see what they will say or do. Any tips on dealing with the dealer too would be great.

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
i would say your in a tuff spot because of all the time that has passed. what kind of warranty did you get with the rebuild? sounds like it either jumped time or was never set right in the first place. i don't think any dealer warranties rebuilds for more than 6 months. i would say if push comes to shove you really have no recourse unless they gave you a 2 year warranty. i would try and see what they will do to help you out, try to be nice and see if you and the dealer can both come to an agreement that will benefit you both. if you go in there with a bad attitude demanding they fix it no matter what i can see things going badly. it is tuff enough to get them to warranty things within the warranty period let alone years later. good luck, let us know what happens.

Dam Dave

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2001
Montrose
Why would a 2005 need a rebuild in the first place?? the rest of the machine should fall apart before that engine!!

Z

zr600

Oct 26, 2001
Bismarck ND
I didn't own this machine since it was new so i don't know the history of maintence before. I beleive it was sunk in water cause there is mud and crap everywhere and when i took the clutch cover off once to do some maintenence there was dirt and some sand in there so i think it was sank. It had about 800 miles on it when the factory motor went the rod threw it bearing.

Dam Dave

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2001
Montrose
I didn't own this machine since it was new so i don't know the history of maintence before. I beleive it was sunk in water cause there is mud and crap everywhere and when i took the clutch cover off once to do some maintenence there was dirt and some sand in there so i think it was sank. It had about 800 miles on it when the factory motor went the rod threw it bearing.

sell it.....800 miles and 2 engine failures!!!!.............your problems will never end, you will never get the sand out without a complete disassemble and cleaning, every bearing is suspect and should be replaced

Z

zr600

Oct 26, 2001
Bismarck ND
It has been completely disassemblied all new bearings and new crank then the timing chain jumped 180 and bent a valve marked up a piston and broke a rocker arm.

Premium Features