• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

What size of pack is best?

C
Oct 22, 2013
western nebraska
Currently I have a non Avalanche backpack. I finally have my wife convinced I need one after she went to a trauma training in Colorado and they showed the benefits from wearing one. I do not know what capacity my pack currently is. I'm looking at is a snowpulse pas in either 22L or 35L. 22 seems to small and 35 seems way to big. I wonder how big most everybody's packs are for storage. I like to carry enough supplies to be comfortable knowing if I have to spend the night I will have what I might need

AKDoug

Lifetime Membership
Jan 27, 2009
I have a BCA Float 32 and I wouldn't go smaller. It is ideal for what I carry in a pack. It can get a little heavy, but I always have my fire starter, food, and EPIRB on my body at all times. I also keep my spare gloves, wool hat, and water in my backpack. Of course, my shovel and probes are in the pack as well. I want to be able to survive if I depart my sled for any reason.

OldMtn58

Lifetime Membership
Jan 19, 2015
I have the BCA Float 25 Turbo fits all of my overnight essentials with plenty of room left, the nice thing about the Turbo is you can carry your shovel with the handle attached outside of the bag.

J

jerrydecoy

May 12, 2011
coeurd'Alene, id
Float 32. As stated above... it does get a lil' heavy at times but after coming real close to spending the night on the mountain one time the smaller packs just don't allow me to carry enough survival gear to feel safe! Buy what feels best to you. Any bag is better then no bag!!!

Dirty Steve

Lifetime Membership
Feb 3, 2012
Central MN
I have an ABS Vario 15L. I carry shovel, probe, Leatherman, first aid kit/survival, fire starting stuff, SAM splint, empty canteen with aluminum canteen cup, and a blue tarp. In a waterproof bag inside I, have a spare pair of socks, warm gloves, mid layer if I'm not wearing it, beanie and headlamp, Spot Device, GPS, and some jerky.

I really have zero room left in the 15L except for maybe some small stuff. To me this is the perfect size. It is compact, but I can carry everything I need and nothing more. I would like to be able to throw caution to the wind like a lot of other guys and barely carry anything in my bag, but I wan to live if my sled gets buried, goes off a cliff, bursts in to flames, etc.

Premium Features