• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

What drop and roll?

P

pura vida

Nov 26, 2007
i did the fabcraft last year on my o7. 7/8th down and 3/4 back. main reason i went with this one was it was pretty much the first complete kit out. others came out shortly there after. but i am very happy with mine. it is A LOT of work. sled must be torn down to bulkhead and tunnel only. even the oil and coolant reservoir brackets must come off. once i had it stripped and the needed pieces welded in my a local welding shop and the rest of the install wasn't bad. it is just the prep work that take a long time. there are other kits out there but they will all take about the same about of work/effort/time. i'm glad i did mine but would i do one again?? well i don't have plans to do it on the stock d8 i have. but that is the stock sled and the 07 is the mod and my daily rider. so if you want one i say go for it but just be prepared for the work and time.

pv

P

pura vida

Nov 26, 2007
i have always been a huge holz fan. like everything i have ever received from them. more than likely would have gone with their kit but at the time they were not offering one. i don't know the details about the kit but from my experience when you get something from them it is well researched, works, and the instructions are clear. but as far as specifics, i don't have any details. i think any of the kits are decent, i just wouldn't go with anything that was much over an inch back or down, but jmo.

pv

T

TREE MAGNET

Oct 28, 2008
ST. MARIES
I'm putting a fastrax d&r kit on my 09 d8 along with a van amburg tunnel the kit looks very clean & curt is awesome to work with. the kit is 3/4 down & 1 inch back. no welding & come with a tigged rock gaurd.

T

TREE MAGNET

Oct 28, 2008
ST. MARIES
The holz kit doesn't sound that great to me if you look at the clearance between the track & bulkhead I think you would want to move back also. As much work as it is to install a d&r move it as far as you can. Fastraz kit come with instructions to re position your suspension so the ride & handling stays the same

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
The clearance problem on Dragons lies mostly at the roof of the tunnel not at the front.

If you have a bulkhead (front of tunnel) heat exchanger, delete it and install the plastic block off plate from a stock dragon. This will free up the space you need at the front.

With 8 tooth drivers (only 8 tooth is avail in 2.86" pitch) the stock clearance is 5/16" (8mm) at the roof of the tunnel, 1" at the front w/o the cooler in place...running the stock 2.4" tall track.

All of the Mfgs above (FasTrax, Holz, Fabcraft) make high quality kits.

The Holz kit moves the Chaicase, on the angle it sits, 5/8"... with the angle it moves down and rearward some.

If you want MORE D&R, Run the FasTrax..... if you want LESS, run the Holz.
Different degress of D&R have different effects on the handling of the sled.

Good luck in your choice

Last edited:
S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
The fastrax d&r kit only requires dropping the drive train and dosn't require welding which warps and weakens the bulkhead. It takes roughly 8 hrs to install a kit.

8 hrs.... dont tell my wife, she will wonder why I spent most of my summer in the shop last year... :rolleyes:

Fastrax would be my choice, simple, clean, and great customer service!!!!!!

J-Dog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 13, 2007
Idaho Falls Id
I used the Fastrax kit it was alot of work everything went well very good kit . That being said would I do it again ? NO , I always wanted to D&R a sled to see what it would do . Well at least on the 08 D8 this is what I found . I have done alot of mods to mine that I had no problem telling the gain in performance. With the D&R I can't tell if it helped or no . So to me it is not worth the work or cost .

Premium Features