• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Washington Sidekick Turbo fuel and setup

B
Nov 27, 2007
Hey guys, first time turbo for me. I picked up a '19 850 axys with a sidekick turbo from Carl's. Just wondering what fuel guys are running in WA with the Idaho head? I typically ride BP and Baker so leaving from 2800ish ft, riding 4-7K. First time up last week I was bouncing off the DET with 92 non eth on the non eth setting, I tried the eth setting and didnt see a change. Boondocker suggested trying a couple gal. of Av gas which I'll be doing this week. Does that seem to work for any of you or should I go right to race gas? Any other advice? Thanks...

go-on-two

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
bc canada
I run 50-50 Av to chevron 94, it never dets. I run from 4000'-7 as well.
I would rather be safe then sorry, good fuel is a happy engine.

live2beel

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
When switching over to better fuel, remember it will take a bit to get the older fuel out of the secondary injectors.

go-on-two

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
bc canada
Mine is the 2018 BD Sidekick pump gas kit with tunnel dump exhaust. i believe its a 4.5lb its been a few years!!

G
Dec 20, 2007
I run a 2016 800 with a boondocker sidekick at 5000-8000ft. I run 6-8 litres of c12 with the rest 92 pump gas, so ~15-20%. Also, 6oz of eve gold per tank.

A local Polaris guru whom has been installing 10-20 Boondocker turbos for years swears by race vs av gas; the lubricating additives (lead) makes the difference. His thought is that the premix and lead keep things lubricated when you come off the throttle, but are still under boost for the brief second once the injectors have stopped fuelling.

In his exp, he thinks that the above mix plus low boost (sidekick) creates the perfect environment in the engine, and actually prolongs life.... most of his customers are getting 3500+ boosted miles out of a stock 800.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
I run a 2016 800 with a boondocker sidekick at 5000-8000ft. I run 6-8 litres of c12 with the rest 92 pump gas, so ~15-20%. Also, 6oz of eve gold per tank.

A local Polaris guru whom has been installing 10-20 Boondocker turbos for years swears by race vs av gas; the lubricating additives (lead) makes the difference. His thought is that the premix and lead keep things lubricated when you come off the throttle, but are still under boost for the brief second once the injectors have stopped fuelling.

In his exp, he thinks that the above mix plus low boost (sidekick) creates the perfect environment in the engine, and actually prolongs life.... most of his customers are getting 3500+ boosted miles out of a stock 800.
AV gas has lead in it also.........

It’s just cheaper........

T
Feb 25, 2011
Ellensburg
I run a silber with 7lb spring on my 16 axys and had a GTX 2860 boondocker turbo on the 13 rmk. Tried different combos of VP race fuel, AV, and premium. Straight AV gas has been the best option for both sleds without a hiccup. I ride 5500 to 6800' in Eastern Central WA.

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
Hey guys, first time turbo for me. I picked up a '19 850 axys with a sidekick turbo from Carl's. Just wondering what fuel guys are running in WA with the Idaho head? I typically ride BP and Baker so leaving from 2800ish ft, riding 4-7K. First time up last week I was bouncing off the DET with 92 non eth on the non eth setting, I tried the eth setting and didnt see a change. Boondocker suggested trying a couple gal. of Av gas which I'll be doing this week. Does that seem to work for any of you or should I go right to race gas? Any other advice? Thanks...

Given you purchased the sled from Carls, you’ll more than likely need to add weight to your clutch due to the lower elevation here. Underweighted clutches will allow engine to over rev or rev to quickly. To protect from this, the ECU will see this and then trigger and set off the DET message.

Premium Features