• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

WA Snow bike registration simplified.....I think.

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
Maybe not simplified, but explained.
The attachment was sent from the DOL to the DMV office I attempted to register my bike at. It explains, in part where the DOL is at with trying to figure this out.
I was attempting to register as a snowmobile only based on the Timbersled Vin # not the bike's, as I've read could be done. This cannot be done anymore. The snowmobile registration must be tied to the part with the motor, the bike itself.
The DMV office I went to, Snoqualmie Credit union, is as well informed as anyone on this.
The short story is:
1. Of course, the bike/kit combo has to be registered as a snowmobile to be used as such.
2. You can dual register a bike for on road and off road provided the bike meets the on-road standards, inspection, etc if its a converted off road bike.
3. You CANNOT register an plated on-road bike as a snowmobile. Period. If you want to register a street legal enduro as a sno machine, you have to forfeit the license and registration.
4. You can dual register an off road bike as an orv and a snowmobile.
5. You can register an off road bike or an on road bike as a snowmobile only. Subject to losing the license plate if its a street legal bike.

I'm sure there are plenty of offices who are confused on this still but this is what I gleaned as being the correct info regarding snow bike registration.
What I'm unclear on yet is, considering ALL bikes are supposed to be titled in WA and snowmobiles are not, is whether the bike can or needs to be titled if registering as a snowmobile only. As well, if any bike, when registered as a snowmobile only, CAN be titled without buying the ORV registration as well. Like if a guy has a dedicated snow bike but needs to reserve the right to sell it as a bike later and not a snowmobile.

Any recent experience with this would be good to share, as the DOL is recognizing snowbikes as sleds but the RCW's have not caught up to the process.

None of this is surprising as DMVs/DOLs in every state I've lived in are a mess.....with the exception of AK.

Last edited:
U
Sep 12, 2010
So the state doesn't want my money? I have registration plus seven permits for my damned car and no one complains when the time comes to take more money.......

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
So the state doesn't want my money? I have registration plus seven permits for my damned car and no one complains when the time comes to take more money.......

I don't understand what you're saying. I'm pretty sure they do. I walked out of the dmv yesterday over $500 lighter in the wallet for a title transfer and a snowmobile sticker.......and let's say, I was a little optimistic about what I paid for the setup. IE at least they haven't figured out how to tax for the Timbersled half....yet.

P

Powderboy

Nov 1, 2001
Renton, WA
I've never considered a snow bike but if giving up my KTM's steet legal status for a snow bike I'm for sure not dong it. So much for getting use out of your dual sport during the winter.

K

kell8071

Feb 4, 2013
Vashon, WA
Sorry to bring this one back up but I have recently moved back to WA from OR. Any updates on how to register our kits? Preferably without having to register my bike as a snowmobile...

Kell

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
Find a dmv that doesn't know what they're doing....
Seriously. That's how I registered my boat when we moved here. Be d@mmed if I was going to shell out over 4 grand to put a WA sticker on the side of it.
And don't go to north bend dmv.....
And good luck to the guy that said just don't register. Unless you only ride places like Stevens pass or somewhere the fish cops don't hang out you'll spend some $ in tickets. Got me last year because on of my kids sleds was still only registered in AK. Nevermind the half dozen valid WA tags I had parked there in the Sno park.

K

kell8071

Feb 4, 2013
Vashon, WA
Find a dmv that doesn't know what they're doing....
Seriously. That's how I registered my boat when we moved here. Be d@mmed if I was going to shell out over 4 grand to put a WA sticker on the side of it.
And don't go to north bend dmv.....
And good luck to the guy that said just don't register. Unless you only ride places like Stevens pass or somewhere the fish cops don't hang out you'll spend some $ in tickets. Got me last year because on of my kids sleds was still only registered in AK. Nevermind the half dozen valid WA tags I had parked there in the Sno park.

You shouldn't have to pay sales tax on anything that you have owned for more than 3 months before moving to WA.

http://dor.wa.gov/content/getaformo...onbysubject/taxtopics/outofstatevehicles.aspx

My goal is to not pay dirt & snow tabs for a dedicated snow bike. BUT, I would also prefer to not devalue the bike by titling it as a snowmobile so future owners can't get dirt tabs in the future.

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
^^
That's just for vehicles.
All recreational vehicles.....dirt bikes, quads, boats, campers, sleds, etc get use tax applied to an inflated "book" value....some cr@p book that only one the DMV uses.
The exception is proof of state tax paid previously in another state will get deducted from the total, or cancel it out if it's more than WA is soaking you for.
Also, a bill of sale can be used to value the item for use tax purposes.

So if ya move here with toys you bought used, paid cash private party, etc no sales tax paid, you get dinged.

K

kell8071

Feb 4, 2013
Vashon, WA
^^
That's just for vehicles.
All recreational vehicles.....dirt bikes, quads, boats, campers, sleds, etc get use tax applied to an inflated "book" value....some cr@p book that only one the DMV uses.
The exception is proof of state tax paid previously in another state will get deducted from the total, or cancel it out if it's more than WA is soaking you for.
Also, a bill of sale can be used to value the item for use tax purposes.

So if ya move here with toys you bought used, paid cash private party, etc no sales tax paid, you get dinged.

I missed that fine print, ouch! What about on plated bikes or motorcycles?

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
I think plated bikes are fine. 90 day rule. Wonder what that means for street legal quads and sxs now that you can license more of them.
The division between use tax and sales tax/90 day rule is whether it's transportation or a "recreational vehicle."

Problem is, can't register a street legal bike as a snow machine. As explained to me, would have to forefit the title in favor of an off road title then can be registered as a snowmachine. Essentially switching titles 2x a year to do it legal if it's o road and a snowbike.
See, complete bullchit....

Last edited:
Premium Features