• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Voltage regulator????

C

chadkrump

May 26, 2008
Amenia ND
Okay guys,
My buddy has a 98 XC 600... Started it up this summer to move it etc, and when he went to throttle up the lights flashed and then nothing, headlight and taillights do not work, but the gauges still light up... Im guessing the voltage regulator???

Anyone have any other thoughts about this?? thanks

CK

rmkboxer

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Bonney lake WA
It could be the voltage regulator. I have one if interested. pm me. it could also be a short in the wiring but if the tach works then it is usually not a grounded out wire.

retiredpop

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Calgary
It could be a corroded or loose ground connection on the voltage regulator. Do you have a voltmeter? You should read 10 to 15 Volts AC on a lighting coil lead to ground depending on rpm but not over 15 volts.

L
Jul 18, 2001
WA
volt reg

Sand the ground areas and install a new volt reg, they don't cost very much for that year.
Was this sled stored outside? Check other connections then before you install new bulbs.

C

chadkrump

May 26, 2008
Amenia ND
It wasn't sitting outside, so it was never wet... I have my meter here somewhere, just need to find it. I will check the regulator and see what is outputting.

I guess I could check to see if the bulbs are good too, but would be really weird if they all worked and then all of the sudden they all go out. Thanks guys!

CK

Premium Features