• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

URGENT! best Pro!?

A

AKdragon12

Jun 11, 2012
Anchorage
veteran polaris owners needed - please advise on 2013 pro rmk 155

trying to find a reliable sled for the next two years in alaska. here are my options that I need to decide on this week or pass them up

1) 45 miles, wrnty expires oct 2013, stock: $9600
2) 945 miles, wrnty expires nov 2016, few small mods, well used: $9800
3) wait out Fall season trying to wait for another good deal before snow flies (prices likely go up/risk not finding)

ps cant wait to mod her up (clutching/weights,2014 belt, rail stiffners, new c&a boondock skis, wrap, tether, extreme bumper)

comments and advice on sled purchase desperately needed to prevent costly repairs all winter! thx gents/ladies

M

MN mud man

Feb 13, 2011
if you are going to mod the crap out of it buy number 1 cuz warranty wont do you any good :juggle:

RobertTrivanovic

Lifetime Membership
Nov 8, 2012
Abbotsford BC
Read around, warranty seems somewhat pointless on the pro depending on What is wrong with your sled. I would go choice #1 put in some fix it pistons and have a good reliable sled (for the most part) that will last you awhile.

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
Depending on the mods you want will weigh heavy on whether or not you want warranty, especially they way shops have been getting with warranty claims.

Otherwise I would wait, 14's are coming and those guys with 12's and 13's are going to want to get rid of them.

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
I would recommend going out and having a chat with Chris grabber at hatchers pass Polaris,(you can tell her Mike Hobson sent you) and see what kind of a deal she will make you on a 14(every year the pro gets better both as a sled and motor reliability) and if that's out of your price range see if she can get a holdover or knows of a good used sled.....mike

A

AKdragon12

Jun 11, 2012
Anchorage
solid responses (and options haha). if you notice my mods are mainly cosmetic/structural so as not to compromise warranties-as thats my main buying point-but good to know and likely to vary dealer to dealer. wasilla polaris in AK has a great dept from what i hear

id love a carryover yet seem overpriced with the cheapest around going for $11k (only 1 yr wrnty)

thoughts?

issues: warranty coverage? things to prepare for besides collar and a-arm glue?

nothing more valuable than unbiased polaris vets

m1kflyingtiger

Lifetime Membership
Jan 28, 2010
Soldotna, AK
After some experiences at marita sea and ski in anchorage and south port marina in big lake, I will never spend another dime in Marita and, without hesitation, drive to big lake to get parts, sleds, and service. I've delt with hatches Pass Polaris in willow and wasilla and they are both top notch as well.

$11k is pretty dang close to their cost. Unless you get a factory rebate program your not going to find it too much cheaper.

T
Dec 14, 2012
Alaska
I know Big Lake polaris in wasilla has a few hold over 13 assaults, one is the demo with less than 500 miles asking $9,500 i believe and the new one asking $11,800 or $10,800.. I don't remember. Mckinley polaris in Healy, AK sold me a 14 assault (snowchecked) for $12k even. And as a side note i still haven't chose my warranty option, any opinions? 1. 2 year warranty with $600 in accessories, or 2. 4 year bumper to bumper warranty? Thanks!

H
Feb 8, 2008
Hpak in wasilla should have some trade ins as well. And keep your eyes on Craig's list and got to the ak forum on backcountryrebels.com

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
Get the one with only 45mi on it. It basicaly is a new holdover sled as is. Offer $9k cash and bring a few hundo extra just in case. Screw the warranty. At $9k you will already have $1-2k saved for "warranty work" vs your next option for a new machine. Other than spending some $$ on the engine which will be good for quite a few miles anyway, the rest of the common "warranty" problems already have cheap fixes, like for the A arms coming un glued, drive belt, driveshaft collar, etc.

That is unless you don't want to wrench on it at all and would rather take it to the shop if anything goes wrong. While I have only owned 1 vehicle/toy ever that legally had a warranty (ie: bought it new and no obvious warranty voiding mods), about 70% of my breakdowns have been self inflicted, 20% something wore out that was way past warranty and about 10% that could have been considrered warrranty. And most of them happen when you want to ride the next day or in the middle of a trip, so no time for the dlr to fart around with it anyway.
Bought my '12 Pro, out of warranty, 18 miles on it! Haha, divorce sale, poor b@$tard got his sled sold out from under him by his soon to be ex wife! The $ I saved vs a new one with only 18 less miles on it could buy me the whole Indy Dan kit plus some extra stuff anyway compared to the cost of a brand new one.

cateye5312

Premium Member
Mar 28, 2009
Grand Junction CO

trying to find a reliable sled for the next two years in alaska. here are my options that I need to decide on this week or pass them up

3) wait out Fall season trying to wait for another good deal before snow flies (prices likely go up/risk not finding)

ps cant wait to mod her up (clutching/weights,2014 belt, rail stiffners, new c&a boondock skis, wrap, tether, extreme bumper)

comments and advice on sled purchase desperately needed to prevent costly repairs all winter! thx gents/ladies

None of the mods you mention should tamper with the warranty. Make sure that you transfer the warranty into your name within 30 days of purchase. There is a $50 fee I think to do that. The dealer that you plan on using for service can transfer the warranty for you. ( and then make sure they do it - I heard someone complain that they paid their dealer to make the change and it didn't happen)(p.s. my dealer did it for me for free - I assume they ate the fee) I did that last year with two different sleds and blew both motors. Each one cost me $50 to fix. Both were stock with cosmetic mods only.

By the way those were the 2nd and 3rd motors respectively that I have ever had blow up in over 30 years of riding - one had a bad crankcase seal that was pressed in incorrectly from the factory and the other one had a bad prime on the oil pump. There was a service bulletin on that and the previous owner didn't have it done. Polaris still covered it. You can check the history of your sled with the dealer and make sure that any service bulletins and updates were done to your sled.

IMO _ it really comes down to the dealer when dealing with the warranty.

A

AKdragon12

Jun 11, 2012
Anchorage
lots of good help - especially the local guys

do factory clearances expected at this time each year? (guessing after the initial sales of 14's are in)

basically since no one has supported the 13 with 900 miles....best reasonable case is that I'm looking at a carryover sled for $11,000 / 1 yr wrnty, or this garage sled for $9500 + $1300 3 yr wrnty = $10,800

...or wait and hope something great comes along that "fits my fancy"

it'll definitely be going to hatchers or big lake. marita has done well getting it into the shop in a timely manner, yet never fixed ANY engine issues (mapping/det/suspension) work and is why I sold my dragon.

also great point - depending on how quickly hatchers/big lake turn sleds, I've done all repairs myself in the past and cant afford for it to sit in line 60mi away this season :/

:typing:

i'm scared to wait for more craigslist 13's but maybe its still super early?!

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
dragon, HPP wont sit on a sled in for repairs..normally its in on Monday, out a few days later..they are very very good about keeping you on the snow.. as for warranty..might call a reputable insurance provider(statefarm/allstate) and see what they can get you an aftermarket warranty for..might end up with a better and cheaper warranty...

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.

Option #1
Gas, oil, pull rope. Have fun!:face-icon-small-ton

Premium Features