• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Upper Steering Bushing / Bulkhead (OFT Racing Fix)

Norona

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2007
North Vancouver, BC
www.noronalife.com
Is there any changes from the prototypes ?

Same as prototypes, since it has been the same on xp and xm, the bolt in the front is not where the pressure would be, remember what you feel in your garage, you might not feel in the backcountry riding, which is the case with this. I can not comment what each individual felt on certain proto's since I don't know if they were hit or not , so it would be wrong of me to comment. I can and do only comment on what I know, what I have felt and what others have said. That is with over 1500 plus miles on the G4 and many more miles with customers, dealers etc. Again i am not suggesting this part is crap or not worth it, but guys worry about weight primarily then they start questioning parts and add heavier beefed upparts, and guess what your sled is heavier...if you want to add this slick looking nicely made part then have at her, but my remarks are just to confirm that the part is strong, has been proven and needs to be ridden. lucky for us we are a few weeks of having them out on snow which is when all this will go away and guys will be out ripping!

S
Aug 18, 2008
Seattle, WA
Quit your bitching.......

The problem with the steering post is the same problem wirh the shocks, track width, small gas tank, wide running boards, ect..
The solution.. its needs to snow.. so instead of inventing problems with your sled, you can just ride the damn thing...

I read this stuff and laugh. These are the same guys i ride by on weekends that have their hoods off and beer in thier hands talking about how bad *** their blah bkah bkah is and how they have 2 more hp than my sled and they cut the weight down by 10 lbs.

Quit your bitching !!!! and.....

Pray for snow !!!!!!!!

If it aint broke, dont fix it.

bak 7.jpg pol 2.jpg pol 4.jpg

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
I can tell you this part is very strong.

On the test-ride one of the riders set of a massive avalanche while riding the G4 he was almost under when he gripped a handful and came rocketing out of the moving Avalanche.
As the avalanche slowed he hit the leading wave so hard it bend the riser and handlebar forward and down. He got about 100 feet of air and landed safely in the pow. He was lucky to not have broken his wrists .His hands and wrists were so swollen he could hardly hold a beer that night -- but he did:) and the steering stem stayed in place with no damage. No -- It was not me. But for the guy talking about the 3 min Test ride I got at least 1/2 hour I must be special:face-icon-small-blu

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
But for the guy talking about the 3 min Test ride I got at least 1/2 hour I must be special:face-icon-small-blu

Trust me you aren't special. I had one at my house for 2 days and got to ride it for a day myself. Regardless there was a lot of people that didn't even get to try one or got 3 minutes to ride it in the pouring rain but bought them anyway because Dave is such a kind, hard working, nice man...

Norona

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2007
North Vancouver, BC
www.noronalife.com
Trust me you aren't special. I had one at my house for 2 days and got to ride it for a day myself. Regardless there was a lot of people that didn't even get to try one or got 3 minutes to ride it in the pouring rain but bought them anyway because Dave is such a kind, hard working, nice man...

Actually every rider at Mount Baker got to ride the sled as long as they wanted. Some guys were out for 30 minutes. But I never had to tell someone to bring the sled back, which was very cool, guys took their ride and passed it on. If your complaining that others only got 3 minutes, maybe cause the sled was at your house for a night and day. Did you take it out with riders? As I stated before when you were upset about a photo I put up. Those were what we call mules that the public can't ride for various reasons. The photo was from January or something. And yes Ski-Doo has an amazing customer base who love this sport and ordered without even seeing one in person. Like the whole mid and eastern USA. We would love to get more people on machines in the spring, however the demos we did for 2 seasons were super expensive and at the end it was not a lot of buyers riding, but rather just guys who wanted to go for a free ride. And with limited production of the 850 Ski-Doo knew they would sell all they could make. If you were super keen on riding the 850, you could get a ride out west pretty easy, maybe not on the first day, but through the spring, you might have also had to travel a bit as well. Ski-Doo is trying to leave it in the hands of the dealer so they can let those who try it who are really interested in purchasing one. Once those people have had a ride then usually people just hanging around for the day get on it. Works pretty good! Snow is starting to accumulate up here in BC now so game on!:face-icon-small-coo

ntm_08

Lifetime Membership
May 21, 2009
Well if the steering bushing/setup is the same as the prototypes, it will be sloppy after some seat time. Both 850 i rode had slack in them. I notice it right away. Xm with high milage does not compare. A 3'd 850 in a show had the same play. It may be safe in the end, but it shure is irritating. The premium/quality feeling is important.

Goinboardin

Premium Member
Nov 15, 2009
Laramie, WY
While the bushing part looks identical to the XM, the mount is different. The XM uses 2 bolts to secure the block. May be a non issue but don't claim it's the same setup on older sleds.

C

cbouton

Jan 6, 2013
Soldotna, AK
Looked at a sp 165 yesterday at the dealer and noticed side to side play but tight foward and backward and up down. I assumed it's the new "T-motion" steering post to give a little extra momentum to initiate side hill, to go with the skid. Ha ha. In seriousness though everything else on the sled seemed of high quality and excellent fit and finish. I won't let it detour me from purchasing but if it becomes an safety concern we at least have an option now.

Norona

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2007
North Vancouver, BC
www.noronalife.com
While the bushing part looks identical to the XM, the mount is different. The XM uses 2 bolts to secure the block. May be a non issue but don't claim it's the same setup on older sleds.

True, it is the exact same set up but one less bolt, the bolt structurally is not needed, it is not what adds strength so they eliminated it. Ride it and you wont notice any change or slop, in the garage pulling on it, you will. It is the answer from the engineer. Cheers dave

B

BallsDeep_5280

Oct 16, 2012
CO

I read this stuff and laugh. These are the same guys i ride by on weekends that have their hoods off and beer in thier hands talking about how bad *** their blah bkah bkah is and how they have 2 more hp than my sled and they cut the weight down by 10 lbs.

I can guarantee this is not true. But to each his own. When I saw that upper bushing it made me glad I bought an Axys. My steering bushings all have 2 bolts that hold them nice and tight :face-icon-small-ton. Whether its an actual structural ticking time bomb waiting to go off is still up in the air, but its a pretty ****ty design to have a hole for a bolt, and no bolt in the hole.

I like the OFT bushings. They are a great product at a good price. It's usually the first part I upgrade on my sled to get rid of that poo steering slop. If I had a doo, I'd replace that crap bushing just for piece of mind.

OFT Racing

Lifetime Membership
Nov 5, 2008
Anchorage, AK
www.OFTRacing.com
True, it is the exact same set up but one less bolt, the bolt structurally is not needed, it is not what adds strength so they eliminated it. Ride it and you wont notice any change or slop, in the garage pulling on it, you will. It is the answer from the engineer. Cheers dave

There are multiple ride reports saying different. Also you keep saying it's the same block, that is true. The difference is that it is the only sled on the market with a steering post not surrounded by metal 360 degrees. We get it you want to bash this post as much as possible and I appreciate you keeping it at the top of the threads.

S
Nov 26, 2007
Washington State
There are multiple ride reports saying different. Also you keep saying it's the same block, that is true. The difference is that it is the only sled on the market with a steering post not surrounded by metal 360 degrees. We get it you want to bash this post as much as possible and I appreciate you keeping it at the top of the threads.

Got your panties in a bunch? I don't consider Norona's comments as bashing, they're far from it. The dude even says it looks like a nice piece of work and if you feel like buying it then buy it. I'd be happy he even sent the info to Doo Engineers to get an answer/reply, never seen that from other brands and sponsored riders. I get it, you want to sell the product but Norona's far from being a dick about it. If the stock stuff sucks the aftermarket product will eventually sell.

OFT Racing

Lifetime Membership
Nov 5, 2008
Anchorage, AK
www.OFTRacing.com
Got your panties in a bunch? I don't consider Norona's comments as bashing, they're far from it. The dude even says it looks like a nice piece of work and if you feel like buying it then buy it. I'd be happy he even sent the info to Doo Engineers to get an answer/reply, never seen that from other brands and sponsored riders. I get it, you want to sell the product but Norona's far from being a dick about it. If the stock stuff sucks the aftermarket product will eventually sell.

I really don't, I was just commenting on the trend of his posts and responded to his comments in that particular post. Forums will always have comments for and against stuff it's the nature of the beast. But as stated it keeps the thread at the top as a bonus.

M
Apr 24, 2016
Yukon

I really don't think he was bashing you, however, until we ride these things we really won't know if the part is needed or not for the majority of riders.

If there's a market for it, I'm sure your product will sell.

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I think it's great that those who feel this is an issue have an option on how to remedy it before the season even starts. Those that don't feel it's an issue still have a great sled to explore the backcountry.

What a time to be alive! :)

Premium Features