• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Upper or lower front skid mount holes for 09 M8?

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
I thought I read it's best to drill out the lower holes (only visible from inside the tunnel) for best skid performance?

If this is the case, why does Arctic Cat insist on sending these sleds from the factory with the front skid bolts in the upper hole?

Confused in Spokane

K
Jan 19, 2008
Utah
My sled is an 08 m1000, but I prefer the lower holes... The sled stock has little to no weight transfer... In the lower holes it has some transfer, but not too much.
Rear shock pressure plays a big roll in how it goes in the powder.

K
Jan 19, 2008
Utah
I would start at about 110lbs.
I was running less pressure last year trying to get weight transfer and it trenched like crazy.
I am 5' 9" and 185... 110 seems like a good # for me, although I have been adding 5lbs each ride trying to see what the difference is.
If you have a windshield bag, the pump fits nicely between the 2 side pods.

K
Jan 19, 2008
Utah
Are there any negative impacts from utilizing the lower mounting holes?

At first I thought it trenched more, which could be possible.(slightly steeper aproach angle)
But once I aired up the rear shock it quit trenching and is just more fun to ride... (slightly more transfer)And with my simmons skis it lightened up the front end, so steering effort in packed conditions is better.

I am a little worried about it being easier to stab the track, but I have put on hundreds of miles and no issues.
I tried all posible mounting positions exept upper front and lower rear, and lower front, upper rear is my favorite.
I also tried both front and rear in the lower holes and it felt more tippy and did not notice any improvement in the pow.

TNTCOPP

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Buckley, WA
The stabbing was what I was thinking of , maybe an anti-stab kit would be worth it when doing this ........

At first I thought it trenched more, which could be possible.(slightly steeper aproach angle)
But once I aired up the rear shock it quit trenching and is just more fun to ride... (slightly more transfer)And with my simmons skis it lightened up the front end, so steering effort in packed conditions is better.

I am a little worried about it being easier to stab the track, but I have put on hundreds of miles and no issues.
I tried all posible mounting positions exept upper front and lower rear, and lower front, upper rear is my favorite.
I also tried both front and rear in the lower holes and it felt more tippy and did not notice any improvement in the pow.

Premium Features