• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Triple?

C

chunkysoup

Sep 23, 2009
Waterloo, WI
Just curious to see if anyone thinks that the polaris triple 2 stroke will make a comeback. Im sure it wouldnt be the same old fuji but would the mountain guys even want one? Its not like the weight would be the problem obviously cuz people r buying those heavy fourstrokes and all. I know i would love to have the triple comeback. Great power, great reliability, and that sound was just amazing! I guess i just dont see y they dont bring them back with the new lighter chassis's. Any input?

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
It boils down to economics.

Triples have more moving parts which cost more.

Twins are producing some very impressive hp numbers in consumer trim.

Emissions plays a HUGE role ... would the triple be better for that?

Weight is a HUGE selling factor in the new sleds with Polaris and Doo and Cat stressing their light weight sleds.

Size of the motor plays a role in these tight new chassis configurations and skinny bodywork..

For those reasons... I don't see the triples making a comeback.

I have seen some talk in two stroke development of a come-back of the rotary-valve design using computer controlled valves to give good power and tighter control over emissions than currently available with the reeds. (might be good for turbos as well).

C

chunkysoup

Sep 23, 2009
Waterloo, WI
It boils down to economics.

Triples have more moving parts which cost more.

Twins are producing some very impressive hp numbers in consumer trim.

Emissions plays a HUGE role ... would the triple be better for that?

Weight is a HUGE selling factor in the new sleds with Polaris and Doo and Cat stressing their light weight sleds.

Size of the motor plays a role in these tight new chassis configurations and skinny bodywork..

For those reasons... I don't see the triples making a comeback.

I have seen some talk in two stroke development of a come-back of the rotary-valve design using computer controlled valves to give good power and tighter control over emissions than currently available with the reeds. (might be good for turbos as well).

Yes the triple would cost more to make than a twin but a triple is no way more expensive than a 4 stroker.

weight is understandable but all these new 4 strokes are very heavy in a very bad spot, where a triple will only be around 20 pounds heavier than a twin.

I think a triple with a big single pipe would do fairly well with the emissions, power robbing but it should work.

the chassis's r getting smaller but i would assume they could make one fit, not really sure on that. guess we will have to wait and see if someone transplants a triple into the pro chassis.

how much more power can these companies really get out of the twins without doing major factory mods and sacrificing reliability.

bring back the triple in the lighter chassis and considering how far technology has come it should be bullet proof.

maybe im just one of those guys that misses the triple sound and power.

Turbo Fuel injected 1200 triple! OH YEAH!:face-icon-small-hap

Premium Features