• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Trip to West Yellowstone

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
FYI, you'll want both MT and ID tags to go to Two Top. Get them both, anyways, and you won't have to dink around. Cabin Creek, north of West, will be a nice mix for her, too. Will be lots of peeps, tho. If you carry gas, you can easily go through Cabin Creek and drop into Carrot Basin, which will be fewer peeps, just locals coming up from Taylor's Fork. Or trailer 45 mins to Taylor's Fork yourself, and ride up to Carrot from there.

S
Nov 15, 2008
Northern ,wi
FYI, you'll want both MT and ID tags to go to Two Top. Get them both, anyways, and you won't have to dink around. Cabin Creek, north of West, will be a nice mix for her, too. Will be lots of peeps, tho. If you carry gas, you can easily go through Cabin Creek and drop into Carrot Basin, which will be fewer peeps, just locals coming up from Taylor's Fork. Or trailer 45 mins to Taylor's Fork yourself, and ride up to Carrot from there.

Is there a nice spot to park up by Taylor's fork I don't remember from last year? And that's off 191 isn't it

agalen

Lifetime Membership
Oct 31, 2011
Helena, MT
Szotty: it's usually plowed out for a bit of parking down by the road....don't waste your time trailering into the main trail head, it's much faster to just ride sleds in! and yes 191 just south of big sky.

sledheader

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2013
Between a Rock and a Hard Place

Awesome suggestions! I may need to look into a mountain addiction setup for each of the sleds for trips such as this. They wouldn't always be needed but from time to time it might be worth the coin.

sledheader

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2013
The girlfriend eluded to wanting to go into the park and see old faithful since she has never been there. So it looks like 1 of the 4 days of sledding is going to be lost :( Oh well, I guess I better keep her happy....

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
Is there a nice spot to park up by Taylor's fork I don't remember from last year? And that's off 191 isn't it

191 at Taylors Fork creek. Get there early, by 8am if a Sat., and finding a spot won't be an issue, either by the road or at the trailhead, whichever is open this winter. You'll have better snow up in Carrot, too. Especially if you have a long trailer. The lot by the road can be a rodeo late Sat. morn, when the snow is good. I assume the trail up will be occasionally groomed this year, too.

I-see-powder

Lifetime Membership
May 2, 2013
Livingston, MT
Keep in mind that since you're going in the park one day, you will need to go with a guide and rent Best Available Technology sleds.....or go by snowcoach.

There is also this option. The Non-commercially Guided Snowmobile Access Program is where you get certified online and basically get to guide yourself. You would still need BAT to enter the park. Have fun!!

sledheader

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2013
Keep in mind that since you're going in the park one day, you will need to go with a guide and rent Best Available Technology sleds.....or go by snowcoach.

There is also this option. The Non-commercially Guided Snowmobile Access Program is where you get certified online and basically get to guide yourself. You would still need BAT to enter the park. Have fun!!

I signed up for a snowcoach for the park day...not so cool but I imagine the girlfriend will enjoy a break from riding and the way I understand it, I can't take my 2 strokes in the park anyway...right?

Mn_Mtn_Cat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 20, 2008
Wadena, MN
The snow coach ride in the park is pretty cool. We have done 2 of them, the north and the south. You will enjoy it.

sledheader

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2013
Premium Features