• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

TRICKS OF THE TRADE

K
Dec 29, 2014
TRICKS OF THE TRADE
Just kinda curious what unique upgrades guys have going on. Small things that go along way. These are just a couple tricks that I've done have done! please feel free to add yours!

-On the old metal chain case we would drill a hole along the side of the case large enough for a ATV tire valve stem. After drilling the hole installing the plug we would remove the valve stem core and now you have easy access to lube your chain without having to remove the case.

-many people don't know that their vent needs to be relocated or it will likely freeze pressurising your motor blowing gaskets and seals. k & n has many filters that will fit these lines. Most people relocate the lines into the air box of the bike and throw a filter on them with the appropriate snow pre filter cover.

-when installing you brake line and brake caliper for the first time it seems to always be a pain to get it clear of air. I usually just remove the caliper and hang the hole brake system on from master cylinder on the top to the caliper on the bottom overnight. it seems to work the air out. It takes longer but the head ache ive faced with trying to bleed those brake systems for me i dont even bother tryin the old fashion way anymore.

- if you have a 4 stroke run an exhaust heat shield because you WILL burn your pants. Ive had many angry customers because our demo bikes didnt have exhaust shields.

-heated levers. kinda a cool trick that does work. you can run an atv thumb warmer on your clutch lever cover with heat shrink. even if your not heating your lever I always heat shrink them makes them not so cold!

-on the top of your gas cap you have a vent line that is either caped with a colorful valve or you have a line that goes into your goes into your frame. By putting an on/off manual turn valve on the line if you run into a situation where you need to roll your bike and its upside down you can turn that valve temporarily so you dont drain all that valuable VP fuel.

Im sure some more will come to me.

ADDITIONS

PRODUCTS YOU RECOMMEND!?

-highly recommend cyclops lights for any efi bike. Most of the kits do no require a stator upgrade and some kits DO NOT REQUIRE A BATTERY! They have found many alternate routes to the light find a power source with unique plug and play easy to install wiring harnesses.

-AME heated grips are an easy option for any rider they have a aux battery kit for those guys with power limitations and a standard option. They are a simple no mess lock on grip that can be removed without damage for guys that ride their mx bike in the summer and dont want all those wires kicking around. They have individual controls for left and right grips ( i never understood why). They also have a function that will notice if your battery is being drained and going to die, they automatically turn off. How ever if you are good with wiring I would recommend ordering individual components to create the a similar style wiring harness but with stick on higher wattage heated grips as the ame grips are a bit low watt. Heat Demon sells the individual components to make a custom harness.

-Tm Skid plates are in my opinion the best skid plates suited for snowbiking. Check them out for yourself and you will see they provide a small shield on the side of the skid plate that no one else does and thickness of material is very impressive.

Last edited:
N

Northwestguy

Apr 1, 2010
Panhandle NID
I just did mine for the first time last night with a large syringe and tubing pushing it in from the bottom up. I was anal about not letting any air into the system. I also had a stainless braided line made up. I got them semi firm (ahhemmm) but not really as stiff as I had hoped. Does the lever ever really get that hard / firm.

mrquick68

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2004
Kirkland, WA
Another trick for bleeding the brakes is getting close with the old pump and bleed routine. Then tighten everything and put a zip tie on the front brake lever and pull it into the bars nice snugly and leave it over night. Nice and firm in the morning!

K
Dec 29, 2014
I just did mine for the first time last night with a large syringe and tubing pushing it in from the bottom up. I was anal about not letting any air into the system. I also had a stainless braided line made up. I got them semi firm (ahhemmm) but not really as stiff as I had hoped. Does the lever ever really get that hard / firm.

yes I have had one bike that felt the same as when the were on wheels. Not sure if its luck or what happened but it was nice.

Sickness

Lifetime Membership
Mar 18, 2014
Denver, CO
KTM brake bleeding

For KTM's
It's expensive, but I just got sick and tired of the bleeding nightmare. Buy another brake master cylinder from Honda. You can leave both snowbike and dirtbike master cylinders connected and never bleed brakes again! 2006 Honda CRF450r master cylinder is $150

I could not get the ktm 300xc brakes to bleed. I tried everything. My 2006 Honda CRF450r, on the other hand, bled with just a reverse bleed. No kidding, I grabbed the brake lever for the first time, and it was hard, done, maybe took two minutes. I put one on the KTM, reverse bled, grabbed the handle, for the first time, hard, done!

SteepNdeep450

Lifetime Membership
Jan 1, 2014
Bozeman, MT
For KTM's
It's expensive, but I just got sick and tired of the bleeding nightmare. Buy another brake master cylinder from Honda. You can leave both snowbike and dirtbike master cylinders connected and never bleed brakes again! 2006 Honda CRF450r master cylinder is $150

I could not get the ktm 300xc brakes to bleed. I tried everything. My 2006 Honda CRF450r, on the other hand, bled with just a reverse bleed. No kidding, I grabbed the brake lever for the first time, and it was hard, done, maybe took two minutes. I put one on the KTM, reverse bled, grabbed the handle, for the first time, hard, done!

Or buy one off ebay for half that.

C

Corban_White

Dec 30, 2009
For KTM's

That's exactly what I did. Except I got one on eBay for $35 shipped. Works great.

Dec 1, 2007
livingston MT
Instead of spending $250 on foot pegs, get yourself some cheap steel pegs (I found a set for $80) some 3/4" X 1/8" steel flat bar(very inexpensive), bend the steel around a pipe or large socket with the same diameter as the width of your peg and weld them on for additional peg width. From there you can add traction or a raised outer edge. Then paint and your ready to ride!

Premium Features