• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Trailing arms keep tearing apart

S

Snowjunky

Jan 19, 2008
Loveland,Colorado
I have a 2002 edge rmk. I am on my 4th set of trailing arms. I keep ripping the heads apart. This is a picture of a brand new set of stockers(wps) after 1 ride on the bumps at Albany. No rock chips or stumps just hard snow. I am running ajustable Ryde FX shocks . I have checked the shocks and they do not appear to be bottoming out. The ride is alittle harsh but I am on #2 with the compression ajustment. Any one run into something like this?

snowys 2009 april 10 021.jpg snowys 2009 april 10 019.jpg

T
Dec 6, 2007
I have a 2002 edge rmk. I am on my 4th set of trailing arms. I keep ripping the heads apart. This is a picture of a brand new set of stockers(wps) after 1 ride on the bumps at Albany. No rock chips or stumps just hard snow. I am running ajustable Ryde FX shocks . I have checked the shocks and they do not appear to be bottoming out. The ride is alittle harsh but I am on #2 with the compression ajustment. Any one run into something like this?

That is very strange because I have hit some nasty stuff with trailing arms and they all bent, even sheared the rear mounting bolt off once but I have never had one fail like yours.

leisureexpress

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 27, 2008
The second pic is a little fuzzy, but it looks like cold crappy welds to me.

WPS does have a lot of their stuff made in China.

I would get some OEM stockers and see if you fare better.

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
I'd have to blame it on aftermarket arms if that's what they are. I beat the living crap of my old edge and never had one look like yours do.

sledcaddie

Premium Member
Feb 11, 2008
Lincoln, NE
poor welds

I'm a AWS Certified Welding Inspector. The welds on the silver arms are "cold" and show lack of fusion (lof) at the toe of the weld. These welds all look like the person welding them was being paid "by the piece", so went as fast as they could; welds hold until they are put under a load. I couldn't quite see the welds that well on the red ones. Some aftermarket parts are cheaper for a reason. You sometimes get what you pay for. Let the buyer beware.:rolleyes:

Premium Features