• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Trail tanks

J

Jkinzer

Nov 27, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Just got a picture of my new tank an thought i'd share it... its one of the new trail tanks from creation composites. holds over 15 gallons of fuel and bolts right into the stock location. had Jordan at Arctic FX wrap the tank to match my sled and it turned out awesome! anyone who's sick of carrying spare fuel and always having to stop to add it ( like myself) i'd definately recommend this product.
here's a pic, i'll post some up when i get it on the sled next week
TRAIL TANKS

Last edited:
J

Jkinzer

Nov 27, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
still waiting to get my chassis back from the powdercoating, should have it a week from sunday, at which point i'll post up some pics of the install of all the aftermarket goodies were putting on the sled for this season including:
timbersled front and rear suspension
ice age rails
AC 90 Duro power claw
avid 7 tooth 3.0 drivers
TONS of Fire N' Ice vents
Custom better boards
and lots of powder coated parts

HammsRMK

Lifetime Membership
Dec 21, 2008
Central ND
thats awsome i wish they would come up with something like that for older sleds. sweet man can't wait to see the end result.

hypnotoad

Lifetime Membership
Mar 21, 2009
what does a tank like that do to the handling when it's full? would think it would throw the center of gravity way back?

A
Aug 3, 2008
North Idaho
what does a tank like that do to the handling when it's full? would think it would throw the center of gravity way back?

Good point I hadn't thought of, anyone ride with one for some insight? I bet Jeremy doesn't mind, with a turbo and all :D Actually I am wondering if it wouldn't help the handling??? With the extra horses I mean.

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.

It shouldn't be much different than throwing 3.5 or 4 gallons in your gas rack instead of 2.5... and it will still be more forward as you pack gas in cans behind your seat instead of under it... So I would think it wouldn't be too bad.

And now you can move your tunnel bag that much farther forward, that is if you use a tunnel bag.

With that in mind, I wouldn't be surprised if the handling actually improved overall compared to carrying a can.

:beer;

thats awsome i wish they would come up with something like that for older sleds. sweet man can't wait to see the end result.

X2

550iq

Oct 7, 2008
Anchorage, Alaska
Well I was thinking some anti-slosh foam might work well in this application. Or maybe the tank in two parts, say 12 and three gallons, vented together - don't need 15 gallons, leave the other tank empty. A way too cool product, hope they have them for viewing at Puyallup. Nice to see the blogging heating up - winter must be approaching. Already had a 30 degree morning here in Northway, Alaska. Cheers.

J

Jkinzer

Nov 27, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Well I was thinking some anti-slosh foam might work well in this application. Or maybe the tank in two parts, say 12 and three gallons, vented together - don't need 15 gallons, leave the other tank empty. A way too cool product, hope they have them for viewing at Puyallup. Nice to see the blogging heating up - winter must be approaching. Already had a 30 degree morning here in Northway, Alaska. Cheers.

I will have mine at the 208 productions booth in Puyallup so stop by to check it and the new vid out!

Burr

Premium Member
Jan 10, 2008
Luverne Mn
So do we need anti -slosh foam in a tank that holds 3 gallons more than a stock tank to be a good rider with this set up?Great set up but anti -slosh foam come on!!!

550iq

Oct 7, 2008
Anchorage, Alaska
Burr,
The idea of the anti-slosh foam is to minimize mass-in-motion. Most additional fuel tanks are separate, and drained first. Also, if you do not need additional fuel, you won't utilize the added weight of added fuel. The design of the Trail Tank requires you no choice: sooner or later, one will have a lot of fuel weight moving around a huge expanse. Say 60 pounds or so constantly moving for and aft, and up and down. My intended use of the Trail Tank is the 1,000 mile Iron Dog trail ride. Done in 5 days over a million sections of bumps, hills, turns, sidehills with overflow, open water, deep snow, roots, ditches, sea ice ridges, etc. I just do not want a bunch of out-of-control-motion acting on my sled. But I may be overreacting here. So, why don't you join me this February on the ride, you with your Tail Tank without foam and me with foam. We'll compare notes over a beer once we get to Nome. That's my thinking anyway. Cheers.

A
Aug 3, 2008
North Idaho
It shouldn't be much different than throwing 3.5 or 4 gallons in your gas rack instead of 2.5... and it will still be more forward as you pack gas in cans behind your seat instead of under it... So I would think it wouldn't be too bad.

And now you can move your tunnel bag that much farther forward, that is if you use a tunnel bag.

With that in mind, I wouldn't be surprised if the handling actually improved overall compared to carrying a can.

:beer;

X2

I agree with you, this tank looks like a winner imo. I carry 5 gallons on my tunnel and having this tank does put the weight farther forward than that, not to mention the pain it is to carry gas anyways...don't know about anti-slosh foam, increased cost etc whats the diff when you burn 5 gallons to get to the play areas anyways.... Looks like a great product.

550iq

Oct 7, 2008
Anchorage, Alaska
First of all it is too cool to chat about all things Polaris with you guys, its a shame we may never get the chance to break powder together. My vision is not of a weight issue but after you burn off that 5-7 gallons of fuel. Then you will have 8-10 gallons of gas sloshing around in an area with room for 15 gallons. If you stop quickly, or lay the sled over in powder, what will be the effect on the sled when that 10 gallons of remaining fuel moves? Well, I don't know but I'll tell you this, I will finding out first hand when the Trail Tank gets installed on my new 600 Switchback Dragon Iron Dog sled. See you in Puyallup! Cheers.

Premium Features