• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

TPS Adjustment Numbers, Before/After

R
Dec 3, 2001
CO
I have my sled tore down and decided it was a good time to try to figure out this TPS situation.

I feel I've had a bit of a; I'd call it rich/fat bottom end. Slow/Low RPM thru the trees requires a lot of throttle chopping to keep it responsive. Otherwise its pretty fat feeling.
I see many say even with oiler turned up and oil in tank that they don't feel this..so I felt I needed to look into the TPS.

Anyway, the numbers:

I used a 12.05 volt source power supply; this is unloaded/not plugged into a circuit.
Once plugged into ECM+ (orange) and ECM- (brown?), I heard the fuel pump burp for a fraction (tenth) of a sec. Loaded voltage was 12.00 v.

Before even adjusting my throttle bodies and backing off the throttle cable tension I tested the 5v source from the clear plug above the head (that has nothing connected to it) using the red/white wire. I read 5.03-5.04 v.

I then checked the TPS voltage by back-probing the light blue wire (#7) on the bottom ECM connector. I spent a lot of time tracking down the right connector/wire. Its the wire on the outside edge (closer to MAG) of the connector, about in the middle, right next to a yellow/red [yellow wire w/ red trace]. Voltage here (again, prior to adjusting throttle bodies or cable) was .954 v.

I backed off the throttle bodies; on the MAG side there is a allen screw and lock nut (its pretty obvious). Loosened the lock nut, and backed off the allen screw until I saw a gap between screw and throttle body plate. I also backed off the throttle cable adjuster to create slack in the cable. Voltage reading was .755 v.

I proceeded to adjust the TPS (accessible from the PTO side, just underneath the clutch guard, look for 2 phillips screw heads) by loosening the 2 screws and very slowly rotating until I found .700 v. After snugging the screws back up voltage reading was at .701 v.

Then I adjusted the throttle body allen screw back to .940 v. After snapping throttle a few times to verify, I tightened the lock nut. Voltage was reading .939-.941 v.

I readjusted my throttle cable slack, verifying I wasn't increasing voltage at all from the previous .940 v setting.

Just out of curiousity I checked WOT voltage and was seeing 4.18 v.

I also did a TPS sweep, slowly increment throttle through its range, and I didn't see any dead spots. Numbers looked to increase and not stop or drop at any point.

So, my question to the people who know, was my TPS 'way off'? Enough to cause running issues? .954 v at idle setting. .755 v at default setting.
Oh, and what are others seeing for WOT voltages? Anyone else curious? :)

For reference, this is a 2011 Pro RMK 800 155 with ~3000 miles.

Last edited:
X

xc6rider

Jan 12, 2009
Iowa
Id bet that your initial settings were off enough to cause issues, and quite possibly the issues you described.

You were almost 10% off on base setting, and with it set high, your initial idle voltage of .940 would of had the throttle plates closed more than the engine may like, with an improper base setting to boot...

You should have a smoother throttle response, and your idle may come up a bit from where it was at prior, or atleast have the proper mixture at idle.

D
Nov 16, 2011
I brought my 12 800 in last week to have the TPS checked and adjusted, under the guise of being a 5-pull starter when cold. @ 1400miles, t was time to have it looked at anyways.

Initial was a .91, WOT was a 3.94. When adjusted up to a .94, my PERC was inop.

New TPS, .94 and IIRC 4.17 WOT.

B

Bturton

Oct 3, 2012
Medicine Hat, Ab
Mine was .977 and .779. Never really had any ride ability issues.
Just adjusted it for peace of mind. My idle may have come up to 1800ish from 1750.

Turts, typing on Tapatalk

B

Bturton

Oct 3, 2012
Medicine Hat, Ab
2013 pro 800
This is how much I had to move the sensor.
asuve4em.jpg

Turts, typing on Tapatalk

Last edited:
R
Dec 3, 2001
CO
Thanks, it was my understanding that the 13 had a cleaner/leaner fuel map already vs. the 11s. So possibly that makes it less noticeable? Or, that is just wishful thinking on my part..

If this doesn't fix/help my fat bottom end, its likely the "blue" injectors that are next....
Is there any way to test injectors? That is, get a duty cycle reading to see whether they are closing properly/not hanging open?

Am I correct in understanding that the injectors come as a pair with wire and harness?

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Just set the TPS on a zero mile, fresh, 2013 800 RMK.

The base-line setting on this was off... it was high at .726v. This would, at least, have the ECU referencing the wrong point in the throttle position.

Set the baseline to a more correct .698 (where I like it), sync and idle at .940 using a Fluke meter and solid 5.00v supply.

Base voltage should be .690-.710

Make sure you have the throttle cable disconnected as well as the idle set screw backed off.

THEN...After that...
Set your idle voltage to .93-.95 VDC

K
Apr 29, 2017
I just tested my tps on my 2011 pro rmk as I am having issues not getting to 8150rpm. It's not my clutches as I've swapped both from another machine. Anyway my tps is now set to .7 and .94 but my full throttle reading is only 4.09. Could this be causing my issue?

Premium Features