• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

time for new primary on m7 and have a ?

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
first off i've heard the newer clutches on the m8s will fit my m7 and are better built than the stock m7 clutch is this true?

if so what is the difference between the 08 and 09 clutch as ive been doing some searching and noticed they have different part numbers. i found a decent deal on new 08 primary clutchs for like $269. would this be a good upgrade from the stock 06 clutch or is there somethin about the 09 clutch that would make it worth spending the extra $100+ on an 09 clutch?

i know either one would be better than the worn out piece i have now, just don't wanna be replacing it again anytime soon.

thanks

brandon.

M

mtn_extreme

Nov 11, 2002
Nampa, Idaho
Brandon,

The m8 primary has an outside diameter of 8.5 inches and the m7 is only 8 inches. That is the only difference. Don't know about the 09.

That is a good price and would be a great primary for you.

F
Dec 5, 2001
back country
I thought it was the other way 'round, MX...? with the bigger 2ndry, the '07 & up didn't need the 8.5 primary.... My understanding is if you run the later primaries with a 10" 2ndry, you could shift the belt out of the primary...but you can run the bigger 2ndry with the early primaries.

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
the site says they are 8.25 diameter with 33mm taper. part# 0746-192

don't know how big the 06 clutch is but it never shifts all the way out anyways so i dont know if it would shift the belt out or not.

if thats the only diff. then i might just pick one up and if its smaller than the stocker just keep an eye on it for a bit. if it works it sure beats payin 400 for one.

Last edited:

ArcticFamily

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
MN
Your M7 primary was an 8.5" (33mm)
It and a zillion other primary's were replaced by 0746-416, which is 8.25".

It's likely also avail from the same place you got your price from.

I know because I just had a bolt go through my clutches and have purchased said primary, uncalibrated. Shipped same day I ordered.

Good luck.

Premium Features