• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Throw away sleds?

S
Jun 9, 2011
Idaho Falls
I bought a new pro rmk last year. The only problem I have with is the power. It doesn't seem to have as much as the other 2 strokes. It definitely not for really steep and deep. My question I wanted to ask, "Are these sleds throw away sleds?" I've been hearing this recently about the polaris. Most say they are good for twoor three years under moderate use, but if you plan on riding hard sale it every 2 years. I've noticed at the Puyallup snow show everyone had a pro for sale. They are also cheaper than doo or cat if you look for a hold over from last year. RMS told me to rebuild the engine after 1000 miles because of the short skirted pistons. The repair would be covered under warranty. I don't want any problem with mine this year or any down time. I currently have around 700 miles. I don't know when to do it. If I do it at 1000 miles I'll miss out on riding but if I don't and something bad happens not only will I miss out on riding but also be left broke down in the mountains. What are your thoughts? Throw away sled or not. Please explain. I hope I made a good choice buying a polaris.

Bocephus

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2010
its-about-to-go-down_fb_2760937.jpg

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
IMO, yes it is a throw away sled. Same with the cats. Complete junk. If you look at them wrong, they fall apart.
The reason the sleds are throwaways are because the manufacturers, in pursuit of winning the lightweight title, have taken all the strength out of the sleds.
They also are going with the cheapest suppliers which affects the quality of the sleds.
In any motorsport since the invention of motorized vehicles, cheap parts and lightweight have never, ever went together in the same sentence. Somehow though, the sled manufacturers have convinced us to pony up $15,000 or more to have the privilege of breakdowns, dealership arguments, warranty rejection and backcountry tow outs.
I'm mostly talking about real mountain riding and not so much groomed trail riding.
Yeah, some might say that they have never had a problem on their Poo or Cat but I can almost guarantee they ride like senior citizens.

A
Nov 26, 2007
Elko, NV.
I am going to have to respectfully disagree. I ride with a group of folks that ride hard day in day out. Since 2012 I have personally logged 5,200 miles of mountain climbing on my Pro including drops, jumps and whoops. If I include the remainder of whom I ride with I would say we've logged 20,000 combined miles without any chassis related breakdown. Our first tow out was a sled that lost a stator last season. I love the fact that they're lightweight and durable. Power has never been an issue, tune'em properly and watch the rest try to hang.

Last edited:

kanedog

Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
Like I said, some people's definition of mountain riding is different than others.
If you have done 5,200 miles since 2012 with 2014 being a terrible snow season the amount of miles you put on makes you more of a trail rider. On a good day in real mountain terrain, 60 miles is a lot and your most likely out of gas. If you haven't kinked a tunnel and no one damaged a pro in your group then you definitely ride like seniors. Not a bad thing, but just the way it is.
As in the original post, if you ride hard then 2 seasons max out of these. I also notice you said "chassis" related problems. Please inquire as to the amount of belts your group has went through. Add in the fact that you have been 5200 miles, how many clutches, pistons and belt drives have you been through? If you say none, then your due for major issues this year as yer sled is about to implode.
There will always be manufacturer nut swingers till the end of time. Kinda like ford, Chevy and dodge guys. Unable to admit that there are better choices out there.

Unfortunately, there is not a whole lot of better choices out there at this time. The junk Polaris is at the top of the junk pile!

Last edited:

mtncat1

Lifetime Membership
Oct 19, 2008
south jordan ut.
Like I said, some people's definition of mountain riding is different than others.
If you have done 5,200 miles since 2012 with 2014 being a terrible snow season the amount of miles you put on makes you more of a trail rider. On a good day in real mountain terrain, 60 miles is a lot and your most likely out of gas. If you haven't kinked a tunnel and no one damaged a pro in your group then you definitely ride like seniors. Not a bad thing, but just the way it is.
As in the original post, if you ride hard then 2 seasons max out of these. I also notice you said "chassis" related problems. Please inquire as to the amount of belts your group has went through. Add in the fact that you have been 5200 miles, how many clutches, pistons and belt drives have you been through? If you say none, then your due for major issues this year as yer sled is about to implode.
There will always be manufacturer nut swingers till the end of time. Kinda like ford, Chevy and dodge guys. Unable to admit that there are better choices out there.

Unfortunately, there is not a whole lot of better choices out there at this time. The junk Polaris is at the top of the junk pile!

thanks for telling me and ever one else on this forum how great of a rider you are , and I know modesty is by far your best quality. fortunately for the rest of us mortals most of what you spew is total b/s. the pro is not a throw away sled the motors and chassis are good for many miles and will last for years if properly cared for. and unless you ride like a tard you don't bed them or break them on a regular basis. I am a large man and tax anything I ride to the max . sorry I probably don't ride up to your standards.

S
Jun 9, 2011
Idaho Falls
Has anyone rebuilt their Pro with updated pistons? I was strongly advised to do so. I was told to have long skirted pistons placed. The dealership said they have seen metal fragments in a lot of sleds they have worked on. It was recommended to me at 1000 miles or sooner depending on how hard the sled is ridden.

mtncat1

Lifetime Membership
Oct 19, 2008
south jordan ut.
Has anyone rebuilt their Pro with updated pistons? I was strongly advised to do so. I was told to have long skirted pistons placed. The dealership said they have seen metal fragments in a lot of sleds they have worked on. It was recommended to me at 1000 miles or sooner depending on how hard the sled is ridden.

I am a big proponent of pistons in these engines I have done several of the rkt and the mountain tech kits both will give you a smoother running and more dependable motor .

kanedog

Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
Mtnct1-Adrenalin addict said he did ride hard mountain miles day and day out and I simply pointed out that with his amount of miles his miles are more trail than mountain miles. Then he claims that him and his friends have over 20,000 miles collectively on their sleds with only one breakdown. I called BS because I know the Pro inside and out and it is JUNK! Motors are weak, motor mounts are garbage, sec'dy clutches last maybe 500 miles and the motors come from factory so out of alignment its not even funny, tunnel is super weak, belt drive blows, track shaft is an engineering blunder just to name a few.

I never once referred to my ability or skill level. I think you read into it a little more than required.

M

millnoff

Dec 5, 2007
My old man is far from hard on things, way more of a trail rider lol. His 13 had like 4500mi on it. He bent his tunnel(wi th a gas can ROFL!), broke the rear bumper from being stuck, had a driveshaft issue and had several recalls done in the 2yrs he rode it. He did order another one because, and I qoute: "there the lightest sleds on the market" so I guess there sales slogans work...

That being said motor always ran good, started right up all the time, and it does work well in the snow. But I'd say they are much more of a throw away sled than any of the other brands. I do like the fact that they push the weight thing though, forces the other 3 to keep striving to.make lighter sleds. Again this is Just my .02$

S
Jun 9, 2011
Idaho Falls
I am a big proponent of pistons in these engines I have done several of the rkt and the mountain tech kits both will give you a smoother running and more dependable motor .

What kit do you perfer? How many miles are they good for? I hope to can get 4k miles on my pro. I might sale it in a year depending on how it runs this season.

T

Torgenrud

Aug 3, 2013
Montana
mtncat1, quote (I am a big proponent of pistons in these engines I have done several of the rkt and the mountain tech kits both will give you a smoother running and more dependable motor .)

I am not trying to get into a brand bashing war and I do not ride a Polaris and Im not trying to offend anyone, but I thought your comment about how great the motors are and then went on to say said how you should put either mtn tech kit or rk tek kit to have a more DEPENDABLE motor is kind of making the point that the motors are not very good. But then say the motors are great? That leads me to believe that if you don't do one of the "fix" kits then the motor is going to grenade.
Just my 2 cents

Bubba

Lifetime Membership
Sep 19, 2008
turkey ridge sd
?

Just wondering on the chevy, ford, dodge thing ? what do you run you must know what's the best. and about your sled what are you doo guy or yami rider, tell us what's the best?:help:

T

Torgenrud

Aug 3, 2013
Montana
I guess my point is that whatever someone is currently riding is the only brand that doesn't have problems, but all the rest do. No one can admit that their brand also has issues. In all reality every brand has their own problems. Polaris does have a tendency to not make it past 1000 miles a lot of the time without one of the fix it kits. Ski doo did have that problem on the ptek motor at about 1500 miles the piston skirt would break off. How some people take care and maintain their sled is a huge part of when that will happen.

But I ride a Ski doo so all the rest are chit until I ride something else :face-icon-small-win
I also drive a chevy haha

mtncat1

Lifetime Membership
Oct 19, 2008
south jordan ut.
mtncat1, quote (I am a big proponent of pistons in these engines I have done several of the rkt and the mountain tech kits both will give you a smoother running and more dependable motor .)

I am not trying to get into a brand bashing war and I do not ride a Polaris and Im not trying to offend anyone, but I thought your comment about how great the motors are and then went on to say said how you should put either mtn tech kit or rk tek kit to have a more DEPENDABLE motor is kind of making the point that the motors are not very good. But then say the motors are great? That leads me to believe that if you don't do one of the "fix" kits then the motor is going to grenade.
Just my 2 cents

i didn't say the engines were the greatest on the snow, but they are far better than people think they are. they do benefit from a better set of pistons plus there is a performance benefit. no machine is perfect in ever way but the debate was are they throw away machines and my point was if properly cared for they are a fine sled. just sayin

Bocephus

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2010
i didn't say the engines were the greatest on the snow, but they are far better than people think they are. they do benefit from a better set of pistons plus there is a performance benefit. no machine is perfect in ever way but the debate was are they throw away machines and my point was if properly cared for they are a fine sled. just sayin

what people?

mtncat1

Lifetime Membership
Oct 19, 2008
south jordan ut.
Mtnct1-Adrenalin addict said he did ride hard mountain miles day and day out and I simply pointed out that with his amount of miles his miles are more trail than mountain miles. Then he claims that him and his friends have over 20,000 miles collectively on their sleds with only one breakdown. I called BS because I know the Pro inside and out and it is JUNK! Motors are weak, motor mounts are garbage, sec'dy clutches last maybe 500 miles and the motors come from factory so out of alignment its not even funny, tunnel is super weak, belt drive blows, track shaft is an engineering blunder just to name a few.

I never once referred to my ability or skill level. I think you read into it a little more than required.

your certainly are entitled to your opinion but I've had 2 2011s an a 13. and have experienced none of the problems you are referring to. we also have been through 6 other pros in are group with the only problem being a cracked piston skirt on a 12. all sleds had great belt life, ran dependably and no tow outs. I also don't back off my statement that you like to judge peoples riding ability's on some imagined lack of being a true mountain rider due to mileage they have rode. p/s I read your attacks on edavis just because he had stickers on the bottom of his sled

mtncat1

Lifetime Membership
Oct 19, 2008
south jordan ut.
Who makes the most dependable snowmobile engine? Rank the four sled companies from best to worst in reliability.[/QU you can't ride an engine you have to look at how the whole package works , as far as kits mtntech and rkt are my preference. if you are looking a just cost the rkt direct replacement pistons are probably the cheapest option .

Premium Features